Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Feb 16, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #4,697 of 6,090
Is it me or do the Tenore have a upper-mid spike?

Think it's you :)

Sounds pretty flat to me. The only peaks I've seen in measurements is at 3Khz, but that's exactly where is should be for a raw measurement, a compensated graph would have pulled that out.

One thing I forgot to mention, these require a bit more power than the GR07, which surprised me a little.

Tenore = 102dB/mW @ 16Ohms
GR07 = 105dB/mW @ 50Ohms

Feb 16, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #4,698 of 6,090
Fantastic IEM for the money, I mean really good. We are living in crazy time where you can get this quality for such little money

Lol, I remember when I was trying to convince archy to just get the Tenore. He seemed dubious, especially because it costs so little. I'm glad he did.

Feb 16, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #4,699 of 6,090
Damn...I might actually prefer these...more listening...

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #4,700 of 6,090
Can you compare the Tenores to the T1E?

Sent from aifon

The ttpod t1e definitely sounds much more forward than the tenores. the tenores sounds more distant and diffused, kind of like an akg q701 with more subbass and smoother treble. the tenore definitely have better imaging, soundstage and naturalness to the treble. The mids are slightly recessed than what i would like on the tenores, whereas the ttpod t1e has much more pronounced midrange which i love (i personally like having forward and almost offensive mids). But a major killer for me for the midrange on the ttpod t1e are the unnaturalness on vocals. bass on the ttpod t1e has more mid bass punch and tenore has similar subbass without the mid bass hump. I personally like the bass on the tenores much more because the overshadowing midbass on the ttpod make it sound more sloppy. If you prioritize realistic and natural sounding more than sound signature then i would go for tenores over the ttpod t1e, but if you like more mid bass and mids then ttpod would be a good choice too. I personally love the tenore over anything else by a big margin just because it reminds me the diffuse and airy sounding q701 with more subbass and less aggressive treble.

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #4,701 of 6,090
I picked up archy121 spare pair of Tenore's and have been listening to them over the weekend. I'd left my GR07 at work so wasn't able to AB them but could help thinking they are on that level.

So I'm at work now and, well, yeah they are! There is so much to like about the sound; flat and fast are the words I'd use. I understand some reservations regarding decay, I think eke2K6 mentioned this, it's almost too quick. I understand why people may find them a little thin.

The treble is more polite than the GR07, sound-stage is wider overall and more 3D. I think the GR07 image slightly better, seems to have more layers to me (need to do more listening), Tenore seems to keep most instruments and vocals further away, again more listening required. 2 things GR07 do better, perhaps better than pretty much anything out there from general impressions, are snare drum and guitar bite.

Fantastic IEM for the money, I mean really good. We are living in crazy time where you can get this quality for such little money

I don't think it's thin but rather diffuse sounding that makes it feel "thin". In comparison to the GR07 Classic that my friend just recent bought, I personally think the tenores are slightly better in every single way. My friend's pair of GR07 Classic is brand new, so maybe there is possibility that burn-in can improve the sound quality on the Classic. I will probably borrow them again to AB them.

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #4,702 of 6,090
Can you compare the Tenores to the T1E?

Sent from aifon

The ttpod t1e definitely sounds much more forward than the tenores. the tenores sounds more distant and diffused, kind of like an akg q701 with more subbass and smoother treble. the tenore definitely have better imaging, soundstage and naturalness to the treble. The mids are slightly recessed than what i would like on the tenores, whereas the ttpod t1e has much more pronounced midrange which i love (i personally like having forward and almost offensive mids). But a major killer for me for the midrange on the ttpod t1e are the unnaturalness on vocals. bass on the ttpod t1e has more mid bass punch and tenore has similar subbass without the mid bass hump. I personally like the bass on the tenores much more because the overshadowing midbass on the ttpod make it sound more sloppy. If you prioritize realistic and natural sounding more than sound signature then i would go for tenores over the ttpod t1e, but if you like more mid bass and mids then ttpod would be a good choice too. I personally love the tenore over anything else by a big margin just because it reminds me the diffuse and airy sounding q701 with more subbass and less aggressive treble.

Sounds like you are describing Sony MH1..

Sent from aiFon

Feb 16, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #4,704 of 6,090
I much prefer Tenore over GR07 MK2.  Better bass impact, more 3D, and smoother treble.

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #4,705 of 6,090
Lol, I remember when I was trying to convince archy to just get the Tenore. He seemed dubious, especially because it costs so little. I'm glad he did.

I'm glad you did too :)

I don't think it's thin but rather diffuse sounding that makes it feel "thin". In comparison to the GR07 Classic that my friend just recent bought, I personally think the tenores are slightly better in every single way. My friend's pair of GR07 Classic is brand new, so maybe there is possibility that burn-in can improve the sound quality on the Classic. I will probably borrow them again to AB them.

It's just because they are so fast sounding, very BA like.

My GR07 are well and truly flamed in, used daily for years now, not that I'm a believer in burn-in personally. I wouldn't consider them sibilant either, never heard anything that wasn't in the recording, shows up on the Tenore as well just less so.

I much prefer Tenore over GR07 MK2.  Better bass impact, more 3D, and smoother treble.

Totally agree, left work thinking I may have been swayed

Feb 17, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #4,706 of 6,090
While the Tenores with no doubt sound great, the strain reliefs and cable are it's weak point.

I do have idea, using heatshrink to reinforce the housing strain reliefs and jack, surprised nobody has done this yet...

Feb 17, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #4,707 of 6,090
While the Tenores with no doubt sound great, the strain reliefs and cable are it's weak point.

I do have idea, using heatshrink to reinforce the housing strain reliefs and jack, surprised nobody has done this yet...

Need to leave the vent clear as well.

Feb 17, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #4,708 of 6,090
Where can I buy the tenore the cheapest which doesn't have build issues or anything (Latest batch preferably)?

Feb 17, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #4,709 of 6,090
Err bit of an issue this morning. It's bloody cold here in the UK and I walk to work, had the Tenore's in the entire way and notices it started to get dark, then darker. I'm now at work and they are sounding crape! I'm guessing there is some condensation inside the housing.

Anyone experiences this with any earphone? I'm hoping it will just dry out and all will return to normal?

Feb 17, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #4,710 of 6,090
Panic over, they dried out quick, back to normal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back