Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Jun 22, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #3,002 of 6,090
Jun 22, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #3,003 of 6,090
I just got my Tenores, and the hype is true. I was very impressed at the out of box sound. I ordered one from amazon, and got a friend to bring one back during his holiday in Japan. One was more bass heavy than the other, and that one had a brighter treble. I gave that one to my gf to use. The more reference pair I did the tip mod and put on wide bore ortofon Ms. They sound amazing out of my DX90, and I'm currently liking them a little more than my f111s. Looks like the QC on the bass on these phones are not consistent...

Jun 22, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #3,004 of 6,090
I REALLY want them now. I was going to order them on Ebay, but it´s a little dissapointing that they are a bit pricier there, compared to Amazon. Can I order them from another place? I live in Chile, South America.

Jun 22, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #3,005 of 6,090
  I REALLY want them now. I was going to order them on Ebay, but it´s a little dissapointing that they are a bit pricier there, compared to Amazon. Can I order them from another place? I live in Chile, South America.

If you order from ebay, make sure to check your country's import tax policy. Goods that have a value bellow a certain limit can be imported safely. If what you order is over that limit it's a gamble. Usually goods that are small in size don't even get their value checked, but if  the delivery company is a private courier (Fedex, Acs or whatever) you will most likely be taxed and charged for clearance expenses. Also, make sure to ask them to mark the package as a gift, sometimes it works
tongue.gif

Jun 22, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #3,006 of 6,090
Could the bass differences be due to the opening on the strain relief?

First off, in my experience, the cable connection may likely get loose in the strain relief. But, the cable is very secure and solid, I have a Tenore I planned to mod and just pulling the cable off took a lot of work. 

Now I know even when they are new, there does seem to be some air escaping from that cable connection, maybe the Tenores with the more closed opening are reference? I will try to seal mine and report back

Jun 22, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #3,007 of 6,090

First off, in my experience, the cable connection may likely get loose in the strain relief. But, the cable is very secure and solid, I have a Tenore I planned to mod and just pulling the cable off took a lot of work. 

Now I know even when they are new, there does seem to be some air escaping from that cable connection, maybe the Tenores with the more closed opening are reference? I will try to seal mine and report back

popcorn.gif
   Hopefully this is it, we be waitin.  

Jun 22, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #3,008 of 6,090

My 1st pair is completely airtight (i also get driver flex while inserting due to pressure), but my second pair had this issue. I've noticed that the seal with the 2nd pair is less airtight than it is with my 1st pair and that the cable is shorter. The thing is, both sound the same to my ears. The only difference i thing i've noticed after a few hours of A/Bing is that the 2nd pair has a hair smoother treble and the difference is so tiny it might just be placebo. I will have to get a Y spliter to make sure, but till now i couldn't spot any noticeable differences in the bass. I've also tested both with tones up to 3khz and they seem identical. 

Jun 22, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #3,011 of 6,090

If you order from ebay, make sure to check your country's import tax policy. Goods that have a value bellow a certain limit can be imported safely. If what you order is over that limit it's a gamble. Usually goods that are small in size don't even get their value checked, but if  the delivery company is a private courier (Fedex, Acs or whatever) you will most likely be taxed and charged for clearance expenses. Also, make sure to ask them to mark the package as a gift, sometimes it works
tongue.gif

Yeah, I know, it has happened to me before that I buy something at an epic price at then taxes happens...
I´m going to be careful with that.

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #3,013 of 6,090
Yeah I didn't get this either. They are very smooth, maybe sometimes too much so. Brass instruments don't have quite enough bite.

Tenores vary in treble smoothness ime. Reference pairs have very present treble to my ears, more than the ER4S for example.

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #3,014 of 6,090
Tenores vary in treble smoothness ime. Reference pairs have very present treble to my ears, more than the ER4S for example.

Mine has maybe too much bite in the brass lol.

After an extra wide j444 mod, I'm liking them a lot more with less than adequate bass lol. Smoothens them out significantly and gives my set a much needed minuscule bump at 3-3.5K for female vocals and some lover level harmonics.

I'll probably try it again with the strips of silicone being 1mm vs almost 2mm and see how they sound (with what I'm expecting as a bit more low end than the currently less than linear).

I'd even go so far as to say I like them more underbass-ed than overbass-ed so far.

Definitely airier too. Good stuff, but isolation takes a big hit.

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #3,015 of 6,090

Very possible. SGS seems to love the bass of the MH1 I recabled, and I very carefully filled the stress relief evenly completely with super glue per rin's suggestion. This lowered the bass in a very nice way. I'm assuming the tenore would have the same effect. If the stress relief loses a perfect seal the bass would be much louder. Maybe someone with a bassier set could cover their stress relief completely with some sort of polymer? Just a thought.

Yeah I didn't get this either. They are very smooth, maybe sometimes too much so. Brass instruments don't have quite enough bite.

I would say a "reference pair" similar to one that I have has more treble in the upper region, noted mostly as further extension than the er4s while possibly having a little less treble in the overall area the er4s has a slight bump. I'll say 2.5-5khz or something like that. It's extremely small in difference. In fact upon comparing side by side they sound very similar. But if you focus on specific treble areas the tenore has a little more of an open sound in the treble. More of a depth to the sound than the er4s to my ears. An example would be when an earphone cuts the 3khz area a lot and boosts the upper treble to create a false sense of soundstage or depth. The tenore is a bit more like that then the er4s, however the difference is so small that relatively speaking the tenore is the same as the er4s compared to other iems. In other words, there is no noticeable dip and peak, just the very slightest impression that it is more open in that sense. If that even makes sense. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back