Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Jun 4, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #2,356 of 6,090
  This is the remix i'm listening to (MS54 Remix) :) . It gives the song a great sound ! Actually I haven't listened to the mashup yet but intent to do it :wink:

Andain has great songs although live performances are really bad . Her voice is edited to sound like that. Promises and Beautiful Things always put a smile on my face .

On my other question do you happen to know if the tenores need an amp to shine (even more) ?

PS: Forgot to mention that Pressure is my personal favourite song (the remix of course) . Nadia Ali has a magical voice and its tailored for this genre of music

Oh man! If Pressure is your fav song, you will definitely love the mashup. Especially if you love trance
I don't have the Tenores FYI, so I can't answer your question - just glad to know they do well with electronic

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #2,357 of 6,090
  Oh man! If Pressure is your fav song, you will definitely love the mashup. Especially if you love trance
I don't have the Tenores FYI, so I can't answer your question - just glad to know they do well with electronic

Yes indeed is great mashup! I wouldn't expect any less from AvB :wink: If you like trance/house music sent me a pm :wink:

Jun 4, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #2,358 of 6,090
I got a notice from the post office. They told me to go pick up my ticked for this chuchu train. I hope i scored a good pair, but even if i have, i will not be able to tell as long as i don't have another pair to compare. So maybe i should buy another one. But what if the 2nd one is also a bad pair? Shouldn't i just buy a third just to be certain? But what if i am unlucky? I mean a fourth pair should seal the deal. But no, you can never be too sure. And five is a prime number, everybody knows you can't trust those....

**** it, i think i will go for a custom instead :p

Jun 4, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #2,359 of 6,090
Mine is burned in less than 20 hours and nothing's changed yet in terms of sound quality. I'll give it a maximum of 100 hours and see. Nope...I haven't given up on my Tenore yet
biggrin.gif

The tips recommended by the OP tighten the bass and make the sound more airy and 3D, if that's what you're looking for.

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #2,360 of 6,090
Just got my Tenores too!
First impressions: they look amazing, I like that they're so small.
Versus the Ostry KC06:
Much better looking (for me) although build quality is good on both.
They isolate much better, maybe they're a bit less comfortable and driver flex is annoying.
Sound wise, they're not as impressive as the Ostrys as an initial impression - much less airy!
Ostrys are nicer with voices and have tighter and punchier sub-bass (the Tenores probably have more bass).
For acoustic music the Ostrys are way better right now.
Anyway that's just first impressions so hopefully they will tighten up.
They're a lot less efficient too so maybe an amp would change things, I'm listening straight from an ELE dac.

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #2,362 of 6,090
  It's not the best quality but I really like the instrumental for this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OluzQ7JmuLk

So what tips is everyone using?

I'm using the ones from the OP.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/665111/zero-audio-zh-dx200-carbo-tenore-zh-dx210-carbo-basso-carbon-aluminium-iem-information-appreciation-and-impressions-thread#post_9463472

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #2,363 of 6,090
Mine sound extremely similar to the hd600, but there is a touch less mid bass, which I find a touch too much (only very slight) on the hd600. That makes the hd600 lower sub bass sound a touch masked or low compared to its bass and midbass. Whereas my tenore sub bass sound level with the bass/midbass, which is why i actually prefer it over the hd600. And the treble is more even for me as well, the hd600 has a very very slight treble rasp (again i'm talking slight), whereas my tenore doesn't. The main difference is that the tenores are closed in and isolated from noise with a smooth silky sound, while the hd60 sound a touch drier with the open back spaciousness...

As for the hd580, my friend's old pair sounded excellent. Very similar to the hd600, but less low end overall a bit and a slightly less even treble response. But still very nice for the price.

I agree. The hd600 is awesome for details even with the slight mid bass warmth.

Yes I totally agree with you regarding the added mid bass on the HD600 which somehow make it a little warmer but that has somehow masked or drowned the sub bass. HD600 is not totally neutral although it's pretty close to me. I love it's mids and treble detail. I find it easier to work with than the ER4s albeit HD600's slight mid bass coloration which I actually love but honestly my Tenore is definitely far from my HD600's sound and Gnarlsagan actually pointed out that I might have a defective pair. So far I've checked everything but I can't find a single defect on my Tenore. Guess I'll just burn in a lot more hoping for some magic to happen even though I'm not a true believer of burn in effects. As for now the Tenore won't get as much play time compared to my HD600, ER4s and GR07. The reason why I chose GR07 to compare with the Tenore previously is because it's the closest price wise to the Tenore and not because it's a perfect IEM. To be honest I'm not going to kid myself over the perfect IEM regardless of any price point because there's none yet for me so my search is always a better sounding one and not the perfect one. Maybe after clarifying this you may understand me better. Being honest about what I hear doesn't mean I'm trying to criticize anybody's opinion.

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #2,364 of 6,090
I'm on my wit's end with these Tenore.  Through various ways of insertion of stocks and hybrids I've found that I can get either a bass-heavy IEM, or a bass-light forward-mid IEM.  It all depends on the amount of seal/vacuum upon insertion.  Making matters worse is a little shift of my head or tug on the cable and it goes from one signature to another.  It's just way too easy to knock it one way or another by accident.  The variation of sound produce based on insertion boggles my mind. 

I purposely skipped on the Mikros 90's for precisely this reason -- in that it had to be seated in a perfect spot on your ears to make them sound great.  Case in point, last night I got lucky with the Tenore as they were sounding phenomenal while I cooked dinner.  Then this morning, same playlist, attempted same insertion but couldn't reproduce the sound I enjoyed the night before.  I moved it in and out of my ears, breathed on the tips, inserted from different angles -- no dice.  Because I couldn't precisely reproduce the angle/seal that I had the night before, I was unable to enjoy it. 

Tenore's are great, but the fit can be an issue.  I would say that once out of every 3-4 times I use these, I get amazing sound out of them that have me contemplating shelving my Ostry KC06.  However, the majority of the time I reach for KC06 because I know I will get consistently good sound out of them. 

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #2,365 of 6,090
  I'm on my wit's end with these Tenore.  Through various ways of insertion of stocks and hybrids I've found that I can get either a bass-heavy IEM, or a bass-light forward-mid IEM.  It all depends on the amount of seal/vacuum upon insertion.  Making matters worse is a little shift of my head or tug on the cable and it goes from one signature to another.  It's just way too easy to knock it one way or another by accident.  The variation of sound produce based on insertion boggles my mind. 

I purposely skipped on the Mikros 90's for precisely this reason -- in that it had to be seated in a perfect spot on your ears to make them sound great.  Case in point, last night I got lucky with the Tenore as they were sounding phenomenal while I cooked dinner.  Then this morning, same playlist, attempted same insertion but couldn't reproduce the sound I enjoyed the night before.  I moved it in and out of my ears, breathed on the tips, inserted from different angles -- no dice.  Because I couldn't precisely reproduce the angle/seal that I had the night before, I was unable to enjoy it. 

Tenore's are great, but the fit can be an issue.  I would say that once out of every 3-4 times I use these, I get amazing sound out of them that have me contemplating shelving my Ostry KC06.  However, the majority of the time I reach for KC06 because I know I will get consistently good sound out of them. 

Interesting post. I was wearing them down, and I get a really good seal, but almost too much bass. Wearing them over the ears, and I seem to get less of a seal, and less bass, but overall more balanced. Not sure which way I like more, but yes, they do change their sound easily. And this is only with the stock medium tips lol.

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #2,366 of 6,090
Mine sound extremely similar to the hd600, but there is a touch less mid bass, which I find a touch too much (only very slight) on the hd600. That makes the hd600 lower sub bass sound a touch masked or low compared to its bass and midbass. Whereas my tenore sub bass sound level with the bass/midbass, which is why i actually prefer it over the hd600. And the treble is more even for me as well, the hd600 has a very very slight treble rasp (again i'm talking slight), whereas my tenore doesn't. The main difference is that the tenores are closed in and isolated from noise with a smooth silky sound, while the hd60 sound a touch drier with the open back spaciousness...

As for the hd580, my friend's old pair sounded excellent. Very similar to the hd600, but less low end overall a bit and a slightly less even treble response. But still very nice for the price.

I agree. The hd600 is awesome for details even with the slight mid bass warmth.

Yes I totally agree with you regarding the added mid bass on the HD600 which somehow make it a little warmer but that has somehow masked the sub bass. HD600 is not totally neutral although it's very close. I love it's mids and treble detail. I find it easier to work with than the ER4s albeit HD600's slight mid bass coloration which I actually love but honestly my Tenore is definitely far from my HD600's sound and Gnarlsagan actually pointed out that I might have a defective pair. So far I've checked everything but I can't find a single defect on my Tenore. Guess I'll just burn in a lot more hoping for some magic to happen even though I'm not a true believer of burn in effects. As for now the Tenore won't get as much play time compared to my HD600, ER4s and GR07. The reason why I chose GR07 to compare with the Tenore previously is because it's the closest price wise to the Tenore and not because it's a perfect IEM. To be honest I'm not going to kid myself over the perfect IEM regardless of any price point because there's none yet for me so my search is always a better sounding one for me and not the perfect one. Maybe after clarifying this you may understand me better. Being honest about what I hear doesn't mean I'm trying to criticize anybody's opinion.

That stinks. My tenore is like a mix of the er4s smooth sound with the hd600 response minus the mid bass bump. And i agree no iem is perfect. In fact what ebrian said is very true. The insertion properties of these can quickly change the sound. I don't like that personally, but i still get consistently good sound once i adjust them, and i'm typically still when listening to music intently... But that's probably my biggest gripe with them and a few other iems. The pfe112 is always the same for me every insertion. Don't see what is so different between fit. Is it a micro driver thing?

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #2,367 of 6,090
Perhaps it's the design of the Tenore which reminds me very much of the ER4s and the HF5 (except for the dynamic vs BA driver part) which is very critical on insertion too. Yes, the PFEs' fit is remarkable and that's why they call it the Perfect Fit series. I like the fit of the GR07 too.

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #2,368 of 6,090
  Interesting post. I was wearing them down, and I get a really good seal, but almost too much bass. Wearing them over the ears, and I seem to get less of a seal, and less bass, but overall more balanced. Not sure which way I like more, but yes, they do change their sound easily. And this is only with the stock medium tips lol.

Yes!  That's exactly it.  We must have a similar ear canal diameter.   They're very bassy when worn cables down.  Even if I do a shallow insertion I can get close-to-balanced, but over time as I walk around a vacuum builds up again and I have to fiddle with them to loosen up the bass.  I find while wearing Tenore's I'm adjusting the seal every 10-15 minutes which is not ideal. 

I prefer wearing them over the ear for the more balanced sound.  Also due to the cable being wrapped around it's less likely for them to shift around inside my ear as they would when worn down.  I had them up as I cooked yesterday and they sounded great.. almost went to my computer to write and rave about it.. but then this morning I couldn't get the same fit again.  

Have you also experienced a hollow sounding signature?  That's when I wear them over the ears pointing upwards.. the bass completely disappears. 

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #2,369 of 6,090
Next time I get the superior sound I'm gonna take a picture of my ears and make a mental note of the exact steps it took to arrive at that sound!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back