Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Jun 2, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #2,311 of 6,090
Luisdent, get back to me after you hear the CK10.  I realized that I will take your impressions with a grain of salt from now on(not that I didn't in the past). You make assumptions and come off rude while at it. Just read your impressions and let me know if you are hyping your Tenores or not.  

My impressions of my Tenore lines up with gnarlsagan who seams more reasonable as he lays out possiblities.  Also Francisk, who's impressions coming off unbiased.  I don't believe I have stated my Tenores are bright, but I have stated that the highs sound more forward after running them while.  If you read my initial impressions, it states that the Tenores sound tight, but the treble sounds too smooth which lines up with other's impressions if you read around.  When I stated the sound is smooth, it means the details are buffed out, so therefore it's not detailed.  I know the distinction between bright and detailed as I've owned dark phones that are very detailed.  CK10 is detailed, but can be overly bright with sibilant recordings.  The difference in CK10 brightness from Tenores forward highs is that, CK10's treble gets much finer, hence CK10 has the capability to pick up intracacies.  

I have stated that my Tenores has changed.  Initially, there were more bass volume, now bass quality seems lower with high being forward.  Like gnarlsagan says, I pushed the volume up, and with sibilant parts or recordings with mix of different types of high pitched sounds going on, it bleeds, sounding congested without separation and distorted.  

Let me list what I have heard. I have heard detailed.

HD650
HD800
HE-6
TG334
SE846
SE535
CK-10
UERM
ER4
STAX-009
STAX Lambda Pros
LCD 2.2
LCD3
UM3X
Westone4
EX-1000
1963 V3

AK100
AK120
AK240
And list goes on

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #2,312 of 6,090
Originally Posted by SilverEars /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You make assumptions and come off rude while at it.

Yet, you seem to have no desire other than to argue. :p

I don't believe I have stated my Tenores are bright, but I have stated that the highs sound more forward after running them while.

If you are inferring that I said that you said that... I never said anything about you saying your tenores were bright. Show me that post.

If you read my initial impressions, it states that the Tenores sound tight, but the treble sounds too smooth which lines up with other's impressions if you read around.

I've read all of your impressions, and you make it sound as though a bunch of other people find them "too smooth". Maybe a few, and I'm not discounting anyone's impressions, but if YOU read a lot of the posts you'll find a lot of people saying they disagree and that the treble is full of detail, "realistic", "natural", etc. I never discounted anyone, including you, for saying yours were smooth when others thought otherwise. But yet, you discount me for saying mine are detailed and reference, when in fact a lot of posters do agree. That's pretty hypocritical.

CK10's treble gets much finer,

Explain that a little more please. "finer"? As in more resolution? Or that you simply hear more of what you call "details" because there is more treble? They both have good low distortion levels, is there a magical resolution specification i missed on the ck10? More likely, the treble signature is why you find them more detailed. As I said many times, there's nothing wrong with that, but that doesn't make them neutral. And it doesn't make the tenores too soft in comparison to the ck10, unless you mean to your tastes, which you clearly do not, as you continue to argue to me (who might have different tastes) that it is.

CK10 is detailed, but can be overly bright with sibilant recordings

"overly bright"? That implies more bright than neutral does it not? Whether a recording is sibilant or not, that shouldn't make it overly bright. You would just hear the sibilance as it was recorded. That doesn't happen with my tenores at all, but I do "hear" sibilance if it's in a recording. Sibilance itself can be harsh, but your comment would indicate it is overly bright compared to other phones. Otherwise, what is it overly bright compared to?

I have stated that my Tenores has changed.  Initially, there were more bass volume, now bass quality seems lower with high being forward.  Like gnarlsagan says, I pushed the volume up, and with sibilant parts or recordings with mix of different types of high pitched sounds going on, it bleeds, sounding congested without separation and distorted.  

Bass "quality"? Or quantity? Distorted and congested when turned up? I get nothing like that. So, as I say every single time you reply to my posts, it doesn't seem like we're hearing the same thing. End of story. But while I give practical theories as to why this is true, you simply call me rude and supply no reasoning. How does that make me rude?

Let me list what I have heard. I know what treble does and when phones are detailed.

Yet again, no one answered my question when I compared the tenores to the er4 and hd600. Do you consider the tenores or the hd series more neutral and accurate? How about the er4s? Do you consider either of those neutral in general? If you do then you consider my set of tenores neutral. If yours don't sound the same in comparison, that doesn't make mine any less similar to those sets.

I just ask that we focus on details, explanations, reasoning, and not resort to insults. If I'm labeled rude because I want to figure things out, find out what is causing the differences, explain things to the best of my ability so people can get the best impressions and the most from their phones... than fine, call me rude. I'll happily be the rudest dude around! :p

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #2,313 of 6,090
Ok, now I see why ER4 thread is so long.  I'm done here.  Cya.  
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #2,315 of 6,090
  I agree there, but I know 334 is super senstive to fit.  The stock tips were crap, and I had to look for tips as it was too expensive an investment for me to give on them.  It motivated me to become very familiar with tip material types, and insertion depth as they were very sensitive to distance even.  

Depending on all the criteria I mentioned, can give the listener perception of recessed mids or neutral.  The bass can really over take other frequencies if the fit is not right.  Once the I got the fit right, it sounded very good, with textures with great amount of details to my liking.  The bass quantity was high but it was not the mid bass which covers up the details and clarity. It has good amount of subbass to provide the aire.

I hope you find the right Fitear as they are just too difficult for us USA customers to get a hold of.  They are just too difficult to get a hold of in general I guess since they make limited quantities.  Well, it's harder for us.

Yes, the FitEar TG334 is a very good sounding IEM and it sure took me by surprise. It truly grabs my attention when I tested it some time ago. I'm definitely going to check out the rest of FitEar's lineup when I'm in Tokyo end of July.

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #2,316 of 6,090

I agree there, but I know 334 is super senstive to fit.  The stock tips were crap, and I had to look for tips as it was too expensive an investment for me to give on them.  It motivated me to become very familiar with tip material types, and insertion depth as they were very sensitive to distance even.  

Depending on all the criteria I mentioned, can give the listener perception of recessed mids or neutral.  The bass can really over take other frequencies if the fit is not right.  Once the I got the fit right, it sounded very good, with textures with great amount of details to my liking.  The bass quantity was high but it was not the mid bass which covers up the details and clarity. It has good amount of subbass to provide the aire.

I hope you find the right Fitear as they are just too difficult for us USA customers to get a hold of.  They are just too difficult to get a hold of in general I guess since they make limited quantities.  Well, it's harder for us.

Yes, the FitEar TG334 is a very good sounding IEM and it sure took me by surprise. It truly grabs my attention when I tested it some time ago. I'm definitely going to check out the rest of FitEar's lineup when I'm in Tokyo end of July.

Yeah, the f111 was pretty impressive too. They have a very nice relaxing, detailed sound, tiled to the warm side of things. They also had a nice build from what I remember.

Jun 3, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #2,317 of 6,090
My tenores don't distort ever, I'm listening at maximum levels from my phone or my computer, no amp. Also never sound congested, I can clearly put my finger on every instrument even on heavy crowded passages and always is air between them. There are layers of sound between every instrument and the positioning is at very high levels. Ok, maybe not at 500$ sets levels, but for the price the tenores really deliver high SQ in every department, I don't know what you can ask more. Not to mention again the aesthetics, quality build, good isolation and confort.

Jun 3, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #2,319 of 6,090
Surprising, given all the impressions of Tenore posted here, there isn't even one review written about them yet. 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/zero-audio-ear-stereo-headphone-carbo-tenore-zh-dx200-ct

Jun 3, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #2,323 of 6,090
My set sounds noticably better than the w4r $400-500, the shure535 $400-500, the pfe232 $500-600 and the ie800 $1000. So i think when someone says they aren't "at the $XXX level, they should back that up with some specific reasoning, as not every iem at a certain price point is similar. :)

Shure535, bad treble rolloff
W4r, too much midbass and uneven treble
Pfe232, too much midbass and treble peak
Ie800, too much mid/low treble cut

Some have advantages like the awesome comfort of the pfe or the construction of the shure, etc. but sound wise i'd take the tenores over any universal i've heard at any price myself. :)

Jun 3, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #2,324 of 6,090

Yet, you seem to have no desire other than to argue. :p

If you are inferring that I said that you said that... I never said anything about you saying your tenores were bright. Show me that post.

I've read all of your impressions, and you make it sound as though a bunch of other people find them "too smooth". Maybe a few, and I'm not discounting anyone's impressions, but if YOU read a lot of the posts you'll find a lot of people saying they disagree and that the treble is full of detail, "realistic", "natural", etc. I never discounted anyone, including you, for saying yours were smooth when others thought otherwise. But yet, you discount me for saying mine are detailed and reference, when in fact a lot of posters do agree. That's pretty hypocritical.

Honestly though, I find words such as "smooth, realistic, natural" etc can vary a lot based on one preference, heck, even experience. IMO, they are all very subjective terms and while there are general descriptions of these terms, the standard each of us use can vary greatly. I actually will agree with SilverEars that the Tenore is quite smooth though because it doesn't hurt my ears using my personal test track "Dark Tranquility - Punish my Heaven". SilverEars may think the sound signature of HD800 for example, is the standard for realistic, natural and full of detail, then , the Tenore will definitely be "smooth". But if we use the Tenore as the reference, then HD800 will definitely be the opposite of smooth.

And for the specific reason, won't personal taste suffice? While the Tenore is good, I will personally take the Noble 4 over it (out of all the universal IEM I have tried and owned). Oh, I will also take the Phillips SHE 3580 over Shure 846 and IE800 too :D but the Tenore is definitely a gem alright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back