Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
May 22, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #1,831 of 6,090
These do have some driver flex, it's inevitable because it's not damped much in the nozzle and it's stiff metal housing allows air to pass through faster, it's just mild though. If you want to avoid that and a vacuum seal (which happens easily because of its small housing), poke a hold on the tips and it's done.

The magnets on these drivers is so strong it will magnetize a hair clip if it's close, can't say I've experienced that in another iem.

May 22, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #1,832 of 6,090
My Xonar DG doesn't seem to get the best out of IEMs on my PC but I don't know what else I can get that would be better (Would prefer something that can be plugged into my computer / installed inside the machine and just left alone). The soundcard powers my M-Audio Q40s nicely though, seems to be lower impedance IEMs that it doesn't sound as nice with.

May 22, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #1,833 of 6,090
These do have some driver flex, it's inevitable because it's not damped much in the nozzle and it's stiff metal housing allows air to pass through faster, it's just mild though. If you want to avoid that and a vacuum seal (which happens easily because of its small housing), poke a hold on the tips and it's done.

The magnets on these drivers is so strong it will magnetize a hair clip if it's close, can't say I've experienced that in another iem.

Is the flexing harmful over time?

On another note, the entire Jurassic Park score sounds phenomenal on these things... It can be cranked, and it sounds so powerful and beautiful.... DDDeEEeeeeeeeum!

May 22, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #1,834 of 6,090
Who wants to see something insane?

I'm into technology and computers, but this is blowing my mind. It's just insane.

Not a regular altoids tin... an altoids small... Next to the sansa zip clip you say? What ever could that be?

BAM! The best earphone ever in your pocket...

Want a mint?... TOO BAD! *slaps person with the tenores*

Compared to the normal altoids tin...

I find it very easy to wrap them around three fingers and place them in the small altoids tin. It takes a second or two more to align the earpieces to make sure there is no stress or anything on them (I'm critical about that), but it's still easy. And how freaking small is that? A zip clip and the tenores in the space it takes to hold one sansa fuze. That's smaller than the entire ipod classic. And since the wire wraps snug, but nicely, they don't rattle at all. :)

I'm diggin' it... Some of the best audio I've ever heard in such a small affordable package. $100 for both. Man, that's crazy talk. And now the dropped the price on the 128gb microSD card to $120. Wow. There's no better value out there!

May 22, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #1,835 of 6,090
They benefit greatly from burn in. The sound is opening, the bass get tighter and with better texture, the mids comes a bit more forward and the treble starts to sparkle really nice. The soundstage is getting bigger and the harmonics also become more cohesive. I started to sense nice things well after 100 hours, more like 150 I think. They really sing now.
I did the mod for m6's double flange using a bore from an hybrid and now they sound better. I think they were not tight on the nozzle before and that affected the sound, now they sound really good. I'm still debating between double flanges and the hybrids tho. Anyone who has those or sony hybrids and spiral dots can comment which one sounds best? I might order another pair of tenores before they vanish and maybe I'll throw a set of those tips aswell. 

May 22, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #1,836 of 6,090
  They benefit greatly from burn in. The sound is opening, the bass get tighter and with better texture, the mids comes a bit more forward and the treble starts to sparkle really nice. The soundstage is getting bigger and the harmonics also become more cohesive. I started to sense nice things well after 100 hours, more like 150 I think. They really sing now.
I did the mod for m6's double flange using a bore from an hybrid and now they sound better. I think they were not tight on the nozzle before and that affected the sound, now they sound really good. I'm still debating between double flanges and the hybrids tho. Anyone who has those or sony hybrids and spiral dots can comment which one sounds best? I might order another pair of tenores before they vanish and maybe I'll throw a set of those tips aswell. 

I think I noticed the change most around 30 hours. I used to think it was all in people's heads, but rin has measured noticeable changes in some situations. I don't think the differences are large. They are very very small, but noticeable. It's like the sound is a bit easer to listen to, making the depth of the soundstage appear a bit larger or smoother. That's the main difference I hear. I hope my other three pairs sound o.k. :p

May 22, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #1,837 of 6,090
I just returned my pair. The sound is emmaculate, but the build quality is problematic. I detest driver flex. It's what put me off to the "also great" jvc fxt90. I wish I could combine the cable of the fxt90, the housing of the re400, and the sound of the tenores all in one for under $100. Will wait on the rockets to see if it fulfills my head-fi needs. They seem to check all the marks as far as build quality and cable. I await to see if they sound better than the tenores or any of the other great sounding neutral iems, especially on the low end of the sound spectrum.

May 22, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #1,838 of 6,090
I just returned my pair. The sound is emmaculate, but the build quality is problematic. I detest driver flex. It's what put me off to the "also great" jvc fxt90. I wish I could combine the cable of the fxt90, the housing of the re400, and the sound of the tenores all in one for under $100. Will wait on the rockets to see if it fulfills my head-fi needs. They seem to check all the marks as far as build quality and cable. I await to see if they sound better than the tenores or any of the other great sounding neutral iems, especially on the low end of the sound spectrum.

You returned them because of driver flex? Did they break or something? You shouldn't hear the flex unless you're moving the ear tips, right? Hmmmmm. Otherwise, they seem built well to me, albeit a bit small... The re400 has build quality issues though. Ugh. :p

May 22, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #1,839 of 6,090

You returned them because of driver flex? Did they break or something? You shouldn't hear the flex unless you're moving the ear tips, right? Hmmmmm. Otherwise, they seem built well to me, albeit a bit small... The re400 has build quality issues though. Ugh. :p

I guess some people are more sensitive to it. Half of my IEM's and even one of my headphones exhibit driver flex to some degree or another, but it doesn't bother me (if I even notice it).

May 22, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #1,842 of 6,090

The re400 housing was solid. The cable is where it's issues are.

As far as driver flex being silly, it's an issue for me because I worry about quality control down the road. I also poked a hole on my earpiece like suggested (maybe I'm not doing it right) and I still get rather odd sounds if I push or fiddle around with the fit.

May 22, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #1,843 of 6,090

The re400 housing was solid. The cable is where it's issues are.

As far as driver flex being silly, it's an issue for me because I worry about quality control down the road. I also poked a hole on my earpiece like suggested (maybe I'm not doing it right) and I still get rather odd sounds if I push or fiddle around with the fit.

Cable and drivers.

If you are worried about durability I can understand that. I just thought you meant you didn't like the way it sounded. But you shouldn't hear it when you're done fiddling with the ear tips, right? As long as mine don't fail, I'm a happy man. :) How can you not keep them for the sound? :wink: haha. It's worth the risk!

May 22, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #1,844 of 6,090
I think we need to define "seal". What you normally want to strive for is no vacuum, in the sense that there is no "sucking" sensation pulling the earphones inward or the eardrum outward. Essentially, you want a tight seal in that no air can escape. So in that regard it is like a vacuum, sort of like space. I think what most people refer to as a vacuum is actually a seal that causes negative pressure to pull on things. This is usually bad. I always get the best possible sound when I have any earphone air tight, but with no negative or positive pressure at all, simply a neutral vacuum. Still, pressure-less air trapped in the canal.

Thanks for this.  It seems I've been doing it all wrong.. I never thought the negative or positive pressure mattered so long as it was securely in the canal.  But now playing around with the tips (it appears the largest light blue hybrids work the best), I am hearing the mids much more forward, very very near KC06 quality.  The highs are nearly on the harsh side.. completely different from my previous experience!

I'll have to do more testing between KC06 and Tenore now that I am hearing it the way it's supposed to be heard.  

May 22, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #1,845 of 6,090

I think we need to define "seal". What you normally want to strive for is no vacuum, in the sense that there is no "sucking" sensation pulling the earphones inward or the eardrum outward. Essentially, you want a tight seal in that no air can escape. So in that regard it is like a vacuum, sort of like space. I think what most people refer to as a vacuum is actually a seal that causes negative pressure to pull on things. This is usually bad. I always get the best possible sound when I have any earphone air tight, but with no negative or positive pressure at all, simply a neutral vacuum. Still, pressure-less air trapped in the canal.

Thanks for this.  It seems I've been doing it all wrong.. I never thought the negative or positive pressure mattered so long as it was securely in the canal.  But now playing around with the tips (it appears the largest light blue hybrids work the best), I am hearing the mids much more forward, very very near KC06 quality.  The highs are nearly on the harsh side.. completely different from my previous experience!

I'll have to do more testing between KC06 and Tenore now that I am hearing it the way it's supposed to be heard.  

Yeah, it's weird how much difference it can make. If you get a good non-pressurized fit with these and listen for a long time, it's amazing. It becomes the most incredibly flat response... so gooood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back