Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Jun 25, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #3,121 of 6,090

How is it compaired to your Xiaomi Pistons and VSD1? I've heard both and the highs are defensibly different.

I'll give it a try with Pistons.. I sold my VSD1.

Jun 25, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #3,122 of 6,090
I think we mean the same thing: damper = filter. Used for adding acoustic resistance, unlike a mesh / grill which is usually just for protection.

Ah yes we do. Mesh/grill/screen were the words I needed. Filter = damper. Thanks.

Jun 25, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #3,123 of 6,090

Here is a very very quick drawing I made to illustrate how I hear them. These are generalized graphs, they aren't meant to represent any specific frequencies, but just how I hear the overall differences in regions. The differences are pretty small considering most earphones sound drastically worse :wink: hehe And the graphs don't represent scale or anything either. Just  a general idea.

Also, the kc06 is a lot louder at the same volume than the tenore...

Haha!  Awesome drawing!  Yea I'm at full volume on my phone and tablet whilst using Tenore.  70% for KC06.  For the Clip Zip I had to switch on that loudness mode to get it loud enough for the Tenore.  I heard that Havi's are even worse!

Jun 25, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #3,124 of 6,090
O.k. Here we go. Since I probably have one of the largest pools of tenores, I felt obligated to compare the physical properties closely. The detailed photos are all in order as shown in the photo of all tenores in one shot. The order is essentialy 1) gnarlsagan's reference pair 2) gnarlsagan's bass light pair 3-6) my reference pairs.

I made a jig to hold the connectors gently. All within a fraction of an inch alignment.

Stretched them across the table.

The y-splits aren't very consistent.

And not a single tenore is the same length.

I pulled the ends gently to make the wires taut, and there is almost no difference, so whether it looks like the cables are loose or not the length comparisons are very accurate.

Here things get interesting. These are the tenores in the same order as indicated before with closeups of the stress relief into the housing. I've brightened the shadows to enhance visibility of the gaps.

Look at that GAP! That's my main set. I'm thinking that has worn as I've used them, rolled them up, used them again, etc. See notes below...

My second most used pair (not nearly as used).

Here are the filters closeup, again in the same order. The details are difficult to capture equally with such a macro focus and lighting.

This one wasn't as focused as the camera seemed to indicate. Oops.

So what does all this mean? I have no clue. I would say they're quality control is crap personally.

I'm trying to compare the main set with wider stress relief gap, and it does seem possibly a hair bassier. I also found that the first pair I decided to compare of my sets actually has a bit less bass. I'm talking very small differences, but I can tell they aren't a trick of the mind. My main set appears to be every so slightly warmer than the others. I'm not sure if this has changed over time, or if my initial comparisons weren't thorough enough with song selections (I doubt it).

This is making me like the kc06 more every second even if they aren't perfect. I hope their control is consistent. At a minimum, the seal on those is always un-sealed in essence, so I don't predict much bass fluctuation on those. But who knows. What does everyone else think?

I'll do more comparisons to make sure I'm not losing my mind.

EDIT:
I've marked all of my tenores based on the level of bass. I actually find with one song I believe all four of my tenores are ever so slightly different bass. Possibly 1db variance or something, but I can hear a difference and I want to know what it is. As I've used them different amounts I'm going to start using another set exclusively and see if the bass gets louder over time when I compare them again later.

Jun 25, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #3,125 of 6,090
Bloody marvellous job luisdent ! :beerchug:

Did you not also try to get in touch with Zero Audio about this build problem ?

Looks like it maybe worth glueing up new phones right away at the strain reliefs as they don't seem to be very durable.

Jun 25, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #3,126 of 6,090
Bloody marvellous job luisdent !
beerchug.gif

Did you not also try to get in touch with Zero Audio about this build problem ?

Looks like it maybe worth glueing up new phones right away at the strain reliefs as they don't seem to be very durable.

That does have me worried. At first they were tight and seemed durable enough. With them being as loose as they are now, what is keeping the wires from getting pulled off the driver over time?

I am still discussing things with zero audio. Nothing major so far, and they asked me not to post our conversation online. I've asked if they care if I just list a general list of the things we've discussed. I'll probably list it anyway. :p I don't need to quote anybody to explain what we've discussed. But so far nothing very eventful.

And I need to add one more comment...

There is no way in hell Etymotic would have this sort of issue. They match drivers, inspect quality, talk to their customers, fix parts for reasonable prices. If only they'd make an er4x. I'd pay $300 to have something where I don't have to deal with these mysteries and possible issues.

Jun 25, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #3,127 of 6,090
What do you expect for $50? This is so nitpicky that an individual would not notice, even if a variance in sound quality exists (which hasn't been measured), it is so slight. On a case by case basis there is nothing wrong, and no one has reported a set to fail, which is a more important quality control issue. 

Jun 25, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #3,128 of 6,090
Like the observations analysis Luis, any distinctions to the reference pairs?  Also, can  you send a reference pair to Joker?  I want to know how joker ranks it.

Also, the kc06 is a lot louder at the same volume than the tenore...

Maybe you can do headphones measurements, I got a feeling you may get a kick out of doing them.

Jun 25, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #3,129 of 6,090
  What do you expect for $50? This is so nitpicky that an individual would not notice, even if a variance in sound quality exists (which hasn't been measured), it is so slight. On a case by case basis there is nothing wrong, and no one has reported a set to fail, which is a more important quality control issue. 

It's not nitpicky, I have no problem with the variances in my reference sets, but the differences in the bass light set and the bass heavy set gnarlsagan had is very noticeable. And any small variances in my sets would simply point to the fact that they aren't consistent. I have bought many mh1 earphones, which are $20. They are all identical. I've had over 10 pairs because I recable them. And I test them all for a day or two to make sure there are no problems before doing the recable and selling them to someone. So if a $20 pair can be consistent a $50 should be.

I agree failure is more important to avoid, but that doesn't mean sound quality should be dismissed. I for one prefer to know what I'm getting. What if I had one pair, loved it and it failed, perhaps due to my neglect. I buy another expecting the same excellent audio only to find a 6db boost across the bass region? That isn't slight. There is less bass difference between some brands of earphones. :p

So let's say they are cheap and that is the reason... A) other brands have excellent quality control at this price point or cheaper and B) if you can't make a consistent product what is the point?

Granted, we still don't know the cause. So it might not even be the manufacturer's fault. Needless to say, if it were my business I would want to make sure there were no problems with my product personally. A db here or there, perhaps, more than that would be unacceptable to me.

Jun 25, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #3,130 of 6,090

I've had a pair fail, as did another member here. Also I've noted differences as much as 7dB. Not small variation we're talking about. 1-2dB would be acceptable imo, but that's not at all the case. Seems there are many bassy pairs out there.

Jun 25, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #3,131 of 6,090

It's not nitpicky, I have no problem with the variances in my reference sets, but the differences in the bass light set and the bass heavy set gnarlsagan had is very noticeable. And any small variances in my sets would simply point to the fact that they aren't consistent. I have bought many mh1 earphones, which are $20. They are all identical. I've had over 10 pairs because I recable them. And I test them all for a day or two to make sure there are no problems before doing the recable and selling them to someone. So if a $20 pair can be consistent a $50 should be.

Hey, but remember that we are talking of Zero Audio, a small company, versus Sony that´s a giant on the industry, that can make cheap things with decent QC.
I´m not trying to justify Zero Audio, but, you just can´t compare it with Sony.

Jun 25, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #3,132 of 6,090
Generally Japan is known for their quality control whether the goods are cheap or expensive. To see this kind of quality control from Zero Audio goes to show that not only is the company small but they simply do not take interest in their QC or rather their QC simply passed the IEMs as long as there's sound coming out of it and not checking the sound quality at all. That's really quite shocking that Zero Audio is a Japanese company and mind you Japanese companies take pride in the product that they produce.

Jun 25, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #3,134 of 6,090
Generally Japan is known for their quality control whether the goods are cheap or expensive. To see this kind of quality control from Zero Audio goes to show that not only is the company small but they simply do not take interest in their QC or rather their QC simply passed the IEMs as long as there's sound coming out of it and not checking the sound quality at all. That's really quite shocking that Zero Audio is a Japanese company and mind you Japanese companies take pride in the product that they produce.

made in china on the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back