Zen Vision:M The clock, the playback and the alphabetical order
Jun 4, 2006 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Lisa

Headphoneus Supremus
A few days ago I got myself this baby. My first HDD player and I'm so happy with my new toy I can't stop playing with it.

I've got the latest US firmware on it so I haven't got to deal with some of the initial bugs I read about but there are a few things though that I hope you guys can help me with.

First of all the clock.
When I set it at the right time it doesn't stay there. When the player has been off for a longer period like overnight the clock is back at the wrong time. Always exactly 12 hours and a bit over a year ago. I've stopped adjusting it after three times. I read on some other forums that others suffer from the same thing after the lastest firmware upgrade. Anyone here found out a solution yet?

Second is how it plays the files.
I'm used to an iriver flash player and when you put on a bunch of folders and start playing the first file in the first folder it will continue playing till the last file in the last folder. The ZV:M doesn't do it that way. If you select one album it plays that album and stops playing. And doesn't start playing the next album in line. Or am I overlooking something? Is there any other solution for letting it play continuesly than making a playlist or queing up some albums on forehand?
I would really appreciate input one this matter. The other two are only small annoyances, but if i overlooked some option here I'd like to know.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thirdly there is the alphabetical order the albums and artist are in in the menu.
On my ZV:M they aren't completely. The artist list starts with Bettye LaVette and then starts alphabetical. I've got two of her albums on it and the second one is neatly tucked in with the other Bs but the first one is on the top above the As. I've checked the tags and they are all correct. Deleted both albums and put them back and it's still the same.

An help will be much appreciated,
Lisa

Jun 4, 2006 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 18
Hi Lisa,

Couple of thoughts. First, if by the 'latest US firmware' you mean 1.40.02 there is a widely-reported bug affecting the clock with this release. Creative has pulled it from their website and I'm sure a fixed version will be up soon. That's going be to the only solution unless you want to roll back to 1.30.02.

Regarding playing tracks, Creative players have a 'Now Playing' list to which you add whatever tracks you wish to listen to. The thing to note is that there are two ways to add tracks to the play queue, by adding tracks to the Now Playing queue or by replacing all the tracks on the Now Playing queue with your selection. If you get this confused you may not end up with what you expect on the play queue.

Regarding your last problem... I dunno. Everything should end up in alphabetical order.

Jun 4, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic
Hi Lisa,

Couple of thoughts. First, if by the 'latest US firmware' you mean 1.40.02 there is a widely-reported bug affecting the clock with this release. Creative has pulled it from their website and I'm sure a fixed version will be up soon. That's going be to the only solution unless you want to roll back to 1.30.02.

That's good to know that there will be an update soon. I'll just wait for it.

Quote:

Regarding playing tracks, Creative players have a 'Now Playing' list to which you add whatever tracks you wish to listen to. The thing to note is that there are two ways to add tracks to the play queue, by adding tracks to the Now Playing queue or by replacing all the tracks on the Now Playing queue with your selection. If you get this confused you may not end up with what you expect on the play queue.

Regarding your last problem... I dunno. Everything should end up in alphabetical order.

I'll have to look into that queing and not replacing thing. Mine doesn't seem to have a replacing option. But I put my player on Dutch menu. It only says (translated) 'Ad to selection'.

Jun 4, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

I'll have to look into that queing and not replacing thing. Mine doesn't seem to have a replacing option. But I put my player on Dutch menu. It only says (translated) 'Ad to selection'.

There is no specific replace option, rather whatever tracks you select will automatically replace the current play queue unless you select 'Add To Selection' from the menu. Also note that you do not actually play an album or playlist by using the touchpad, instead you use the touchpad to locate and highlight the album or playlist and then press the 'Play/Pause' (upper right) button to actually select it. Sorry if you know all of this already but I want to be sure...

Jun 4, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic
There is no specific replace option, rather whatever tracks you select will automatically replace the current play queue unless you select 'Add To Selection' from the menu. Also note that you do not actually play an album or playlist by using the touchpad, instead you use the touchpad to locate and highlight the album or playlist and then press the 'Play/Pause' (upper right) button to actually select it. Sorry if you know all of this already but I want to be sure...

I get it. If you play another song during the selection you made previously, you'll lose that selection. I've had that happen to me but it's nice to get it explained properly by someone who had to figure this out by experiance.
wink.gif

Seems that the only way to prefent this is by making the selection a proper playlist by giving it a name.

I have just figured out the alphabetical order thing. There is a space before the name Bettye LaVette in the id3tags.

Jun 6, 2006 at 12:18 PM Post #6 of 18
Lisa,

Congrats on your purchase.

I've found that if you map the Shortcut button to 'Add to Selected' it makes creating playlists very easy. Basically you just select the Album/Artist/Song you want to add and hit the button.

Also, make sure all your MP3s have the ID3 tag for track number so the ZVM can play them in the right order
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 12:42 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpian007
Lisa,

Congrats on your purchase.

I've found that if you map the Shortcut button to 'Add to Selected' it makes creating playlists very easy. Basically you just select the Album/Artist/Song you want to add and hit the button.

Also, make sure all your MP3s have the ID3 tag for track number so the ZVM can play them in the right order
smily_headphones1.gif

Putting the shortcut button on 'ad to selected' is a VERY good idea. Thanks for that!
smily_headphones1.gif

I always thought I had my id3tags pretty good organised, having ripped most of my music myself. But nevertheless I spend a lot of time perfecting them. I've given them all the correct genre so it's much easier to find songs.

Jun 6, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #8 of 18
Just put my BSE on it. The screen looks nice enough. I think in 48 hours there might not be any blobs left. There's just one now on the side of the screen. But the button part has more blobs, harder to put on and the lighting in the bathroom isn't too good so I spotted it a bit too late, but I'm sure it'll look better in 48 hours too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ordered this case for it.
467-1.jpg
I like the Kickstand.
(http://www.i-nique.co.uk/showdetails.asp?id=467)
So it should be very well protected soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 7, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #9 of 18
Nice case. I have a BSE on mine and applying mine was so much easier than I expected. I was using it less than 30 mins after aplpying it because all the bubbles, etc were gone and it appeared to be dry.

Jun 7, 2006 at 8:13 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpian007
Nice case. I have a BSE on mine and applying mine was so much easier than I expected. I was using it less than 30 mins after aplpying it because all the bubbles, etc were gone and it appeared to be dry.

You had more luck that I had. Mine looks not so nice. One big bubble on the screen now and I'm gonna wait a little longer but i think I might have to order me another BSE and try again in better lighting than the bathroom.
Any tips on how to do it?

I'm not sure about the windex method. I once cleaned a cellphone cover that was glossy with agressive cleaning stuff and it ended up clean but no longer glossy. I wonder what those players looks like when you remove the BSE/IS.

Jun 7, 2006 at 11:18 AM Post #12 of 18
Yes Yes Yes! I've managed to push the big bubble to the side and get some of the water out from underneath it. Now if only the tiny bubles I've created in the proces will evaporate some more I might not have to do it over!
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2006 at 12:36 PM Post #13 of 18
I got the silicon cover today. That was fast delivery! I ordered it two days ago from the UK. Expected it to take 7-10 days.
Anyway, it doesn't look as nice as on the picture but it's nice enough. The hole on the bottom isn't big enough to fit the sync adapter. It makes a connection but I don't know if the adapter is pressed in tight enough. You don't want to to disconnect during file transfers etc. But you can easily cut it a big bigger with siccors. Really easy to do. You don't have to cut the bottom bit of the hole. The conection to the sync adapter is sticking out a bit there so the silicon case fits in between the player and the sync adapter. (with bottom I mean when you lay the player down flat on its back.) I only cut the hole a bit bigger on the sides and the top. I think you can even get away with leaving the top intact. But then you need to push it up a little when you connect the adapter.

If anyone is wondering how the BSE turned out. Well, pretty good actually!
smily_headphones1.gif
Might be nice to know for other clumpsy people like me. Even if you don't get it perfect, if you give it a decent try there's a big change it will look OK in the end. I've only got a few inconsitencies left but they are very minor.

Jun 9, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #15 of 18
Thanks.
I checked the creative site for an update earlier this morning (It's late afternoon here now.) so I already have it on my ZVM. But thanks anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif
Guess I know for sure tomorrow if it worked. My clock went wrong only if the player was turned of overnight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back