Zen Vision M. LAME VBR mp3s always starting 2-3 seconds into the track ???
Feb 25, 2006 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Veggie_Musician

500+ Head-Fier
I have a strange problem with my Zen Vision M. With lame VBR encoded files using EAC - The music always seems to start 2-3 seconds into a track - if u press back then it will start at begining. It will do this even while playing an album without touching the player!

Also Ive noticed two different firmwares 1.11.01 and 1.11.01e! I got the latter! I wanted to try the other one but it wont let me

Feb 25, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 6
That's weird. I use LAME VBR files almost exclusively in my ZVM and haven't had any such issue.

Don't worry about the 1.11.01e firmware release... that's for Europe and the only difference is that it limits the maximum volume level. You don't want it.

Feb 26, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic
That's weird. I use LAME VBR files almost exclusively in my ZVM and haven't had any such issue.

Don't worry about the 1.11.01e firmware release... that's for Europe and the only difference is that it limits the maximum volume level. You don't want it.

That at once made me update to non e version!

I would say theres 1/3 more volume there now! Sure Im not playing it anylouder, but its nice to have it for quiet recordings!

Feb 26, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veggie_Musician
I would say theres 1/3 more volume there now! Sure Im not playing it anylouder, but its nice to have it for quiet recordings!

Yes, you're not playing it any louder and only using the reserve for quieter recordings (or less sensitive phones, or whatever) because you have a brain, as do most purchasers of such equipment. But apparently one or more governments in Europe decided that they needed to substitute their judgment for yours, resulting in a really stupid and ridiculous law restricting player output level.

Anyway, glad you de-crippled your player. I hope you figure out your other problem... like I said it's kind of strange... do the tracks play OK on your PC or other players?

Feb 26, 2006 at 11:40 AM Post #5 of 6
Yes they play fine on all the other mp3 players Ive owned - I think its just some types of VBR that are affected - LAME at 320bps seems ok.

Im going to post a full review soon of the ZVM

Feb 27, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #6 of 6
Hmmm, I've had a similar issue with my Karma- I use Lame VBR mp3's almost exclusively, and songs usually start 1-2 seconds into playback for unknown reasons. This applies to having crossfading both on and off, although by having it on the effect is lessened somewhat (because the part I wouldn't hear anyway is faded in as the tail end of the last song is faded out). It isn't a major deal for me at this point though.

580smile.gif
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back