Zen Micro or Muvo Slim?
Feb 17, 2005 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Waspinators

New Head-Fier
Hi, i'm new here, I've been looking and trying to decide between buying the Muvo Slim or Zen Micro, the Zen Micro's features and space are spectacular, as is the touchpad, but the Slim is just so thin and small! Plus, I'm a little worried by the various complaints about the Micro's headphone jack, software, and thickness.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Feb 17, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 16
Well first off it depends on how much music you have, and if you want to carry that music with you at all times. The MuVo Slim is a flash-based player, meaning it has no moving parts and is more durable than a hard-drive based player (Zen Micro), but the MuVo of course comes in much smaller memory sizes.

I have a Zen Micro and it is perfect for me. 5 GB is plenty to hold my music collection plus more, and it's very small, don't let its "thickness" get you, as for it's really not thick at all. The Micro and MuVo slim have pretty much the same features (FM radio, Mic)...so really the deciding factor is the amount of space you need for music.

Oh, and don't get worried over the "headphone jack." I personally know 5 people, including myself, who own Micros. I've tested all of our jacks and haven't experienced any problems at all. The "headphone jack problem" is just an exaggeration. I'm sure it has happened to some though, just definately not as many as you think.

Feb 17, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #3 of 16
ya, we (I) conducted a poll of people here on head-fi that had the problem and i think 1 person said that they had the problem. he got it from compuplus.com which has a bad rep. anyways so i still dont think that people need to worry about this headphone jack prolem yet.

Feb 17, 2005 at 5:33 AM Post #4 of 16
Cyclone - I think you need to get your head out of the Creative cloud that you have created for yourself. In the last month you seem to especially love to exagerrate and fling mud at certain players then conveniently gloss over any problems that Creative has as if it were purely exaggeration brought about by the evil empire. Are you on a quest to convert everyone to Creative?

You say that in your own poll only one person had the problem with the headphone jack. Yet the facts are at the time of this writting, your own poll says a much different thing.

Out of 39 people who had been polled, 6 people had or knew a friend who had the headphone jack problem. That's 17% of people polled had the problem and that's out of a very small sampling of people.

Creative makes nice players, but they also have their issues too, Just like Apple, iRiver, and Rio. Glossing over things when it suits team Creative, Rio, Apple, iRiver does nothing in the end to help anybody on these forums so why do it other than to be a fanboy/flamer.

Feb 17, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #5 of 16
oh sorry man i didnt check. but at the time i checked last it was like 13 votes no prob 1 vote for a problem.
rolleyes.gif
im not a fanboy, sometimes people throw terms like fanboy and flamer around far too much on these forums, i like my player but im certainly not a creative fanboy (this is my only creative player out of about 6 DAP's). if you really know how i am you should know that i also highly recommend other players like the karma, carbon (hell i almost bought both of those), and i hear good things from the H10. everyone is going to recomend the player that they own, its just life get over it and try not to throw words like fanboy around this is a great little forum that is so far pretty clean of annoying people that spam, swear, etc. sorry i didnt check but i didnt mean to make is seem like there is no problem. it looks now like there might be one now.
frown.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 6:49 AM Post #6 of 16
its okay for people to say there is no problem with theirs, such as a headphone jack problem, especially if they have never experience it. but once they experience the problem, oh yeah, i can see it coming from a mile a way.

there is a headphone jack problem, just check out topics in other forums that ask how many people experience that particular issue. the results vary significantly than the one in this forum. what i am saying is, the results are higher when you go to other forums such as nomadness.net or creative.com

the headphone jack problem is something you should worry about. it might happen to you, or it may not. it is not wise to say, "dont worry about it". it is never wise to give false reassurances, or false hopes.

yes, micro is a fatass. but the fatness is compacted into very small space. it is thick, but the size is smaller than you think. thats the only reason why i might buy micro again, because of how small it is, despite its thickness.

if u want slim factor with 5 gb space, voice recorder, touchpad, replaceable battery: the h10 is the way to go. but the micro is also a decent player, if you get the perfect one that is. hell, i might get an iriver h10.

Feb 17, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #7 of 16
Only bad thing about the Slim is that you have to charge it through usb.
Slim + regular charger is pretty much the same price as a Micro.
It's too bad about this charging history, I would've gotten a Slim otherwise.

Feb 18, 2005 at 1:41 AM Post #9 of 16
How about the freezing? Does it really freeze or crash as often as people say it does, and does uploading one song really take extremely long? Also, does the screen or touch pad scratch really easily? Sorry about all the questions but I just need to know what I'm getting for $230.

Feb 18, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Waspinators
How about the freezing? Does it really freeze or crash as often as people say it does, and does uploading one song really take extremely long? Also, does the screen or touch pad scratch really easily? Sorry about all the questions but I just need to know what I'm getting for $230.

freezing is minimal and only happens when unplugging from the computer on occasion. one song takes about 1-2 seconds. the screen and touch pad scatch like all plasic but if you get a light color (silver, white, lime green, etc) you cant see it. black on the other hand is not invisible to scratches. the plasic does scratch fairly easily so i would suggest getting a light color.

Feb 18, 2005 at 4:46 AM Post #11 of 16
I have never had my Micro Freeze, or had a headphone jack problem. And i keep it in a Altoids case that I had when i first got it so there isnt many scratches on it. The only thing i would comment on is the battery, Its probably cause all of my songs are like 256 but it seems lower than i expected.

Feb 18, 2005 at 5:19 AM Post #12 of 16
having smart volume on KILLS your battery life time. 1:30 hours to be exact
rolleyes.gif

Feb 18, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #13 of 16
The battery is crap on the micro. I charge it up, listen to it for about an hour, turn it off with the battery meter still full, then when I turn it back on the next day a bar is gone. Very lame and I use my Muvo TX FM more then my micro now.

Feb 18, 2005 at 1:13 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Underdog311
The battery is crap on the micro. I charge it up, listen to it for about an hour, turn it off with the battery meter still full, then when I turn it back on the next day a bar is gone. Very lame and I use my Muvo TX FM more then my micro now.

i wish i knew what you're talking about. luckily i don't
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #15 of 16
Yeah oh well, can't win em all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back