Zen Micro Harddrive Whine
Jun 25, 2005 at 3:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

schwartz

New Head-Fier
I picked up a zen micro last week, and I'm definatley overall pleased with the product; creative puts together a nice little machine.

My only qualm with it is this high pitched 'whine' sort of noise, that I can hear pretty well when I am switching to a new song or loading a playlist, and most other operations where I am guessing the harddrive inside is spun. I could be wrong about this being a hard drive issue, but I should point out that it only happens for about 7-8 secs into any given song.

I found that I can hear this most clear on the stock headphones, and barely if at all, on my sony dj set
smily_headphones1.gif
. If anyone could let me know whether or not this is something that is present in all zen micros it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jun 25, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by schwartz
I picked up a zen micro last week, and I'm definatley overall pleased with the product; creative puts together a nice little machine.

My only qualm with it is this high pitched 'whine' sort of noise, that I can hear pretty well when I am switching to a new song or loading a playlist, and most other operations where I am guessing the harddrive inside is spun. I could be wrong about this being a hard drive issue, but I should point out that it only happens for about 7-8 secs into any given song.

I found that I can hear this most clear on the stock headphones, and barely if at all, on my sony dj set
smily_headphones1.gif
. If anyone could let me know whether or not this is something that is present in all zen micros it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

So you can hear the whine through the headphones? or just the player itself has a whine?

Jun 25, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #4 of 8
I experience the whine when using my stock buds as well. It's only when the hard drive is being accessed, and not very noticeable.

I don't hear it at all with any of my other headphones.

Jun 25, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 8
Hi,

I had a 6GB Micro for about two weeks and I heard the noise as well. I heard it with the stock buds, shure E3cs and grado sr-80s, and it drove me crazy. I returned one model and got another one with the same noise so its not just your player. I don't think that the noise illustrates any problem with your player so if you can stand it you should be fine. Hope this helps,

Derrick

Jun 26, 2005 at 8:50 AM Post #6 of 8
My first Zen Micro didn't have this problem, but when it got replaced because of the headphone jack issue, the replacement had the problem you mention. I found it extremely annoying at first because my Shure E2Cs would pick it up but after a while I think it went away or it stopped bugging me. I'm glad its not audible during songs though
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #8 of 8
I have a similar player, the Rio Carbon. The microdrive is definitely audible in the quiet, but only through the case itself. I don't have a problem, and never had a problem with it being heard through the earphones itself. I think its pretty cool, to hear the spinning of the drive. Especially after i drop it like 2 inches onto a desk and freak out... the whine re-assures me that my baby is just fine.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back