Zana Deux vs Singlepower Extreme
May 30, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by BranM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab,

What type of music do you tend to listen to through your SP Extreme?

LOTS of different kinds - rock and jazz both of very wide variety.

May 30, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #17 of 36
The OP should listen to both and pick his preference.

I have not heard both side by side, but I have heard both. They both have strengths. The zana is a little flatter and "harder" in its sound, where the extreme has a little more "tube bloom" for lack of a better word. Between the 2, the comparason is REALLLLY a mater of sonic preferences, I dont think most people would be upset with either in their headphone shacks. I like the tube-rolling options for the extreme, and dislike the over-hard sound of the zana, so there is my vote if its worth anything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No SP fanboys yet?....
confused.gif

They are getting as slow as the tubes...
wink.gif

What are the implications of a MOT posting in a thread about 2 competing products he has no dealings with? Mikhail: look at all 60 of his posts, about his own gear. ray samuels: not in AGES. Justin: I have not seen anything in years. Hearing how different all 3 of their designs are it is reasonable to assume that they have opinions on why they dont do things like their neighbors, but they stay professional and keep to their own buisness.

You rarely miss an opportunity to make a comment against singlepower, but generally throw a ****-fit whenever someone says the first word against rudistor.

May 30, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What are the implications of a MOT posting in a thread about 2 competing products he has no dealings with? Mikhail: look at all 60 of his posts, about his own gear. ray samuels: not in AGES. Justin: I have not seen anything in years. Hearing how different all 3 of their designs are it is reasonable to assume that they have opinions on why they dont do things like their neighbors, but they stay professional and keep to their own buisness.

You rarely miss an opportunity to make a comment against singlepower, but generally throw a ****-fit whenever someone says the first word against rudistor.

I concur - a kudos as well to tom hankin;s comment above. I think Nikongod's comments are a good summation of the overall sound, but honestly they are closer to each other than farther apart. I have always enjoyed the extreme on every listen but I personally go for the more open deeper soundstage of the ZD which I am sure the extreme can be tuberolled to somewhat match as well.

May 30, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No SP fanboys yet?....
confused.gif

They are getting as slow as the tubes...
wink.gif

Alberto this is in really poor taste as a MOT you should know better , how would you react if Ray, Mikhail, Craig or Justin thread crapped in a topic for Rudistor amps that you represent. Poor refection on the name that Rudi has worked hard to build.

to the OP when I had to choose I picked the Eddie Current line (HD2) and if it was the Zana or the Extreme I'd go Zana but we all hear different and you may like a differenet sound than I do. If you go extreme ask Mikhail to build you one like he doid for Boomana it has 2 power cords and multiple upgrades from the standards platinum version.

May 30, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We are just not as fast as trolls and thread-crappers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BranM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well said. I could not have put it better myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You are loosing the sense of humor, no doubt of that!!!!

BTW for the public record I have nothing against Mikhail or any other manufacturer. It was a joke. OK, maybe was a bad joke, or in a bad place, but even while I have never dealt with him, Mikhail seems to be a really nice guy, and we always talk in a very respectful way while we meet each other in the few occassions we have meet...
wink.gif

I think that the does not need any advocate, Ari, OK? As you want to play advocate, why don't you take a look at those two or three threads about Ruid products, that have been derailed by others, and you will find that there are two or three of the SP followers that never miss an opportunity neither to get into them wiht their absurd posts, and questions...
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alberto this is in really poor taste as a MOT you should know better , how would you react if Ray, Mikhail, Craig or Justin thread crapped in a topic for Rudistor amps that you represent. Poor refection on the name that Rudi has worked hard to build.

Sorry, and my appologies to Mikhail, it was not my intention to create this kind of discomfort, it was a really bad joke....Simply ignore my post, I will remove it as well...
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif

I'm unsubscribed from this thread, if anybody has anything extra to tell me, please leave the thread alone, and just PM me...

May 30, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the most important things I have learned in my limited time on head-fi, is that there is a lot of different opinions, and in the end, you need to experience and find out what sounds good to you, in your own ears. What one person think sounds good, is not neccesarily the other persons flavor and so on. Also, I think it is very hard to describe sound, because there are so many subtle variables involved, also emotions play a part, and many differences in what people are looking for in their sound.

QFT

May 30, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #22 of 36
Thanks for your thoughts on this guys.

It's a hard choice between them as I have no way of listening to either in the UK. I have seen a lot of positives for both amps and like some of you have said the SP Extreme has more tube rolling options. I only wish I could hear both to be sure because as most of you guys say it all comes down to personal preference in the end.

Jun 27, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #25 of 36
Contemplating on getting Singlepower Extreme but never tried it :\

I'm more cautious buying source/amp components though, it makes a big "audible" difference from one to the other...

-->Does the black gate caps make big difference compared to normal version?

Jun 27, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #26 of 36
with regard to the SP line up don't forget the MPX3, I for one favor that amp over the extreme. To me the MPX3 is more extended and does not exhibit the compressed midrange I have heard in some (not all) extreme amps. I would also caution against over optioning the extreme as one that I am aware of took vacations back to Denver on two separate occasions for repair. Once stable though it has operated trouble free and like a champ.

An MPX3 with well placed upgrades is a great amp and overlooked here most often. It lends itself to the lusher side of life and many prefer that sound. I'd still pick the Zana overall but my second choice would be the MPX3 over the extreme.

Jun 27, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
with regard to the SP line up don't forget the MPX3, I for one favor that amp over the extreme. To me the MPX3 is more extended and does not exhibit the compressed midrange I have heard in some (not all) extreme amps. I would also caution against over optioning the extreme as one that I am aware of took vacations back to Denver on two separate occasions for repair. Once stable though it has operated trouble free and like a champ.

An MPX3 with well placed upgrades is a great amp and overlooked here most often. It lends itself to the lusher side of life and many prefer that sound. I'd still pick the Zana overall but my second choice would be the MPX3 over the extreme.

While i can't comment on "the compressed midrange" remark, i heartily support the rest of this post. The MPX-3 in its Slam + SE configuration has many more voices than the extreme. It can produce both a very refined sound and a high-impact in your face sound, plus many different degrees of each and everything else in between.

Jun 27, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #28 of 36
Keep in mind that the Zana Duex has 3 inputs and can be used as a preamp while the stock Extreme does not have those features. But I'm sure you can have those features added to the Extreme if you choose the Extreme.

I've heard the Extreme but not the Zana yet. Personally I think the Zana looks much better in appearance but I find the idea of flexible tube rolling to be more attractive with the Extreme. Either way, I'm sure the Zana is also a masterpiece as well.

chewie0ol.gif

Jun 29, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #30 of 36
If you think tube rolling is one of those options which will give me better run, hmmm, I doubt. Zana offers some options as well, not sure how many, maybe around 20. I stopt after 5-6, cos already have tubes which could fit any hi-end headphone, imo. So, whats that all about, tube rolling? Me, I think that SP offers cheaper tube use and its cheaper amp to, well some models. However Zana can be used with Sylvania, which Craig can provide, that can be purchased on Ebay where a lot of them been offered for pretty reasonable price. This Sylvania could fit your needs, so you dont have to look any further, imo. It comes to the sound preferences after all, tubes or not, and money you can spend as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back