Zana Deux vs Singlepower Extreme
May 29, 2008 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

BranM

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I am a complete novice to the wonderful world of Headfi so please go easy on me
wink.gif
. I would like to know what you guys think is the better amp more suited for use with audio-technica headphones. The ones that I own are AD2000's & W5000's. The music I listen to is mainly rock and classical so would there be much of a difference between these two amps with the headphones I own.

I am switching from a speaker setup to a headphone rig so the amp is critical to me as I do not plan to upgrade for quite a while and have not had an opportunity to listen to these amps in the UK. I have read a lot of posts on these forums and both amps look like they come highly recommended but which one?
confused.gif
Any thoughts on this guys.

Cheers,

Brandon.

May 29, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 36
I can't comment, since I haven't heard any of the gear mentioned, but anyway, WELCOME TO HEAD-FI!!
smily_headphones1.gif

May the force be with you! ...and your wallet
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #3 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't comment, since I haven't heard any of the gear mentioned, but anyway, WELCOME TO HEAD-FI!!
smily_headphones1.gif

May the force be with you! ...and your wallet
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the welcome.

I can only hope it won't be too expensive becoming a member of these forums
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 36
Too expensive? No such thing here at Head-Fi...if you joined without the intention to run into serious debt, you've come to the wrong place
tongue.gif

And on that bombshell.....welcome!
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too expensive? No such thing here at Head-Fi...if you joined without the intention to run into serious debt, you've come to the wrong place
tongue.gif

And on that bombshell.....welcome!
biggrin.gif

Oh well at least the expense should be justified
biggrin.gif

Thanks for your welcome.

May 29, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #6 of 36
The standard extreme or the Platinum? I am hopefully going to have the opportunity to listen to both (SP Plat. & ZD) in a couple weeks. This was my ? Christmas before last. I was not able to hear either so I chose the Platinum. SP gives more tuberolling options. A good friend got the ZD and absolutely loves it.

Have you considered the AT amp?

May 29, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The standard extreme or the Platinum? I am hopefully going to have the opportunity to listen to both (SP Plat. & ZD) in a couple weeks. This was my ? Christmas before last. I was not able to hear either so I chose the Platinum. SP gives more tuberolling options. A good friend got the ZD and absolutely loves it.

Have you considered the AT amp?

Hi,

I had not give it much thought on the standard vs the platinum SP extreme. Is there much of a difference in sound between the two?

Please do let me know if you do get the chance to A-B both SP Plat & ZD as I would be very interested with your impressions on this.

I have never considered the AT amp. I have read a lot of interesting discussions about amps on these forums but the one's I seem to see a lot of are both singlepower amps and the ZD. This is the main reason why I have singled out these two amps based on user impressions.

Thanks for your input.

May 29, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #8 of 36
Both of these amps are excellent, but I actually prefer the sound of my standard Extreme over the Zana Deux. When you factor in the Extreme's much greater tube rolling options, and lower cost, I think it's an easy recommendation.

May 29, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #9 of 36
My apologies to Mikhail....Sorry man...it was a really bad joke...

May 29, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both of these amps are excellent, but I actually prefer the sound of my standard Extreme over the Zana Deux. When you factor in the Extreme's much greater tube rolling options, and lower cost, I think it's an easy recommendation.

Thanks for your thoughts skylab.

Have you heard the SP platinum version of the Extreme? If so is there much of a difference between this and the standard version.

Cheers.

May 29, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #11 of 36
One of the most important things I have learned in my limited time on head-fi, is that there is a lot of different opinions, and in the end, you need to experience and find out what sounds good to you, in your own ears. What one person think sounds good, is not neccesarily the other persons flavor and so on. Also, I think it is very hard to describe sound, because there are so many subtle variables involved, also emotions play a part, and many differences in what people are looking for in their sound. Also IMO, equally important as the amp, is the rest of the gear in the chain, which have a big influence on the overall sound, making it almost impossible to know how a amp will sound in your setup before experiencing it yourself. I have read about all there is to read about the ZD, but still don't really know how it will sound to my ears, but from what I have read, I imagine it will have good synergy with the rest of my gear. One thing I am certain of though, is that it is a high quality, well built amp that will last a long time if treated gently.

So many things to concider, but I don't think you can go wrong with either of those amps. They are both high quality, and I guess you just have to go with the gut feeling wich one feels most right, if you can't get both of course
wink.gif

May 29, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No SP fanboys yet?....
confused.gif

They are getting as slow as the tubes...
wink.gif

We are just not as fast as trolls and thread-crappers.

May 29, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the most important things I have learned in my limited time on head-fi, is that there is a lot of different opinions, and in the end, you need to experience and find out what sounds good to you, in your own ears. What one person think sounds good, is not neccesarily the other persons flavor and so on. Also, I think it is very hard to describe sound, because there are so many subtle variables involved, also emotions play a part, and many differences in what people are looking for in their sound. Also IMO, equally important as the amp, is the rest of the gear in the chain, which have a big influence on the overall sound, making it almost impossible to know how a amp will sound in your setup before experiencing it yourself. I have read about all there is to read about the ZD, but still don't really know how it will sound to my ears, but from what I have read, I imagine it will have good synergy with the rest of my gear. One thing I am certain of though, is that it is a high quality, well built amp that will last a long time if treated gently.

So many things to concider, but I don't think you can go wrong with either of those amps. They are both high quality, and I guess you just have to go with the gut feeling wich one feels most right, if you can't get both of course
wink.gif

I only wish that I could afford both as it would make it a very simple choice but alas that's not gonna happen
frown.gif

Thanks once again for your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back