Zana Deux vs. Cayin HA-1A comparisons?
Aug 25, 2008 at 7:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

eppis1@sbcglobal

New Head-Fier
I own the Cayin HA-1A and wonder if anyone has any thoughts on its merits when compared to the Zana Deux: maybe there's a thread on this subject already? I presume that the ZD is a vastly superior unit, but want to hear any opinions of the pluses/minuses associated with the ZD. I use the Cayin solely for headphones, and would do the same with the ZD. I'm not an educated listener/audiophile, just a serious music (mostly classical) enthusiast. By the way, I like but don't love the Cayin.
Thanks

Aug 25, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #2 of 6
Eppis,

I own the Cayin too and think it is a fine amp - especially with my 701s.

Though I've not yet had the pleasure of hearing the Zana Deux, from all accounts here on HeadFi and other forums, it seems safe to say that the ZD is in another league. No doubt others whom have heard both will chime in soon and share their insight.

Cheers,
Garry

May 31, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #3 of 6
Hi Garry,
I never saw the reply, so I presumed no one actually would. As I was taking a look for Zana Deux threads, I ran across your message. Thanks! I'm still thinking about the Zana Deux, and may get a chance to listen to one soon. I've never disliked the Cayin, but I've never fallen in love with the sound. Oh well. If that's the biggest problem I ever have with an audio toy, I'll still be ahead of the game.
Regards,
Matthew

May 31, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #4 of 6
I'm with eppis1, I wasn't too impressed with the Cayin compared to other, more expensive amps. Too constricted and polite. The ZD carries much of the politeness but has ample reserves to drive (especially Senns) most all I've heard on it. A ZD will put a smile on your face every time you turn it on. Yes, another league and as it should for the price difference.

May 31, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 6
You're in Burbank?

Get in the car and drive to the LAX Hilton. Bring your Cayin. My Zana is in Catalina B and you're welcome to A/B them.

THen you can wander a few rooms over and talk to Craig about placing an order.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #6 of 6
I have heard both, though for limited amounts of time. I was not very impressed by the Cayin for the price. It is a fine amp, but it doesn't seem like $900 worth of amp to me. In fact it sounds very similar to many tube amps that go for only 5-600, such as the woo 6, some of the little dot series, etc.

On the other hand, the zana is incredible. It drove every can that I heard it with to a level above what I had heard before. Simply great and one of the best amps that I have heard, but you should listen to uncle erik and head down to LAX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back