Zana Deux SE ordered!!!
May 19, 2009 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

robinje

100+ Head-Fier
I just ordered a new Zana Deux SE (with nickel-plated caps). YIPPEE!
biggrin.gif

I currently have a Woo 6SE with Sophia and parts upgrade package that I have been very happy with. But... I want to try and consolidate my current preamp and headphone amp into a single unit for simplicity. I am currently running the Woo off the unbuffered tape outs on my preamp. That, of course, is okay but not ideal. With the ZD, I will be able to run my sources directly into it and use it as a preamp and headphone amp. My intention is to list the Woo for sale when I get the ZD. If the ZD works well as a preamp in my speaker system, which I think it will, then I will also sell off my existing preamp. That will greatly simplify things and eliminate extra interconnects and I'll have a more direct signal fed from my sources. Besides... I can use the funds from the Woo and my existing preamp to fund a new top notch phono stage... JLTi, Pass Xono, Whest, etc. That's the plan, anyway. I've thought about this move extensively. Hopefully, it will work out well as intended...
icon10.gif

May 19, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #4 of 25
You made a good choice! I've run my Zana as a preamp with excellent results. I think you'll be very pleased with what it does to headphones, as well.

Some good choices for a phono stage, as well. I love Nelson Pass' work and would consider the Xono if I wasn't such a tubehead. Right now, I run Yph from Don Garber's Fi. If tubes interest you, the Yph gets on well with the Zana. Also, Garber has much of the same design and build philosophy as Eddie Current. Point-to-point, handmade and a thoughtful circuit from someone with much experience. Take a look.

May 19, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by lutwey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lucky you. do you have a price in mind yet for the w6. btw a brief review/comparison wont hurt either. i hope you enjoy 'em.

I don't know what I will sell it for yet. I've got a whole bunch of tubes that will go with the amp, so I've got to figure out a price.

May 19, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jvlgato /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fantastic! I'm very interested in hearing about your experience in its use as a preamp. What is your current preamp?

My current preamp is an Audio by Van Alstine Ultra SL, which is a tube/SS hybrid unit.

May 19, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopstretch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did Craig say when the next batch will be finished?

Yes, he said delivery should start by the end of June.

May 22, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #12 of 25
Craig is designing/building a couple of phono amps presently.... transformers for mc step up. higher end model will be balanced i believe....

May 22, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #15 of 25
Congratulations! Would love to hear impressions when it arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back