Zana Deux or Singlepower Extreme or MPX3?
Oct 18, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

...The K601 sound nothing like the K701...

A few months ago vorlon1 and I got together and compared the K501 w/ K601, and the K701. All un-modded and as I recall all three sounded quite different. In a way I feel the K601 splits the difference between the K501 and the K501 but not quite excelling and IMO ending up as an "also ran". I will qualify my statement that unless you have the three side by side you would have a hard time making the call.

We also compared them w/ a Senn HD600 stock and w/ various re-cables. I am not a Senn guy so I ended up choosing the K501 as my favorite followed by the K701, both w/ an APureSound re-cable.

Oct 18, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #32 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few months ago vorlon1 and I got together and compared the K501 w/ K601, and the K701. All un-modded and as I recall all three sounded quite different. In a way I feel the K601 splits the difference between the K501 and the K501 but not quite excelling and IMO ending up as an "also ran". I will qualify my statement that unless you have the three side by side you would have a hard time making the call.

We also compared them w/ a Senn HD600 stock and w/ various re-cables. I am not a Senn guy so I ended up choosing the K501 as my favorite followed by the K701, both w/ an APureSound re-cable.

So, you feel they all could use different tubes to optimize their individual sound?

Oct 18, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #33 of 46
Good luck forcecommand on which ever of those two models you decide to get.I have owned both and can say they are just as others here have described them.You are going to have to see what headphones and source you got and decide which amp is the best for you .

Oct 19, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #34 of 46
Man, the ZD and the Platinum Extreme were in the same league. I guess it's preference based on hps. Both sound so good.

As good as the ZD sounds, I like the tube rolling options the SP offers. The ZD has a limited option of tubes. Fortunately, the tubes used are pretty good.

I am biased because I own the SP. So take it that way. They both sound excellent with high end sources.

Now if you really want to hear a sweet hp, listen to the stats. Loved the HE60s today. Every ounce of sound is squeezed out in even distribution. Full, impactful and worth it IMO.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

........I am biased because I own the SP. So take it that way. They both sound excellent with high end sources........

I'm using Apogee mini dac, is it good enough? Which amp suits it better?

Oct 19, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by forcecommand /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The mini-DAC is suitably high-end enough for any of the amps.

Oct 21, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own both an Extreme and a MPX3. For both the AKG 701 and Senn 650 I like the Extreme. The Extreme gets more bass out of the 701 and the amps open airy soundstage is a great match for the 701s. Both amps do the Senns very well. Furthermore, I have never heard any headphone I have used sound less than excellent on the Extreme .... even headphones I dont particularly care for like the Beyer dt880 sound good to me with the Extreme. The MPX3 is more picky and sometimes takes some experimentation to get the amp/ headphone combo dialed in.

As for tubes, I generally use an ECC TYPE #1 tube socket adapter with the Amperex 7062 for gain duty .... driving a pair of Tung Sol 6AS7G outut tubes. This tube combo sounds good with Senn 600s or my modded Alessandro MS1 or stock MS2i and has remained in the amp for many months.

I have used the 2C51/ 6080 combo .... 6CG7/6AS7 combo .... 6GU7/6AS7 combo and the 7N7 (6SN7 substitute) / 5998 combo all with stellar results.

IMG_0088.jpg

HPIM0144.jpg

Picture093.jpg

Good stuff, thanks, and most relevant.

Oct 27, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #38 of 46
Mikhail gave me a configuration of MPX3. It is based on MP3 SE with following parts:

MPX3 SE transformer Normally part of the SE modelDual filtered post Regulator power supply optionDual input selectable on front (can do a single input with one preamp for lower cost total)
Black Gate cathode capacitors $189
Black Gate output capacitors $450
Jensen coupling capacitors $156
JensenBlack model 2 Singlepower Gold Stepped attenuator $385 (Series model 1is $285)
Preamp outputs $119

$2249 total. Exceed my bugget a little and not a slam model. I want to add some slam feature.

Shall I exchange the gold stepped attenuator for some slam features and a black gate power capacitors upgrade?

Oct 27, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, I think you need to specify what you are comparing before you can make a blanket statement like this.

Secondly, if you dont hear good things from the Extreme like the compression you describe, I am with Skylab, you dont have the right tube match.
The Extreme doesnt have the ZDs extensive use of negative feedback (= eats up gain) so a tube with a mu of 35-50 for the Extreme vs a mu of 70 with the ZD works about perfectly in the Extreme despite the respective output tubes each having a gain/ mu of 2.

Once you have a gain tube with some voltage output the Extreme is a completely different beast and can go toe to toe with the ZD for sound quality.:

Wow just wow where do I start it's been a while since I've been in this thread to review this post.First a disclaimer I have edited (not changed) the original post and for reference please feel free to refer if you think I have been unfair.
Point one is interesting as it supposes that impressions of Single Power amps can be invalidated if the listener has not heard multiple tube combos. I have heard at least 5 of each of these amps in different configs and different tube sets. I was not keeping a meet diary so I can not tell you the tube combos but I certainly have heard multiple combos in each amp.

Having heard multiple extremes each of them share sonic traits (Boomana's amp excepted) this leads me to believe it is the amp that I am not partial to and not some mystical tube combo that I have not heard. Considering I heard the amp in Florida at it meet debut and at several meets after some with SP in attendance I fail to see how it could be tube combo. Also most owners have had the tube adapter that SP sells and it was in use at least half of the time.

You need to define "extensive use of negative feedback" the ZD uses 6db of negative feedback to increase linearity of the 6c33b. From my research 6bd is not extensive use not even close. While Zero negative feedback is often a marketing point it not always the best design choice.

Oh and the price you quote is apparently for a new version of the ZD that is transformer coupled not the current OTL design.

Lastly maybe you could hold yourself to the same rules you ask of others. It would appear you have only heard the ZD proto (based on your post) and the amp has gone through several changes. So my thoughts after having heard several Extremes and MPX3s are questionable as it relates to a ZD comparison but you having heard just the ZD proto and not the production version is valid?

There is no question that you know much about tubes and are a valuable resource in that area but you are also a Single Power partisan. Please read carefully I did not just call you a shill as you are not one, you like many people are just really into your amp manufacture of choice and that's cool. I have a preference for Moth/Eddie Current stuff and similar statements could be made about me. It is up to the reader of these post to determine where and when our preference interferes...

To the OP get out and hear these many people prefer each of these amps and you can not make a bad choice at all. It also would appear that SP is trending back on track so a new model with no customization should be a relatively short wait. Don't blame me if you order a heavily customized one and it takes a while though.

Oct 27, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #41 of 46
Quote:

Mikhail gave me a configuration of MPX3. It is based on MP3 SE with following parts:

MPX3 SE transformer Normally part of the SE modelDual filtered post Regulator power supply optionDual input selectable on front (can do a single input with one preamp for lower cost total)
Black Gate cathode capacitors $189
Black Gate output capacitors $450
Jensen coupling capacitors $156
JensenBlack model 2 Singlepower Gold Stepped attenuator $385 (Series model 1is $285)
Preamp outputs $119

$2249 total. Exceed my bugget a little and not a slam model. I want to add some slam feature.

Shall I exchange the gold stepped attenuator for some slam features and a black gate power capacitors upgrade?

Sorry I missed this post prior to making my last one. The MPX3se is a great amp and I am sure you'll be happy with it. Be careful with customization as it can significantly increase delivery times.

Oct 27, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #42 of 46
Quote:

the mini dac is nice (i owned one for a good while) but my G08 was a pretty big improvement over it. the G08 was the first time that i realized how important a good source was.

also, if i were spending 2k plus on an amp, i would go balanced. you already have a balanced source. something to consider.

Oct 27, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #43 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.........also, if i were spending 2k plus on an amp, i would go balanced. you already have a balanced source. something to consider.

If I go with a single end amp, I will get a great one. If I go with a balanced amp , I will get "two" normal ones. Can the "two" surpass the great "one"?

If I want to have a balanced amp, IMO I must double my bugget to get RP010B, B52 or balanced MPX3 to completely enjoy the power of balanced amps.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 27, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #45 of 46
Quote:

If I go with a single end amp, I will get a great one. If I go with a balanced amp , I will get "two" normal ones. Can the "two" surpass the great "one"?

If I want to have a balanced amp, IMO I must double my bugget to get RP010B, B52 or balanced MPX3 to completely enjoy the power of balanced amps.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yes, that is the right choice. Getting a very powerful single end amp, can give similar effect to a balanced amp. My Single Power SDS SE is more powerful sounding with better soundstage & image than several 3K balanced amps I've heard. You can do a lot with a powerful single end amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back