Yulong U100 vs. Audinst HUD-Mx1 vs. Maverick Tubemagic D1 vs. Audio-GD NFB-12
May 17, 2011 at 11:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Senpai3330

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a good entry level DAC to pair with the Matrix M-Stage soon and it seems like these 4 are really popular for beginners. I'm currently using a E7 docked to E9 so there's definitely room for improvement here.

I've read some reviews for each and a few comparisons but there doesn't seem to be a conclusive suggestion there. I would love some input on which to purchase in terms of DAC sound quality, the inclusion of a decent headphone amp in the unit is just a small perk really.

Note: This will probably be my mid-fi holdover for quite awhile.

May 17, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 6
Well this headphonia review has helped me decide at least between the Audinst and Yulong. Now I just wish I could find a good comparison to the other 2 DACs.

http://www.headfonia.com/the-new-recommendation-the-yulong-u100-usb-dac/

May 19, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 6
I don't think you'll find a very significant upgrade from an E7/E9.. You've listed dac/amp combos. It doesn't seem very cost effective to use dac/amp combos with a standalone amp on your budget. If you really want to "upgrade," I would look for dedicated DAC-onlys to get more for your money. Save your money, look into all the cheapo DACs like the Muse NOS dac, AMB y2, Music Streamer MSII, Hot Audio dacs, VDAC, there are a tonne of them...

May 19, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #5 of 6
V-DAC and Audio-GD NFB-2/3 are dancing just above my budget. If I raise it any higher it'll be months before I scrounge the funds together :/ A $250 unit really is ideal for me. I'm trying to find some more DAC only possibilities right now.

May 19, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 6
Honestly, it sucks to be a student and want to try for a decent DAC + M-Stage + lateral headphone upgrades and eventually somewhere far down the road Orthos set up. :frowning2: The first 2 components alone will probably take me the majority of a year.

Also, I know this sounds stupid but the V-DAC looks like something I'd find buried carelessly in the back of a home theatre cabinet. Just the font is so cheesy :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back