YULONG D200 Impression : ES9016 Balanced DAC + Class A Single End Headphone Amp + Balanced Pre-amp
May 15, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #91 of 312
  In very brief & simple terms - & I'm just getting to know my D200, My take on it is they are both really musical units. The DA8 pulls ahead with clarity, extension, & fidelity. The 'wow' factor that that can create could put in the musicality basket.
Musicality is the opposite of a boring/flat sound signature thats not engaging. Musicality is the toe tapping effect. Usually (but not always) the bass among other frequencies can north of neutral. I'm sure others could explain it in more definite terms, thats just my take on it. 

thanks for the reply! wouldn't in some ways though, the D200 be the more neutral choice then?

May 15, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #92 of 312
  thanks for the reply! wouldn't in some ways though, the D200 be the more neutral choice then?

They both share a very similar sound signature. The DA8 pulls ahead with more clarity, fidelity & extension, as mentioned. Which ever one is more neutral or musical would be up to the user. 

May 15, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #93 of 312
IMO I really think you should experience the D200 first before moving on to the higher end DA8. Learn to appreciate the qualities of audio then move up to the next step. If you start with a DA8 you'll just be taking a huge leap and not learn to enjoy what is improving. It's like if someone that always listened to beats by dr dre and suddenly bought a LCD-3 it would definitely sound better than the beats but making such a big jump you're not gonna know how to appreciate all the aspects that make the headphone great.

May 15, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #94 of 312
  IMO I really think you should experience the D200 first before moving on to the higher end DA8. Learn to appreciate the qualities of audio then move up to the next step. If you start with a DA8 you'll just be taking a huge leap and not learn to enjoy what is improving. It's like if someone that always listened to beats by dr dre and suddenly bought a LCD-3 it would definitely sound better than the beats but making such a big jump you're not gonna know how to appreciate all the aspects that make the headphone great.

maybe, I've been spoiled with some hand me down custom Kevek speakers and a PMA-750 pre amp, I've also had the opportunity to hear some truly fantastic set ups. I don't know much about headphones but I'm decent with frequency and sound, I just bought some k712s and tbh I think they sound like trash.

what I guess I mean to say is, mid fi seems to already sound bad to me, I'm trying to find something that is going to sound decent to me but is within my current means.

tl;dr I grew up around good equipment

May 16, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #97 of 312
You would not be the fist person to be turned off by the AKG sound..... K712 is better than the old K701/Q701 sound but still not that great for a lot of people (myself included).

The D200 so far is pretty damn impressive. Definitely on the same track as the DA8 but not as refined in some aspects. It's like buying a base model Porsche 911 instead of the fire breathing top models - your base model might not do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds, but it's plenty fast and fun to drive anyway. 

Dang, I should have saved that analogy for my eventual review. 

May 16, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #98 of 312
thanks for jumping in, I'm glad I'm relieved to hear you also don't love the AKG sound (I've come this far to the DA8 based on your great reviews.) I'm going to try to purchase a DA8 on the sales forums here and failing that I'll get a D200.

May 16, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #99 of 312
project86, please also share your impressions about D200's built-in headphone amplifier performance with low-impedance cans (Fostex TH600, Denon D7000). I wonder if D200 is good enough to be an upgrade over ODAC\O2 for Fostex TH600. Does D200's Slow filter really help to smooth out harsh treble? What about bass extension and control? ODAC\O2 is a bit bright with TH600.

However I already have Lars Audio DAC1 MK2 that you reviewed. So I'm not sure what might be better for TH600: D200 or Lars Audio DAC1 + decent headphone amp within 300-400$ (maybe Schiit Asgard 2, Aune S2 Panda MK2)...

May 16, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #100 of 312
  Ok, my D200 has arrived. My goodness, this is a special little DAC/AMP.  I will keep burning in an evaluating for a week before I right my review. 

To Answer your question purplegoat, I have owned the DA8. I'll be repeating the good advice owendance has given you. If you have the funds, The DA8 is the DAC/AMP to go for. That thing is truly hi-end and is the best DAC I've ever heard or owned. (Until my D8 just arrived of course) Its musical but with stunning fidelity and clarity.
The D200 is amazing value, like a cheaper, lower end DA8. Cheaper DAC, Cheaper case, etc.  
I'm also of the opinion that it's all about the journey - which you will love if it's D200 then DA8. Either way you laughing.

Hi customNuts,

I have read that you had a NFB-28, and have got the D200 recently, could I ask you maybe telling us about the difference between them? Cause I am planning to buy a combo, but can´t decide myself between them.Is the D200 on the same level of NFB-28? Since the price is different, 620 free shipping vs 680+50+pp, I suppose, NFB maybe is superior.

A little comparison between these 2 devices would be nice:wink:

Thank you!

May 17, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #101 of 312
  project86, please also share your impressions about D200's built-in headphone amplifier performance with low-impedance cans (Fostex TH600, Denon D7000). I wonder if D200 is good enough to be an upgrade over ODAC\O2 for Fostex TH600. Does D200's Slow filter really help to smooth out harsh treble? What about bass extension and control? ODAC\O2 doesn't impress me with TH600.

However I already have Lars Audio DAC1 MK2 that you reviewed. So I'm not sure what might be better for TH600: D200 or Lars Audio DAC1 + decent headphone amp within 300-400$ (maybe Schiit Asgard 2, Aune S2 Panda MK2)...

Will do! I've not had a lot more time to spend with it this week, so initial impressions are slow going. It's definitely a step up over the D100 mkII though. More "analog" sounding, without losing detail or resolution.

So far I've only had a chance to run the headphone output with my Alpha Dogs. Seems very solid so far. 

I didn't get to play with filters at all. 

May 18, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #103 of 312

It's definitely a step up over the D100 mkII though. More "analog" sounding, without losing detail or resolution.

Very nice! But there are Audio-GD Compass 2 and NFB-10.33 (Wolfson DAC). They might be even more "analog" sounding. Plus they're equipped with very powerful headphone amplifier. Combine it with lower price - Yulong's competitors are really strong :)

May 18, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #104 of 312

Very nice! But there are Audio-GD Compass 2 and NFB-10.33 (Wolfson DAC). They might be even more "analog" sounding. Plus they're equipped with very powerful headphone amplifier. Combine it with lower price - Yulong's competitors are really strong :)

Sure, they "might" be. You never know.

I've not had the best experience with Audio GD in the lower ranges, though I do like his stuff in the Reference series. I never understand his portfolio though - why have both the Compass 2 and the NFB-10.33 available? Aren't they close enough in price and feature set to be a major overlap? Kingwa always confuses me in that way. 

May 22, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #105 of 312
Hi I own a great TEAC PD501 player that includes a DSD DAC combined with the integrated amplifier AI-501. Not so happy with the ai501's headphone amplifier though. so so with my Denon AH-D2000 (I hate their trebles though) and not good with my Sennheiser HD650 that are great but a little narrow in my eyes as to their soundstage and I do feel the lack of power of the headphone amp makes them somehow veiled yes. living in China so easy for me to buy on taobao. Project86 can you please help me in deciding what would be the best upgrade ?DA8, but I heard the headphone amp is rather not for high impedance headphones. A28 with asingle ended input and balanced output to start with and then add the D200 later considering the DAC chip would be better than what I currently have plus I would eventually go for fully balanced, does that make sense with a HD650? While I do prefer the HD650 to the Denon the Denon has a much bettre soundstage. Would these upgrades benefit to the Sennheiser soundstage? Or should I buy also another headphone (HE-400? hE-560?) and sell what I have? Sorry for my newbie questions appreciate anyone's advice ! Listening mainly to classical music and enjoy wide soundstage/ instrument separation.Thanks !:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back