Yuin's 1st IEM OK1?
Feb 23, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #31 of 70
I have to disagree about the terminology, yes they were originally called IEMs because they were originally used as monitors, but they weren't hard-wired to the wireless packs, they were still IEMs when you unplugged them, they didn't suddenly become canalphones. Even still some people who aren't public use them for critical listening as something of a monitor. Plus canalphones implies that they only go to the canal, and rest on the entrance of it, hence why it is used for shallow insertion products like this. IEMs truly do go into the ear not simply on the canal, which is why they retain the IEM name, even if they aren't really neutral like a monitor should be. Personally I could live with in ear headphone if you can't stand calling them monitors, but there is a very clear difference between IEMs and canalphones, mostly in isolation, but there are other factors as well.

As for these Yuins, they don't look terribly comfortable. A lot of the products sold to convert ear-buds into canalphones are at least angled, these go straight in, which I know wouldn't fit my ears, and probably won't fit a lot of other peoples ears. But on the plus side you can take that part off and use it as an earbud and if it is better than the PK1 then it should be pretty good.

Feb 23, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #32 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to disagree about the terminology, yes they were originally called IEMs because they were originally used as monitors, but they weren't hard-wired to the wireless packs, they were still IEMs when you unplugged them, they didn't suddenly become canalphones. Even still some people who aren't public use them for critical listening as something of a monitor. Plus canalphones implies that they only go to the canal, and rest on the entrance of it, hence why it is used for shallow insertion products like this. IEMs truly do go into the ear not simply on the canal, which is why they retain the IEM name, even if they aren't really neutral like a monitor should be. Personally I could live with in ear headphone if you can't stand calling them monitors, but there is a very clear difference between IEMs and canalphones, mostly in isolation, but there are other factors as well.

a985_2223.gif

Again, the whole tube b/w middle ear (ear drum) and pinna (ear flap) is known as 'ear canal'. Regardless of how deep the 'phone insertion is, it is in the ear canal (see wiki). The only reason we call a canalphone in an IEM system as 'In-Ear Monitor' is because we use it on 'monitoring' purpose (and has nothing to do with how deep the insertion goes!). If you check out some of the early Shure's IEM system, you will find a few of them actually use shallowly inserted canalphone - doesn't means they are not used for monitoring or shouldn't be called IEM in anyway. Personally speaking, I think people want to call their canalphone as IEM mainly because it sounds really 'classy' and makes them feel justified for all the money they spent
cool.gif
tongue.gif

Back on topic:
Is OK1 expected to out price PK1 significantly? I will like get a 2 weeks notice if I am going to get bankrupt again
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #33 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When OK1s remove their canals and work as earbuds, they are much better than PK1.

Mm...much better than Pk1...interesting

I wonder...How much will it cost...
Nankai, is there going to be some kind of discount for Head-Fiers?

Feb 24, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #34 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again, the whole tube b/w middle ear (ear drum) and pinna (ear flap) is known as 'ear canal'. Regardless of how deep the 'phone insertion is, it is in the ear canal (see wiki). The only reason we call a canalphone in an IEM system as 'In-Ear Monitor' is because we use it on 'monitoring' purpose (and has nothing to do with how deep the insertion goes!). If you check out some of the early Shure's IEM system, you will find a few of them actually use shallowly inserted canalphone - doesn't means they are not used for monitoring or shouldn't be called IEM in anyway. Personally speaking, I think people want to call their canalphone as IEM mainly because it sounds really 'classy' and makes them feel justified for all the money they spent
cool.gif
tongue.gif

I know the canal goes deep, but in my post I define a canalphone as one that sits on the entrance of the canal, and an IEM as one that goes in. I have no experience with Shures so I can't say what I would call them, but you apparently have ER-6s which definitely go beyond the entrance of the canal, those would be IEMs since they do go into the ear instead of resting just outside of it. As for the monitoring aspect, I have a pair of desktop monitors, I mainly use them just for listening to music, does this mean they are no longer monitors? If a musician uses their IEMs off of the stage with an iPod or something of the like, does this mean they are suddenly no longer IEMs. That doesn't make much sense to me.

Feb 24, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #35 of 70
Enough with the charts. Who cares, really? Why was it even brought up? Serves no purpose. It's a big so what? No? Canalphones. IEMs. The main point with the labels seems to me to be able to differentiate one type of phone from another. And there is a difference between C700s and Ety ER4Ps in terms of how deep they go into the ear. The point is clarity. Why confuse it all with a semantics discussion?

I am going to call phones that primarily use those soft, floppy silicone sleeves canalphones. And the ones that primarily use foamies/flanges and go deep into your ears IEMs. Not trying to be obtuse. But really, it's just a way to define two different types of phones. Not many posts that I've seen deal with on-stage hardware/phones.

Edit: Any conjecture that people use the term IEM as a way of "showing off" or to justify the spending is really a stretch in my view. Oh, and being a former musician, I'll still call Ety ER4Ps IEMs, even if they technically aren't. It doesn't seem offensive or wrong-headed to me.

Feb 24, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #36 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally speaking, I think people want to call their canalphone as IEM mainly because it sounds really 'classy' and makes them feel justified for all the money they spent
cool.gif

I think 'iem' sounds like a sexual disease / urinary infection. . . I think I'll stick with canalphone
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #37 of 70
Or some government entity... "In a major finding, the IEM today announced that a new study reports that spending too much time on headphone forums can cause brain damage..."

Okay, so back to the Ok1....

Feb 24, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #38 of 70
Canalphone? Still sounds kind of nasty to me, too. We need to find new, nicer names for the types of portable phones we all discuss here. At least ear buds are ear buds, right? No improper usage there.

Feb 24, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #39 of 70
Yuin seems to have a great engineering team but when you mention marketing to them, they probably scratch their heads and have a blank expression on their faces.

They need to hire someone to work on their product casing. Advertising i'm not sure because if they do any advertising it's probably towards asian countries where high-end earbuds are more popular.

Feb 24, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #40 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am going to call phones that primarily use those soft, floppy silicone sleeves canalphones. And the ones that primarily use foamies/flanges and go deep into your ears IEMs. Not trying to be obtuse. But really, it's just a way to define two different types of phones. Not many posts that I've seen deal with on-stage hardware/phones.

...allow me to be off topic one last time. Here is a company that love to use soft, floppy silicone sleeves on all their universal canalphone: Ultimate Ears (yes, they stick out a lot too).

Feb 24, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #41 of 70
Whatever. I think we've all made our points, and can agree to disagree. And I did say "primarily" use soft silicone sleeves in my post, which indicates there are always exceptions to the rule.

Agree on one thing, back to topic.

Mar 1, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #42 of 70
Hey Guys

Just to let you know I have a pair of Yuin OK2 coming my way, will do a nice review to let you know how it is
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote: OK series have OK1/2/3. They are earbud/canalphone(canal removable). Better sound than PKs. - Fang frm Head Direct

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back