Yuin's 1st IEM OK1?
Feb 22, 2008 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

paper2k1

Head-Fier
CIMG3659.JPG

Assuming that this is the final production version...

Feb 22, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #3 of 70
Hahaha, true. I wonder if they'll sound the same as PK1.

Feb 22, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #5 of 70
Canal phones typically use silicone tips (like the ones in the photo) and do not got as deep in your ear canal as IEMs. As a result, canal phones (and this is generally speaking) do not offer the same amount of isolation or "in your head" sound as IEMs. Most canal phones use one style of sleeve, the soft silicone ones you see on the PK1s above. Now, those come in many flavors from different manufacturers, and you can also use foamies and flanges with canal phones, but it's less likely.

IEMs just go much deeper into your ear canals. Examples of canal phones are Sony EX-90s, Denon C700s, Mylar X3i, Senn CX300s, etc. Example of IEMs are Etymotic ER4P and er6i, Altec-Lansing iM716s/616s, Atrio M5s, etc.

Hope that helps. Basically, IEMs and canal phones offer very different tactile sensations to the user. Naturally, some prefer one over the other, and some people own/use both, depending on their situation. Example: Sometimes, when I play poker, I use the Sony OEM canal phones that came with my A816 DAP or (PK3 ear buds), because I want to be able to listen softly while I play, but still hear the other players. If I did that with my 716s, even at soft volume, I would have a very hard time hearing others. On the flip side, if you are on a plane or train, an IEM would be better at sealing off the engine sounds (and sounds of others around you) than a pair of canal phones (you might have to crank the latter to dangerous listening levels to hear the music over the outside noise).

Hope that helps.

Feb 22, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #8 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hahaha, true. I wonder if they'll sound the same as PK1.

No idea. But with the SA6s on the way, not much to say. I actually sold my PK1s to finance the SA6s, but I will never sell the PK3s. Wonder if they will make a comparable lineup of canal phones (three flavors based on price/performance)? Now, that would be interesting. A $40-50 canalphone with the Yuin sound. I might be able to buy that. But I doubt it. I may get a pair of the Yuin IEMs to try, but that's up to Fang.

Feb 22, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #9 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Argh you beat me to it ^ :p

Yeah, but your response is much more pithy. We writers have a hard time keeping it brief sometimes.

Feb 22, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #14 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. A Google search reveals a korean site listing the OK1, and a thread on a korean forum (Google translation).

I hope they'll be cheap, or that there will be an introductory offer for head-fi readers. Even though I would love to see portable closed phones by Yuin, with the PK3 sound signature. I would buy them at once.

Agree, if they sell an inexpensive canal phone that sounds as good as the PK3, its an insta-buy.

Feb 22, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #15 of 70
IEM is just a type of canalphone, which basically includes every type of earphone that go into the ear canal. How deep the 'phones' tips go or how much isolation have nothing to do with what we call it.

The word 'IEM' originally refers to the canalphones (which are mostly custom ) used in an 'In-Ear Monitor System' - a type of (usually) wireless professional canalphone system mostly used on stage by musician and audio engineer. Later it becomes an easier word for the ipod generation when referring to all canalphones. If you must get technical about it, 'IEM' should only be used to refer canalphones in an IEM system; Any canalphone that are not part of an IEM system is just 'canalphone'.

However, the term 'IEM' has been used very loosely over the past few years by manufacturers and consumer alike. I don't think we need to be very strict on defining which is what.. at least it won't serve any useful purpose in a discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back