Yuin PK2 vs. JVC HA-F130, Have I lost my mind?
May 7, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #31 of 43
Hahaha, Tom (tstarn), I'm glad to see you like the modded iM716 so much. They are a great tweak.
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #32 of 43
Funny, I do like the 716s a lot (especially at $40 including de-podding), but mainly with the Minibox, even modded. The Sleeks are still a better choice out of the HP jack of the Zune and Clip, but the Sony matches up better with the 716s, which need a bass boost to me. Best combo is the 716s, the Minibox and the ZVM via LOD.

Anyway, these $9 JVCs sound not bad, but when I first tried them out of the package without a cover, ouch! Sibilant as hell (I know, $9). I put on full pads from my collection (from the OK3s) and they sounded much, much better. Better than the OK3s? Not hardly. But for $9, you could do worse. It is pretty amazing how a $9 ear bud can sound acceptable, for ear bud situations (which are getting less and less for me, with the RE2s and the SA6s around).

May 9, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by ev01ut10ndt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what I conclude from all of this is that the iBuds are not as bad as people make them out to be.

First gen iBud is really bad, but the 2nd gen is okay. After received too many complaint, Apple decided to do it right and let the professional makes the bud. Now they are supplied by Foster using a tweaked MX500 transducer.

May 12, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First gen iBud is really bad, but the 2nd gen is okay. After received too many complaint, Apple decided to do it right and let the professional makes the bud. Now they are supplied by Foster using a tweaked MX500 transducer.

Yeah. I was a bit surprised over the iBuds SQ. I didn't bother to plug them in at all when i got my new iPod 3G. So thanks to this thread I "discovered" their rather nice sound
biggrin.gif

To my issue. After buying (had to
wink.gif
, cause of HF) the Gumy's and giving them a bit of burning in (like 60 hours) I can't say they are competetive to my PK2s at all. Phweewh! I was a bit concerned there for a while.
The PK2s are much more detailed and have clearer sound. The highs are more articulated and ... so on. The iBuds was also doing better than the Gumy's.

So after my little test of these three I would rank them;
1. PK2
2. iBud
3. Gumy

I've tried these with iPod 3G and Creative Stone+ and well compressed songs.
Strangely I found the iBuds doing better with the Stone than with the iPod
confused.gif
But the PK2s shined even with both sources.

Maybe the Gumy's should have a longer burn in period?

Well, I'll stick to my PK2's

May 12, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny, I do like the 716s a lot (especially at $40 including de-podding), but mainly with the Minibox, even modded. The Sleeks are still a better choice out of the HP jack of the Zune and Clip, but the Sony matches up better with the 716s, which need a bass boost to me. Best combo is the 716s, the Minibox and the ZVM via LOD.

Anyway, these $9 JVCs sound not bad, but when I first tried them out of the package without a cover, ouch! Sibilant as hell (I know, $9). I put on full pads from my collection (from the OK3s) and they sounded much, much better. Better than the OK3s? Not hardly. But for $9, you could do worse. It is pretty amazing how a $9 ear bud can sound acceptable, for ear bud situations (which are getting less and less for me, with the RE2s and the SA6s around).

What do you like better? The RE2 or the iM716?

May 13, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagasaki_Kid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ipod, foster, mx500? Huh? Aren't the MX500 transducer made by cresyn.

Not to my knowledge. MX500 is made in Foster's factory @ GUANGZHOU PANYU, China. I do know that Cresyn makes the ATH-CM5's transducer though (which is the same as Creative EP880).
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tough call, but I'd say the 716s, but not by much. In fact, I have to go back and A/B it now. Will update you.

I feel the same. I like my amped iM716 a bit better than RE2, but not much.

May 15, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuesday /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe the Gumy's should have a longer burn in period?

If they're not doing it for your ears by now, they probably won't. I found them every bit the equal pretty much out of the packaging. Weeks later, I am still amazed by their quality.

How you can rank iBuds greater than these I'll never know, but that shows how different people pay attention to different spectra of sound. The recessed, muddied up lows of the iBuds destroy any enjoyment of music I can have with them. Naturally, I've got like three sets of the damn things
tongue.gif

May 15, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by channum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they're not doing it for your ears by now, they probably won't. I found them every bit the equal pretty much out of the packaging. Weeks later, I am still amazed by their quality.

How you can rank iBuds greater than these I'll never know, but that shows how different people pay attention to different spectra of sound. The recessed, muddied up lows of the iBuds destroy any enjoyment of music I can have with them. Naturally, I've got like three sets of the damn things
tongue.gif

I agree on both counts. I revisited the stock iPod earbuds after reading this forum, and to me they still sound like cans.... tin cans, that is.

To my old ears, the Gumys blow them away. I may have to get a spare pair just to have on hand, because it never fails, as soon as I find something I like they get discontinued.

I've also been using the set of Philips SHE2360's I picked up around the same time as the Gumys for $12.95 and enjoy them also. I save the ER-4Ps for home use and use the Gumys and the Philips at work. They both have their own different sound, and I really like swapping back and forth.

Jun 29, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #41 of 43
i just got the f130 and am very dissapointed (especially because i love the fx33's when modded). the midrange is all messed up and accented in the maybe 3-6khz region (or 1khz with foam) and the highs are very lacking above 8khz, especially with foam. they cant begin to compare to either the modded fx33 (nor even the stock fx33) or the pk3, ksc75.

burning in a lot now.

Jul 6, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #42 of 43
i've burned them in for a couple days now and the sound hasn't changed much. very very boosted mids (and not evenly) and lacking highs is the main problem, infact with the difference in the highs i don't know how anyone could say they compare with any of the yuins - especially the pk2 which are supposed to be the brighter of the 3 yuins. donut foams are definitely better than no foam or full foam, though.

looks like i'll have to drag the bulky ksc75's around for open phones unless i want the most sensitive area for hearing loss (3-6khz) to get even worse.

Dec 23, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #43 of 43
I had a Yuin PK2 wich I loved it. After almost 3 years the wire got cut off. So I buyed the JVC gumy HA-F160. That thread is was really helpful to me since I was looking to compare both the PK2 and the gumy. Hope I find the gumy ones similar to the PK2. I don't expect that it will be the same but if they are at least similar I'll be very pleased. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back