Yuin PK2 or OK3 - Cannot Decide, Please Help
Mar 2, 2009 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Nosoupforyou

100+ Head-Fier
Head-Fi'ers,

My friend loathes IEMs, so I'll be getting him earbuds. The yuin pk2's and ok3's are around the same price, but I don't know which is better!

He enjoys good rap, vocal, and alternative rock, so I think midbass, low extension, and a warmer signature are important. He hates the Senn MX300's that he has now. Music is off an unamped iPod touch.

Please help! I literally know nothing about Yuin-branded products, except they make decent earbuds.

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #3 of 11
I think OK3 is the better choice as it is based on PK3, which I prefer to PK2. It should have a somewhat bassier and more fun sound than PK2, while providing comparable detail in the treble (PK3 is a bit weak on the treble, but OK3 apparently improves upon it in this area). Also, OK3 should benefit more from amping.

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #4 of 11
OK3 is a little better phone (I once owned both). Only problem for me was the OK3 is a bit thicker and has a more pronounced edge (see the photo comparisons on Head-Direct.com), and that difference, albeit slight, caused the OK3s to hurt with prolonged use, but the PK3s or PK2s) never did. This may not be an issue for your friend, but it was for me.

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 11
To me they were identical, and I'd go with the cheaper one (there are often random discounts on Head-direct's low end products).

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #6 of 11
I listened to the PK2 and PK3 side-by-side last week. I was listening carefully for any differences. They had the same amount of bass. The mids and highs were just a bit better on the PK2's. Kind of a subtle difference, though.

Mar 3, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott549 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened to the PK2 and PK3 side-by-side last week. I was listening carefully for any differences. They had the same amount of bass. The mids and highs were just a bit better on the PK2's. Kind of a subtle difference, though.

you mean OK3?? it`s imposibble that the pk2 has same bass amount compare to pk3

Mar 3, 2009 at 10:46 AM Post #8 of 11
Edit: I should learn to read more carefully.
tongue.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #9 of 11
I can't speak for the OK3's, but I will tell you that the PK2's have a nice, warm signature (with the donut pads) and their SQ is that much better compared to any Senn earbud i've tried. They're damn tough as well, I've yanked them pretty hard about 5 times when I use them at the gym, and they still work perfectly...i've had them for more than a year now.

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #11 of 11
It's odd, there's very little info on the OK-series, but they're supposed to be newer, better built, and all-around better. However, their pricing is pretty whack -- the OK2 is 129 on Head-Direct.

So far I think I'm planning to go with the PK2's, but if there's anyone out there who can give me a compelling reason to shoot for the OK2's, do please post something here.

Also, I was reading a lengthy Yuin-product-shootout here on Head-Fi, and on the list was mentioned the Audio-technica ATH-CM700 earbuds. They look marvelous, but cost $110-ish from Yes-Asia... situated in, err, Asia, but with free international shipping. Guys, does anyone have any comments on the sound quality of these babies? They look long, possibly uncomfortable, but in the shootout it was mentioned that they have sublime sonic capabilities with a nice soundstage.

Also, a big thanks to everyone who responded so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back