YUIN PK2 - a review
Feb 17, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #31 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes
biggrin.gif

Thanks, Garrett, for digging that detail out in response to my request for information. My question was not academic. I just ordered a set of PK1, and I've got multiple amp options in my small amp collection, with opamp rolling options and input voltage selections in a few which will permit me to try this opamp (AD8620) and others to find the synergy best suited to my ear and tastes. Based on my past experiences with one of these amps (a limited edition HeadSave (remember HeadSave?) 3-Channel Classic), I'm expecting the AD8620/10 to be a strong performer in it. I'm glad to have your positive experience with matching the AD8620 to the PK1 as well. So, again, many thanks for your follow-through. I very much appreciate it.

With the phones to which the PK1 are being likened (Darth Beyer, Koss A250 and some early impression comparisons to aspects of the RS-1) I could no longer resist the value offered by the PK1 (With all due thanks to Jdimitri for his early PK1 reporting and encouragement to try them).

Feb 19, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #33 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Noback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mad.gif
I am having an Big headache to get Pk2 or Gradosr60 / Somone please enlighten me .

I had the same decision and I went with the PK2s. Can't wait to get them.

Feb 19, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #35 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Noback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what made u choose the pk2 rather than grado sr60 ?

I would have loved to audition both of them and then choose based on that. So doing it unheard was tough, but I use my headphones 90% at work. I'm in front of a computer all day, and that is what helps me. Otherwise I usually just use something cheap like Marshmallow's or my home speakers.

Working in a Cubicle World means that open headphones might not be the best choice. Now it is true that most people around me have headphones, I still want to keep it quiet, and sometimes people come up quickly to ask a question and I need to be answer easily, so pulling out an earbud is definitely easier than taking off headphones.

So combine all of that with reviews that a combo of the PK2 and the GoVibe that I have on the way is a great sounding pair. So for $49 shipped through Head-Direct, I couldn't turn it down. Can't wait to get them.

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #36 of 80
I don't think you'll be dissapointed. I just picked up the pk1 today, and tried them on when my husband and I went out to eat... yeah, I couldn't wait. And Oh...my....God. The only complaint would be a slight hollowness when using the donut pads. That complaint is small potatos though, considering what you get in return. I've switched to the full pads though, and that hollowness is gone, but the detail is just slightly rolled off.

Again, that complaint is extremely nit-picky. It's only complaining so that I don't sound like an instant fangurl. The sound is gianormous, detailed, and fun. To me these share more in common with ms2i's, at least at this point. Little baby ms2i's. And this is out of the box. Awesome awesome jaw-droppingly immense sound. A very nice compliment to custom IEMs, it's not the huge let-down such headphone switching usually is.

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #37 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't laugh. my Darth Beyers but with more prominent mids.

Blasphemy! Could be a pair of PK1 in my future....

Err...I ordered a pair of PK2, too, just now, even before I read this.
etysmile.gif

For $49 I had to give them a try!

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #38 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think you'll be dissapointed. I just picked up the pk1 today, and tried them on when my husband and I went out to eat... yeah, I couldn't wait. And Oh...my....God. The only complaint would be a slight hollowness when using the donut pads. That complaint is small potatos though, considering what you get in return. I've switched to the full pads though, and that hollowness is gone, but the detail is just slightly rolled off.

Again, that complaint is extremely nit-picky. It's only complaining so that I don't sound like an instant fangurl. The sound is gianormous, detailed, and fun. To me these share more in common with ms2i's, at least at this point. Little baby ms2i's. And this is out of the box. Awesome awesome jaw-droppingly immense sound. A very nice compliment to custom IEMs, it's not the huge let-down such headphone switching usually is.

See Plainsong? You can trust me!
icon10.gif

Oh and Silverrain, I don't know what I'm going to do. My wife totally bogarted the PK2 for her Shuffle duty, and I'm going to have to snatch em back to return em at the Regional Meet! It must have been that long stint with them out of the macbook for the first season of Prison Break that did it.

Feb 23, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #39 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Likewise!!!

I was jaw-droppingly shocked when I plugged the PK1 into that mint. TALK about SYNNERGY!!! I'm starting to approach HF1 levels here folks (notice my profile update and how I rank the PK1 on my list). In terms of the midrange and treble the PK1 really is that good. I'm going to try the solid-pads more this weekend.

Dont dis-credit the PK2 though... It has that lower midrange flair that the PK1 lacks. So, the PK2 could very easily be a preference for some.

Look out everyone... Theres going to be an SR60 on the F/S block soon
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #40 of 80
And like Jahn, I'd also like to nominate the pk1/Hornet as synergy-approved.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm going to try the donut-pads again some time once they've run in a bit, but either way, just awesome.

Not only that, but they're the first earbuds to ever stay put on my ear, I guess because they're so short. And to think I was going to pick up the ath-cm3 a year or so ago. Yikes!

But yes, I was in doubt, but I found the word of Jahn, and it was good.
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #41 of 80
Hi,

Could any of you tell me how PK2s compare to PX100? I've tried searching and I haven't seen any comparisons between these two phones. I just saw that the PK2s are on sale and there is only a $~10 difference between the two. I'm in need of a pair of headphones for portable usage such as the gym. I've already ruled out KSC75s and canalphones due to comfort issues. Thanks!

Feb 24, 2007 at 8:41 AM Post #42 of 80
Quote:

the answer to that is yes, they are totally different beasts. for instance, put a PK2 in an ipod, bingo no prob. put a PK1 in there? What. on the other hand, hook a Hornet up to both, and the PK2 is like "a bit rich for my blood, no?" while the PK1 is like "uh, put me on high gain please. ah, thanks. ok...HERE WE GO!" and the PK1 dances rings around the PK2. better high and low extension and definition, just sounds more real to me. less like a commerical/portable solution and more like a Home Can believe it or not. But then, the price diff is very significant and they both look like OEM buds, oh well.

I wonder, how would the PK1 fare with a 1G iPod Shuffle or other DAPs (not other iPods with their bass roll-off). Did anyone test that? I'm looking for something when I don't want to use my ER-4 nor an amp.

Feb 24, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #43 of 80
Quote:

My wife totally bogarted the PK2 for her Shuffle duty […]

Is that a 1G or 2G Shuffle? You have the PK1, too, right? I'm looking for a review of the PK1 (if that's the high-impedance one) with the 1G Shuffle. Could find any of the Yuin's in your profile, so I'm just guessing.

Feb 24, 2007 at 8:50 AM Post #44 of 80
hiya, the PK buds are on loan (giving em back next week at the meet actually) and the 2G shuffle is my wife's so that's why none are in the profile. the PK1 will NOT be powered sufficiently by either a shuffle or my 5G ipod. you neeeeeeed an amp. fair warning!

Feb 24, 2007 at 8:55 AM Post #45 of 80
Quote:

hiya, the PK buds are on loan (giving em back next week at the meet actually) and the 2G shuffle is my wife's so that's why none are in the profile. the PK1 will NOT be powered sufficiently by either a shuffle or my 5G ipod. you neeeeeeed an amp. fair warning!

Man, so not what I want to hear.
frown.gif

Reason is, I have a 2G Shuffle on loan here, a 1G Shuffle that's my daughter's and a 4G. The 1G Shuffle blows both the 2G Shuffle and 4G iPod out of the water. I was hoping it would drive the PK1 as it drives the ER-4 in S mode sufficiently (not on par with my Xin, but still). The same ER-4 in the other iPods is hopelessly underpowered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back