Yuin PK1 amp <$200 please
Jun 1, 2009 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Ghigguls

100+ Head-Fier
I keep hearing how good the PK1's are with the Minibox-E+, but I can't really afford it. So, I was wondering if there is an amp out there that would amp the PK1's properly. I'm thinking about the XM4, but are there any others? Thanks head-fi!
darthsmile.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #2 of 20
[size=xx-small]Moderator edit:[/size]

"Greater-than" symbol edited to be a "Less-than" symbol in title.

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #5 of 20
mini^3 high gain is well under your budget and sounds great IMO, with enough power to drive PK1 no problem

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #11 of 20
Not to hijack this thread but I ended up following the consensus above and ordered the parts for a mini^3 to go with my PK1. May not be the most economical option but it should be a learning experience!

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #12 of 20
make sure you build the high gain version. its the only way you'll get enough power out of the amp with PK1 IMO

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #14 of 20
sure; obviously you arent the type that might like to tinker and gain the valuable experience/satisfaction that comes from building it yourself. some might even think that makes it sound better
tongue.gif
thats cool, some people just arent built that way. besides I think you'll find the prebuilt ones wont include any upgrades; whereas its only a few extra dollars to add upgraded resistors and caps. this elevates performance considerably

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
make sure you build the high gain version. its the only way you'll get enough power out of the amp with PK1 IMO

i'd go for the low gain version. most of the pots will suffer some channel imbalance at the lower end of the dial. with a gain of 5, i need to go into fairly high volume just to push through the imbalance, and even then i'm still only hovering at around 9 o'clock. the PK1 does not require a lot of gain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...besides I think you'll find the prebuilt ones wont include any upgrades; whereas its only a few extra dollars to add upgraded resistors and caps. this elevates performance considerably

i seriously doubt this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back