Yuin OK2 - Canal/Bud Review
Apr 27, 2008 at 10:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

NeObliviscaris

Niiice!
Previously known as FeedMeTrance
A very basic review of the upcoming Yuin OK2 Canal Bud earphone from Head-Direct
After my review of the VSonic VSR02 (VSonic VSR02 Review) provided to me by Fang @ Head-Direct, I was one of the lucky that got sent a sneak preview at the upcoming Yuin line. The Yuin OK2, as part of the OK1, 2, 3 line. I am assuming it is the same hierarchy as the PKs, with 3 being entry level and 1 being high-end.

What is the OK2? The new Yuin OK2, to me, is a hybrid bud/canal phone. Not to be confused with an in-ear monitor, I would not group the OK2 with IEMs due to the nature of the fit and design. The OK2 has two mods:
Canal: a screwable stem that screws to the middle of the bud, I was supplied with a long and short one, and a variety of tips.
Bud: removing the stem, leaves a bud, but with a donut, this is a normal bud, and can put foam/donut foam over it.

n571610728_1153816_6308.jpg

^ Bud Mode with donut foam

n571610728_1153819_7028.jpg

^ Bud Mode without donut foam

n571610728_1153810_4890.jpg

^ Canal Mode with short stem and tip (sorry crap pic)

n571610728_1153812_5351.jpg

^ Canal Mode with short stem without tip

n571610728_1153813_5588.jpg

^ Long Canal Mode with special biflange

n571610728_1153806_3877.jpg

^ Long Canal Mode with Etymotic triflange

n571610728_1153808_4422.jpg

^ Long Canal Mode with no tips

Package & Build Quality
The OK2s are built as solid and basic as the PK line. No frills (I am unsure of the packaging, as I just got sent the earphone and tips), basic, sturdy, strong rugged cable. Black. I am not certain as to specific details such as impedance, but I will take it at face value that the rankings and impedances will somewhat mirror the PK/RE series. Microphonics were a slight issue when there was no music, but once I hit play, they virtually disappeared.

Modes and Setup
The rig used to review this earphone:
Apple Lossless -> iPod Classic -> 22G Cryo/Silver LOD -> RSA Predator (over 600 hours)
Modes:
Bud Mode: straight bud mode with donut foam
Short Canal Mode: default canal mode with short stem and white biflanges
Long Canal Mode: longer silver stem with special biflanges (also Etymotic triflanges)

Comfort
Bud Mode: very nice on the ear, with or without donut foam, no pain, great for hours on end
Short Canal Mode: tricky to establish a good fit, not very comfortable
Long Canal Mode: very uncomfortable, difficult to establish fit

Isolation
Bud Mode: very little, obviously isolation gets better with volume, but in a quiet room, does leak
Short Canal Mode: still minimal, can hear myself type, but as volume increases, it gets better
Long Canal Mode: seal was hard to attain, so really can’t comment fully

Sound Quality

Bud Mode:
The sound quality is extremely balanced. I found the OK2s to treat every aspect of a track fairly. However, found it a bit more brighter than the PK1. I found the sound similar to that of the Etymotic ER4P. Very overall and very fair. They are very full bodied, and I would rank these higher than that of my Stock Grado SR80s. Songs with vocals such as Delta Goodrem are immensely detailed in the vocals, and every nuance of the artist is heard. When listening to techno, the bass was a tad bit lacking for my liking; again, the brightness of these phones does hinder any bass potential. Soundstage is acceptable, doesn’t feel like the artist/instruments are in your ear, but doesn’t feel like they are very far away so to speak. The OK2 treats rock music fairly well, keeps up, and isn’t sibilant at all.

Short Canal Mode (biflange):
With a tighter seal, comes an increase in bass, with some affect on mids and highs. After difficulty with a fit, I found them more acceptable. With a nice emphasis on bass now, but still encompassing the detail as experienced in bud mode, they are a different type of sound. Now I’d compare them to the ranks of the UE Super Fi 5. Nice overall sound, great body, still better than my SR80s. Vocals and mids are somewhat recessed though, but I am still enjoying them. Techno is much more enjoyable for those who like their bass, the bass is more quality than quantity, nice deep and bodied. However, for those who want the detail of synths and whatnot, they aren’t found here. Now for rock music, wow, these played very well with rock, very involving, and in your face so too speak.

Long Canal Mode (special biflange/Ety triflange)
These were a pain to get in, and I couldn’t get a decent seal, with the seal I had, I wasn’t satisfied enough to even write about this mode. So I tried out my Ety triflange. Still, SQ is horrid, and the seal is to blame.

Conclusion
I find that the OK2 is a worthy opponent to the PK1. Although I wasn’t able to AB the two together, I find the PK1 a tad bit higher on the food chain, especially when amped. The OK2 is a great bud nevertheless, and to my knowledge will be introduced as the middle contender. I think these earphones have potential in some great rigs with some great amps, and no doubt they will pair will with something out there. I use these on a daily basis straight out of a laptop, and am very content. I prefer bud mode over the canal modes – I found canal mode to be uncomfortable as the canal is in the middle of the phone. If it had been setup similar to the Sony EX90, then it would be a different story I reckon.

Apr 27, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #3 of 7
I can't see the pictures.

Anyway, thanks for a great review. It makes me more curious about OK1 and OK2. Have you had any chance to try OK1 as well?

Nov 25, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #5 of 7
Anybody know how much burn-in required for Yuin Ok2? I have give it 50 hours so far. But compared to my Modded Sony Mdr-e888lp, I do not feel Yuin Ok2 is that much improvement. Vocal definitely is better on the 888.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back