YP-Z5 vs Nano G2 vs Zen V plus vs E2xx.
Sep 23, 2006 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

aliquis

100+ Head-Fier
Which one is better and why?

I had the impression that Samsung YP-Z5 should have very good sound quality, battery life is good, I think it works as UMS-device now and supports ogg. The new versions also got radio. However it's the most expensive one.

Old nanos seemed to suck, but the new one atleast got better battery life, or? Rockbox fixes many of the problems but does it work on the new Nanos?

The later two I don't know much about, the Zen V plus is cheap as I've understood it. How is sound quality, ums, formats, batterylife? Does anyone know?

The Sandisk E2xx is quite sexy, but how is sound quality? How does it compare on average over the others?

Sep 23, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #3 of 16
I bought a Sandisk e2xx 4GB several weeks ago. It is a lot of flash player for the money but it is not quite ready for prime time IMHO. The e2xx does a lot but most of the functions need important improvements.

The video player files have to be split into chunks. There is no resume position in videos.

There is noise in between tracks. This is only significant when the player is hooked up to a powerful stereo system.

Resume is problematic.

Low volume is not low enough. Volume always reverts to mid volume when powering up.

The wheel light can be annoying.

The record switch is easily pressed and cannot be disabled.

With the price drops of the Nanos, the e2xx series is not as much of a bargain. My e2xx went back to the store for an Ipod Video instead.

Sep 23, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by aliquis
I had the impression that Samsung YP-Z5 should have very good sound quality, battery life is good, I think it works as UMS-device now and supports ogg. The new versions also got radio. However it's the most expensive one.

Look at Cowon's iAudio line for FM + recording, bookmarks, OGG, choices in batteries (G3=AA=50hrs), UMS (only), and sound quality. The U3 also supports FLAC, as do their hard-drive players.

Sep 23, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 16
The new firmware for the e200 series removes that limit, and it generally improves the usability of the player. From my research, it is quite a nice player for those who know what they're doing, especially power users. I was going to get one, but damned Wal-Mart won't sell it to me.

Sep 23, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by bungle
Look at Cowon's iAudio line for FM + recording, bookmarks, OGG, choices in batteries (G3=AA=50hrs), UMS (only), and sound quality. The U3 also supports FLAC, as do their hard-drive players.

Yeah, I saw the new F2 yesterday:
f2_zoom01.jpg

f2_zoom13.jpg

It might just be the U3 in another form factor, but it's sweet anyway.
But the iAudios uses old sigmatel chips, the samsung uses the next generation, so I would like the iAudios to get the new ones aswell. Also I read sometime that the philips chips in for example old iRiver IFP-series was better than the sigmatels in the iAudios. So are the iAudio as good as people says and in that case "why" if the chips aren't that good?

The U3 uses telechips thought.

The Zen V plus seemed ****, crappy video playback, requires special software, only 15h battery life. So yeah, can just aswell get an iPod.

Is the price of sandisk vs ipod nano almost the same? Nanons battery life is fixed, how is the new audio quality? Still lacks radio thought.

You don't think the samsung is better than the nano? It's the most expensive thought, but I think it does ogg, radio and ums nowadays, speced 38h battery life aswell.

Sep 26, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

But the iAudios uses old sigmatel chips, the samsung uses the next generation, so I would like the iAudios to get the new ones aswell. ...The U3 uses telechips thought.

I think that the firmware still plays a large part in the quality of the player. Consider an iPod with Apple's presets vs Rockbox custom EQ (or so I've heard). If you don't mind digital enhancement iAudio has BBE-licensed effects. I don't know about Samsung. I really don't know how these compare, just spouting some info here.

Sep 26, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #10 of 16
Yeah, but most BBE effects seems to be equalizerlike effects which adds more bass or both bass and treble, so I don't care much about those, there is some which add more harmonic frequencies or whatever thought, maybe that one is worth something.

Battery life on the zen V plus sucked and it requires additional software so let's forget about that one.

With the price cut the sandisk aren't much cheaper than the nanos? And on the new nano you will probably be able to "fix it" by installing rockbox later on.

The yp-z5 is said to have good hardware but i guess the u3/f2 isn't so bad either, but nanos biggest problem with battery life if fixed aswell =P.

I suppose nano is bad if you need wma drm but I couldn't care less, I guess the F2 will be super expensive like all iaudios?

yp-z5, nano or f2?
biggrin.gif

Sonys S2 seemed quite nice aswell, water resistant, 18h battery life, radio, played quite a few formats, 3min charge gives 3h battery life. Still requires sonic stage thought
wink.gif
, very expensive aswell (a little more than the nano.)

Sep 26, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Yeah, but most BBE effects seems to be equalizerlike effects which adds more bass or both bass and treble, so I don't care much about those, there is some which add more harmonic frequencies or whatever thought, maybe that one is worth something.

Mach3Bass obviously boosts bass, but should do it well. BBE is supposed to be for "compensating for phase and amplitude distortions". MPEnhance is supposed to enhance compressed recordings.

Quote:

Battery life on the zen V plus sucked and it requires additional software so let's forget about that one.

G3 gets about 50 hours if you are really concerned with the battery.

Quote:

I suppose nano is bad if you need wma drm but I couldn't care less, I guess the F2 will be super expensive like all iaudios?

G3 2G is $109 on Newegg - not bad I say. Depends on whether you want to pay for a big color screen or not. iAudios only go to 2G, though, in the flash line.

Sep 26, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by bungle
Mach3Bass obviously boosts bass, but should do it well. BBE is supposed to be for "compensating for phase and amplitude distortions". MPEnhance is supposed to enhance compressed recordings.

G3 gets about 50 hours if you are really concerned with the battery.

G3 2G is $109 on Newegg - not bad I say. Depends on whether you want to pay for a big color screen or not. iAudios only go to 2G, though, in the flash line.

Yeah, probably best buy there is then, must cheaper than u2 and iaudio 5 which are both old, cheaper than ifp-799 and more storage space and as good battery life.

To bad it's old =P, would feel better getting a new one =P

Sep 26, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Yeah, probably best buy there is then, must cheaper than u2 and iaudio 5 which are both old, cheaper than ifp-799 and more storage space and as good battery life.

To bad it's old =P, would feel better getting a new one =P

Just depends on what you want out of it. I don't need a fancy screen and like the AA/AAA batteries. Other people like gizmos and fancy lights, so they probably wouldn't like the G3.

Yeah, I'm a little concerned they aren't updating the firmware much for the G3 anymore.

Sep 26, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #14 of 16
Worst part is that those 790 sek (converted from usd) might get 25% added swedish vat and then 64 sek more which makes it 1051 sek, which is still cheap but not supercheap ;/.

1GB iAudio U2 and iRiver IFP-799 cost around 1090 here.

Sep 27, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Worst part is that those 790 sek (converted from usd) might get 25% added swedish vat and then 64 sek more which makes it 1051 sek, which is still cheap but not supercheap ;/.

1GB iAudio U2 and iRiver IFP-799 cost around 1090 here.

Yeah, reading about prices on headphones in other places makes me glad I can buy most of them on Amazon here. Sorry 'bout that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back