Your top three audio related purchases 2015
Dec 19, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #16 of 26
UPDATE This year

1. Sony XDR-P1 portable DAB/FM radio- Jewel like device; beautifully designed and great sound. Old-skool Sony quality. £45

1. Sony SBH60- Very suprisingly good cheap, comfortable and really nice sounding bluetooth phones. £25

1. Chord Mojo- Incredible with certain headphones and music but worth £400? no don't be silly!

Repurchases; all brilliant and here to stay this time

1. Sony NWZ A15 Walkman superb. Don't miss the Mojo too much; match with sensitive phones for audio bliss. £97

1. beyerdynamic))) DT440 (3rd pair !) I keep coming back to these. Uniquely speaker like airy sound. Really nicely balanced and sound great out of anything. £65

1. Yamaha HPH200 Enjoy much more second time around. Warmer alternative to above. Lovely natural tonality & ultra comfortable once worn in. £60

Not so good:
Sony MDR100aap; pretty underwhelming so far. Warm and bassy and a little dull. Typical modern consumer headphone ? Look nice
AKG Y45BT: very un-natural sound not a patch on the SBH60 despite aptX 'advantage'.

From last year only the miniBlink remains & doesn't get a lot of use !

Only the three Sony products (radio, walkman and bluetooth headphones), remain from last year

This years favourites:

Sennheiser HD600
Myryad Z40
amp
Mtryad Z20 Dac

(above is "end game" for me, approx £400 worth)

also another pair of my favourite little headphone; the Jays v-Jays

Dec 19, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #17 of 26
Eddie Current Zana Deux S is falling in love with my Utopia.
Schiit Eitr is making sense of USB audio.
Sennheiser HD650 modifications are clearing out the need for any headphone other than the Utopia I already owned. It makes listening and playing with headphones fun again!

Jan 1, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #20 of 26
Only two purchases this year:

Sony WF-1000W
One of my best audio/ tech purchases ever. Sound stunningly good by any standards. Its the layering, separation and just perfect tonality that blows me away. Along with the convenience of course.

HiFi Walker H2
Little known on here (read reviews on Amazon to see what 'normal people' think) Quality DAP with good DAC and line out which was all I needed for my purposes

Dec 21, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #21 of 26
Only two purchases this year:

Sony WF-1000W
One of my best audio/ tech purchases ever. Sound stunningly good by any standards. Its the layering, separation and just perfect tonality that blows me away. Along with the convenience of course.

HiFi Walker H2
Little known on here (read reviews on Amazon to see what 'normal people' think) Quality DAP with good DAC and line out which was all I needed for my purposes
This year's purchases, all three of them in order of satisfaction :

Grado RS2e
Sennheiser IE80S BT
Graham Slee Bitzie DAC amp

(All on great deals as usual. I'm essentially a tight fisted 'audiophile' / Yorkshireman who loves a bargain).

Dec 26, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #22 of 26

Q Acoustics Concept 20. Possibly the greatest audio bargain of them all. The speaker cabinets simply disappear, leaving an all enveloping flawless stereo sound. The matching stands are essential, the result a piece of visual as well as audio art.

Denon AH D7200.
Wonderfully smooth yet detailed sound with decent isolation as needed. Lovely build and comfort. Best quality bass I've heard.

Another Chord Mojo
Lovely piece of industrial design and great smooth spacious sound. Worth next to nothing within a few months of purchase due to release of Mojo 2. Nice synergy with Grado Rs2e

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #23 of 26
  1. Sylvania 6SN7GT VT-231 "Bad Boy" tube for my Schiit Vali 2 amp
  2. Amperex Holland ECC88 tube, again for my Schiit Vali 2 amp
  3. Jade/FiiO JD7 IEM

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #24 of 26
RME ADI 2FS
Quicksilver Headphone Amplifier
ZMF Stabilised Maple Burl Verite Closed

Dec 3, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #26 of 26
Just the one this year. Audiolab Omnia all-in-one system; top quality CD player, integrated/Pre/power amp, streamer, BT receiver, DAC, phono stage and very good Headphone Amp.

The price they are selling for at the moment (half the orignal £1600) makes a mockery of most DACs and head amps IMO

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back