Your top 5 best recorded albums
Jun 18, 2016 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MattTCG

Headphoneus Supremus
I know that there are similar threads but I typically enjoy these kind of threads and come away finding some great music. Plus there are great recording released regularly so I figure it's time for a refresh. Here are a few criteria:

1. This list is based on sonics only. 

2. Please just submit a typed list without the album art as it just makes it difficult to sort through submissions. Feel free to add a short description about why an album made your list or not. Your choice though. 

3. Any time period and any genre. 

4. Feel free to update your list if you find new recordings. 

I'll get started and kick this off with my current top five.

1. Don Henly: Cass Country 24/96 (can sound a little lean/neutral on bright headphones but overall this is a wonderful recording)

2. J.D. Souther: Natural History (rich and luscious male vocals and some of the best I've heard)

3. Allen Toussaint: The Bright Mississppi (we recently lost this wonderful artist. This is one of his best recorded albums and one of my favs)

4. Alison Krauss: Forget About It (my go to recording when I get new gear. Tone and detail of Ms. Krauss' voice is breathtaking in this one)

5. Anne Bisson: Tales from the Treetops (had to include at least one jazz recording. The richness and bass line in this one is stunning and makes a great demo)

Jun 19, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #2 of 7
Great idea Matt....hopefully I will get some great albums from this...Henley Cass County is now on my to get list.
smile.gif

Not sure these are my top 5...that seems to constantly change....but these are all recorded very well indeed.

1.  Alan Parsons Project - Vulture Culture
2. Joe Bonamassa - Live From Nowhere In Particular.....some of his best live recordings compiled into an album, about 9 years old now, but still a favorite for live recordings
3. Eric Clapton - Complete & also Unplugged album
4. Pink Floyd  - Division Bell
5. Paul & Linda McCartney - Ram

Jun 20, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 7
Should be a fun thread. I'm gonna go ahead and highlight a track from each album

1. Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food: Stay Hungry

2. Nick Drake - Pink Moon: Place To Be

3. Brian Eno: Another Green World: St. Elmo's Fire

4. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue: Flamenco Sketches 

5. Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky: Silence and I

Jun 20, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #5 of 7
We have similar tastes.  In no particular order.

1.  Eric Clapton- Unplugged:  Before You Accuse Me

2.  Alison Krauss-  A Collection:  When You Say Nothing At All

3. Don Henley- Cass County:  A Younger Man

Steely Dan- Two Against Nature:  Cousin Dupree

Donald Fagen- Morph the Cat:  Security Joan

Jun 22, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #6 of 7
I would say there are so many sonically excellent records, just to pick some of my favorites (with no particular order).

1. DJ Shadow: Entroducing.....

2. Wussy: Funeral Dress II 

3. Debarge: In a Special Way

4. Moby: Play

5. Ornette Coleman: Of Human Feelings

Jun 23, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #7 of 7
1. Chris Jones - Roadhouses and Automobiles. Pretty much all the tracks, but especially the title song (Roadhouses and Automobiles) and No Sanctuary Here.
2. Jay McShann - What A Wonderful World. Groove Note!
3. Hugh Laurie - Let Them Talk.
4. Willie Nelson and Wynton Marsalis. They've got two recording, both live and awesome: Here We Go Again and Two Men With The Blues.
5. Diana Krall - Wallflower. What a great album, both content-wise and recording-wise.

I wonder if the word "recording" implies acoustic music as opposed to electronic. I listen to lots and lots electronic music, and want to include one outside the chart, so to speak. Very hard to pick one, but let it be Access to Arasaka - Oppidan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back