Your top 10 mistakes in this hobby?
May 8, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #106 of 241
1) Thinking I could spend enough on a headphone rig to sound better than a good speaker setup

2) Listening to you guys
very_evil_smiley.gif

3) Stating my opinion in the cable forum

4) Breaking my promise to 'never tube-roll'

5) Cheaping out by running a 13' cable across the floor rather than a 30' run through the wall/ceiling (this only pisses off my wife
rolleyes.gif
)

May 9, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #108 of 241
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1
4) Breaking my promise to 'never tube-roll'

I think tuberolling is a healthy practice, using inexpensive tubes.
You can fine-tune the sound to your liking within a reasonable cost.
I also find it to be an extremely good ear training.
I would not spend big bucks on collecting expensive NOS tubes unless I have a tube tester and information on internal structures.
Fakes tubes originating from Asia are all too common nowadays. Fakers actually buy real, old tube paper boxes to go with their fake-ass tubes. There is practically no way to differentiate lightly used from NOS tubes.
Fake NOS tubes are scary.
That being said, selling voodoo audio cables is still more profitable then selling fake NOS tubes, and requires less effort, too, and totally legitimate.

May 9, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #109 of 241
Welly, you got PM, all I can tell you man, is that I really admire you, for this honesty....

May 13, 2006 at 12:21 PM Post #110 of 241
Hey, my first post although I've been lurking for almost a year. This is a great thread. I first got hooked into the iPod craze, then later spent $$$ on my search for a perfect earphone.

I guess I'm hitting head-fi on my downward spiral to stop spending. I learned that if I wanted to buy "extra" equipment, to make sure that I sell my existing equipment first or around the same time. That way the purchase is not extremely huge. I also clean out my closets/house for old things that I don't use/wear (or new things that I've never used/worn). It keeps my surroundings clear and my mind clean. AND if I'm lucky, the new purchase is more of an even swap.

I want to say that there's nothing wrong in spending money. However, as long as you know exactly where your money is going for what reason, you are more aware of your total outcome (no matter what). For instance, I will be purchasing the UE-5c because a custom fit earphone will work with me when I don't use them for months at a time, then want to wear them on a trip. I won't have to worry about fit. I've read a lot of people buy the customs just to say they have the customs. Hey, if you have that type of discretionary income, go ahead. But if you're just walking with the crowd, you may want to re-evaluate your reasons for your purchase.

Great site head-fi!

May 16, 2006 at 10:28 AM Post #111 of 241
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
Power conditioning.
Cables.
Modifications of stock equipment.
Reading high end audio magazines both online and in print.
Spending more money on hi-fi than music.
Online discussion forums.
Upgrading too much too fast too many times.
Spending too much money on hi-fi equipment only to have to sell it because you didn't factor in unexpected emergencies.

Your mistakes are my success.

Mistake #1) Doing K1000 as my first soldering job.
Mistake #2) Buying shielded power cords (like filling ears with mud).
Mistake #3) Reading threads by skeptics and getting brainwashed by them.
Mistake #4) Believing that further upgrades wouldn't make a difference so I bought a projector (Panasonic AE-900) for the money instead of a cable (Nordost Valkyrja for K1000). BIGGEST MISTAKE!

May 16, 2006 at 2:02 PM Post #112 of 241
Some more mistakes I though of,

Buying the 15 foot extension cables from kimber & cable pro with mini to mini connections. They both work ok but I just don't really have a use for them now and they are both ugly. I've since decided that I want both aesthetics and performance in my audio equipment. Not too much to ask imo.

May 16, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #113 of 241
Great thread. I've been following it since Welly Wu first started it and have found some of the answers fascinating and Welly's first post very enlightening. I hope this thread helps people keep things in perspective.

Thinking about my own mistakes:

1) Ignoring music in my life for almost 10 years, and this after it had been so important to me.

2) Downloading files from Napster. In a way this wasn't all bad because this was what got me back into music but it is literally stealing and the sound quality is terrible or at best inconsistent.

3) Thinking compressed MP3s were "CD Quality"

4) Attempting to get audiophile sound from a portable setup. This just resulted in disappointment and frustration and eventually more and more money spent on something that eventually became a home rig masquerading as a portable system. I should have embraced Team Minimalist long ago.

5) Thinking "vintage" portable devices were some kind of magic bullet for good sound.

6) Not finding a headphone I really liked and changing other gear to try and make up for the shortcomings of the headphones.

7) Spending too much time worrying about amps and not sources or headphones.

8) Being penny wise and pound foolish in my audio buying decisions. I created price barriers that I would not cross when buying equipment, yet ended up making multiple purchases because I wasn't happy and in the long run spending more than necessary.

9) Not being satisfied with the gear I have even though it sounds better than 99% of the people on the planet. I've read far too many reviews and posts about equipment that I thought I really wanted not realizing that all audiophile writings are necessarily hyperbole. The differences just aren't that great.

10) Being prejudiced about buying used equipment and not realizing that if purchased from a reputable person it represents a tremendous value.

11) Worrying too much about gear and not concentrating on music. I've found myself reading Head-Fi all to often without my headphones on.

May 22, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #115 of 241
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
I have only mistake I regret since I started this hobby.

1. Not buying the K1000s when you could find em for little more than $500 new.
mad.gif

No mistakes and no regrets -- but along the lines of your note, around the time I joined they were on sale for well under $400, and I was too inexperienced to realize what was going on. That sale ended before I even had a clue what they were. How/why'd they get so expensive in such a short time?!?
eek.gif

May 22, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #117 of 241
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
I am expanding this thread to go beyond the top 10 mistakes that I have made in this hobby. It is now infinity plus one.

11. "Burn in." There is no credible scientific evidence that burn in exists within both the scientific and academic communities. There is no credible scientific analysis and evidence that exists to show through objective and balanced scientific measurements to prove that burn in exists with any and all electronic components whatsoever. However, the human mind and ego are susceptible. Audio manufacturers, including BPT, Cardas, Ray Samuels Audio, Wadia, and Ayre Acoustics, tell their consumers to allow for a specificed number of hours of burn in for their products to perform at their maximum levels. In turn, audio dealers remind their customers of that. It is all hogwash. They simply do not want you to request a refund or exchange for your purchase because doing so will hurt their bottom line and it is a major inconvenience for them to grant your request. After all, they have other people to scam. Burn in is perpetuated on this forum and it must stop. Not simply because I find it to be annoying, but the truth of the matter is that when you create a new thread about a new product, nine out of ten chances are that you have bought a product without an audition. C'mon, be honest. I have done it and so too have you my dear reader. You are simply writing about your honeymoon phase with the new toy because you don't know it well because you did not get to hear it in your reference system beforehand. So, tell the truth by telling us your feelings and opinions, but don't use the words burn in because you and I know there is no concrete scientific proof that it exists. But, your feelings and opinions are real and they are valid (to a certain degree; after all, my opinion about my equipment constitutes the final word since no one else has ever heard it).

Best post I've ever read at Head-Fi. Hands down.

May 22, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #118 of 241
A few that would top my list (in no particular order):

1. Not knowing your limit. You have to know how much you can spend before making any system plans. Try everything first together in the exact set-up before you buy and make sure you like it or swap an amp,source, can or cable before you commit to anything and end up having to pawn it on BST and losing 10% of what you paid in the process.

2. Don't be intimidated by others. Yes, some people do have 12 000$ Orpheus systems. Get over it. Most people don't have 12 grand to spend on headphones and the like. Find the best possible set-up for you (within budget) and stick to it.

3. Don't always go for the biggest and best when they come out. There is such a thing as impulse. Maybe you bought E5cs just before the E500s were announced. If you like the E5cs though you don't necissarily need to upgrade. The double the price doesn't mean double the performance, and that may be 200-250$ that is better spent on something else (like an amp
tongue.gif
).

4. Don't take people's advice only before buying anything. Try to make an effort to try them yourself. Find a store or meet near you with what you try and make sure you like it. Impressions are good, but when putting down a wad of cash for cans you most likely can't return, it's best to be 100% sure.

5. In the end it's not about if your system is a 1000$ GS-1000 or a 10$ KSC-75. Find what works for you and stick with it. The best can or source or amp may not be the best for you.

6. It's easy to get caught up in the equipment. Remember: it all boils down to the music! Buy, listen and enjoy.

Cheers.

May 22, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #119 of 241
good stuff, im glad i read this thread as i have jsut barely got my toes wet in this hobby. I will keep these things in the back of my head.
580smile.gif

May 22, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #120 of 241
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
A few that would top my list (in no particular order):

1. Not knowing your limit. You have to know how much you can spend before making any system plans. Try everything first together in the exact set-up before you buy and make sure you like it or swap an amp,source, can or cable before you commit to anything and end up having to pawn it on BST and losing 10% of what you paid in the process.

2. Don't be intimidated by others. Yes, some people do have 12 000$ Orpheus systems. Get over it. Most people don't have 12 grand to spend on headphones and the like. Find the best possible set-up for you (within budget) and stick to it.

3. Don't always go for the biggest and best when they come out. There is such a thing as impulse. Maybe you bought E5cs just before the E500s were announced. If you like the E5cs though you don't necissarily need to upgrade. The double the price doesn't mean double the performance, and that may be 200-250$ that is better spent on something else (like an amp
tongue.gif
).

4. Don't take people's advice only before buying anything. Try to make an effort to try them yourself. Find a store or meet near you with what you try and make sure you like it. Impressions are good, but when putting down a wad of cash for cans you most likely can't return, it's best to be 100% sure.

5. In the end it's not about if your system is a 1000$ GS-1000 or a 10$ KSC-75. Find what works for you and stick with it. The best can or source or amp may not be the best for you.

6. It's easy to get caught up in the equipment. Remember: it all boils down to the music! Buy, listen and enjoy.

Cheers.

I think the utmost important thing I can say i'm about to do and I think is intelligent is finding a setup I like, and sticking to it, even if I find something that looks interesting. I am going to get a zhalou dac hopefully, and build some amp, get a cheapo sacd/dvd-a player and some interconnects and be done with this hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back