Your thoughts, vote now: RE0, Eterna, HJE900, Cyclone PR1 Pro
Feb 28, 2010 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

SilverCans

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for a somewhat affordable IEM that has the following characteristics:

1. Does not sound bloated (i.e overly boomy and/or rolled off highs)
2. Has very good to great detail in the highs
3. Mids that are not recessed but not too forward or honky sounding
3. Tight punchy bass. I'd take less quantity if the quality was great, however, I do prefer the tight punchy bass you can feel
4. wide and deep soundstage a definite plus

Please vote on the IEM you feel matches the characteristics above. If you choose "other" please post what it is and why. Please do not comment on ones you did not hear.

Feb 28, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #2 of 10
I haven't heard any of your other options but it seems that the RE0 would suit you well. They seem to fit your characteristics overall. The bass quantity might seem a little light to some but it's punchy and the quality is great. You can also improve the bass with amping. The RE0 need amping to sound at their best but they definetly don't need one to sound great. I use them along my clip and they sound great. For $90 including worldwide shipping, they're the best IEMs under $100.

Feb 28, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 10
I dont think you will find anybody that owns or have heard all 4, so this is once again gonna be a meaningless poll, eveybody voting for the one he owns...
I personally own pr1pro, eterna, and wil soon finally get HJE900 in a couple days.
So far i can say pr1pro looks more like your description. Eterna has great mids but the bass is poorly layered and kind of mashed up (not much sub-bass and a midbass hump), also its generally upfront sound yields a soundstage that is too narrow and "in the head" (or intimate) sounding to my ears, especially compared to pr1pro and hippo VBs which are both airy, uncompressed souding IEMs.
Based on what i've read, RE0 do not seem to have the spacious sounding soundstage you'Re after, and many seem to find its bass lacking punch when unamped. But its getting universal praise for its unmatched (in the price range) highly detailed and refined highs. Although some who have heard both HJE900 and RE0 seem to favor HJE900 http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/p...2/#post6174223. Also, several headfier favor the pr1pro over RE0 for its improved soundstage and bass compared to the latter, although they reckon RE0 still beats it in overall detail and treble extension.

EDIT: I didnt vote since i havent heard all 4. And i bet neither have those who have voted so far. Like I said, the poll's result is most likely going to be worthless.

Feb 28, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Does not sound bloated (i.e overly boomy and/or rolled off highs)
2. Has very good to great detail in the highs
3. Mids that are not recessed but not too forward or honky sounding
3. Tight punchy bass. I'd take less quantity if the quality was great, however, I do prefer the tight punchy bass you can feel
4. wide and deep soundstage a definite plus

I've only heard the RE0, HJE900, and PR1 Pro. Though the Panasonics and RE0 are both in a higher price tier than the Cyclones and generally offer more detail, refinement, etc., they don't cover all the bases. For the last two requirements you list there the PR1 really wins out, with the HJE900 coming in a close second and the RE0 - third.

Feb 28, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 10
Are those characteristics listed in order of importance? If so, the pannies may win out

I voted HJE900 because that's what I own, and it does seem to fit your requirements well along with the PR1 Pro. Soundstage can be altered a good deal by trying out a few different tips, I find, though it's a more deep, and vertical, and open feeling than wide, though keep in mind im coming from full-size(when I say open I mean it doesn't feel like you're listening to hollow closed headphones). This has both the quantity and quality of bass, very good or great details in the highs. The bass is almost perfect for me(you really need to try out different tips and wait for burn-in to make a proper assessment of this), and I don't know how the PR1 compares in that area. If you want more bass without killing the treble, get some sony hybrids. If you're crazy and want even more bass, stuff the hybrids with complies lol. I would assume the PR1 has the widest soundstage and at least comparable bass as those are usually commended for that.

I'm obviously biased, but keep in mind the pannies will probably be the most durable of all those headphones with the detachable cables, user replaceable cables, and the Cubic Zirconium housings. They are also the prettiest, being both eye-catching without being blingy, from what I can judge of the others based on online pictures. On the other hand, the panasonics are the most expensive in that list, with the cyclones being harder to find, but also a lot cheaper.

Best of luck with your choices!

Feb 28, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #7 of 10
Err.. I think you need to expand your options. Don't forget that buying a PR1 Pro is probably out of the question, as its discontinued, and I don't think you'll find anyone who's willing to give up theirs
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #8 of 10
The list I posted was in not in order of importance, rather just qualities I'm looking for.

I think I found a supplier of the Cyclones but now that you mention it, I'm concerned that maybe they are fake? Hmm...

Feb 28, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The list I posted was in not in order of importance, rather just qualities I'm looking for.

I think I found a supplier of the Cyclones but now that you mention it, I'm concerned that maybe they are fake? Hmm...

If you're referring to Gyratech they're the real deal though costs come out closer to $60 after shipping charges.

Also, daouda has a point, though I voted for the Cyclones since I figured having heard 3/4 makes me at least partially qualified and they were getting no love.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daouda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: I didnt vote since i havent heard all 4. And i bet neither have those who have voted so far. Like I said, the poll's result is most likely going to be worthless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back