Your thoughts on DSD today, late 2015. (POLL)
Sep 10, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #16 of 33
  I appreciated the sound of the few DSD titles I listened to on a friends system. However, they are just too large to be practical for me. I just had to upgrade from 2TB drives to 4TB drives and a large library of DSD files would mandate the expenditure of substantial funds just for storage. Am I wrong about this?

Raw DSD64 needs 4x the space of Redbook (64x the sample rate but 1/16 the bits). I'd imagine compression algorithms (like DST) for DSD get you about the same space reduction as FLAC/ALAC for Redbook, so you're still going to need 4x the space comparing compressed to compressed. That's for stereo DSD, of course.

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #17 of 33

Raw DSD64 needs 4x the space of Redbook (64x the sample rate but 1/16 the bits). I'd imagine compression algorithms (like DST) for DSD get you about the same space reduction as FLAC/ALAC for Redbook, so you're still going to need 4x the space comparing compressed to compressed. That's for stereo DSD, of course.

Since my music is in ALAC, are you saying that a DSD64 file compressed in a lossless way will be about 4x the size as the rebook version?  If this is the case then, I think I have to sacrifice a bit with sound quality to keep a manageable library of music. And how about the other versions of DSD?

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #18 of 33

Since my music is in ALAC, are you saying that a DSD64 file compressed in a lossless way will be about 4x the size as the rebook version?  If this is the case then, I think I have to sacrifice a bit with sound quality to keep a manageable library of music. And how about the other versions of DSD?

Yeah, if you compare apples to apples (compressed-to-compressed or uncompressed-to-uncompressed), you're looking at 4x the space for DSD. A solution for disk space, if you're worried about keeping some of the ultrasonic content of the DSD, would be to convert the DSD to PCM 24/96, and then convert that into ALAC/FLAC.

Sep 13, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #19 of 33
I saw having the support as a optional feature which can be useful if i decided to go down that route partly.It didn't have to had it, it just did. It wasn't the reason why I bought this Gustard X12 for any how, I  bought it for it performance for it price and it connections. I won't care about DSD until there is electronic music that is native and not unmixed in DSD. I wont be making a DSD collection not even with the current Jazz,or current classic music in the format.

Sep 14, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #22 of 33

LOL... to me, DSD is DOA....

And Mike of Schiit says something to the effect that all it deserves is some obscure corner of an audio museum.

It is nice to see members of the audio trade not flocking to grab hold of everything that they can possibly add to the spec, whether it is a genuine advancement or just a fad. Good for you!

Sep 18, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #24 of 33
I've accumulated a large library of FLAC files myself which I love but I've also been impressed with some DSD files I've experimented with. But larger than FLAC files + the lack of available titles = just a phase for me.

Sep 25, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #26 of 33
Jul 13, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #28 of 33
The only thing I have come to despise DSD for is the fact that most tracks take up 150+mb of space on my hard drive. Sure I could upgrade, but I don't see the need to. I'd much rather have FLAC files than DSD ones. 

Jul 13, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #29 of 33
I wish Sony didn't make it such a pain in the ass. I hate how it can't be easily ripped even if I own an SACD. With blu ray's, I can easily rip the audio and I get my high res audio. With SACD's, the only way is if you have an old PS3 with an old firmware. and I heard the process is not really for beginners. 

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #30 of 33
  I wish Sony didn't make it such a pain in the ass. I hate how it can't be easily ripped even if I own an SACD. With blu ray's, I can easily rip the audio and I get my high res audio. With SACD's, the only way is if you have an old PS3 with an old firmware. and I heard the process is not really for beginners. 

Companies like Sony don't want you to rip your blu-rays. They were pretty ticked that us pleebs figured out how to rip our CDs and turn them into MP3s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back