Your thoughts on 100% Non-Smoking Hotels?....
Feb 14, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #16 of 39
Seems like a reasonable approach for Customer Service. Gotta diferentiate your business in some way and this is a smart way.

I prefer business's take the lead and do what they think best instead of legislating bans. So more power to you.

Mitch

Feb 14, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #18 of 39
I don't think I'd have a problem if rooms stayed smoking or non-smoking, but I've been to at least two hotels where they make non-non-smoking rooms temporarily smoke-free because of over-booking, etc. They spray some cleaner and run an ionic machine for a bit. Everything this great for the first few hours until the smoke smell comes back with a vengeance. I'd rather it smelled like **** to begin with so I could reject the room.

Part of the problem is if you're in a hotel you're likely to have less clothes with you than normal, so you try to "extend" the in between washings more than you likely would at home. Throwing smoke into the equation just screws that up further. Then add the price of a room, and I think it's justified to expect close to home comfort. In a few enlightened states you can now eat and drink without smoke if you want to avoid it. Why get it when you walk back to your room? Again this is based on the above scenario.

Feb 14, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #19 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think everything about cigarette smoke is filthy, I'm just too terrified to quit.
frown.gif

How come?

Feb 14, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #20 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by iq160plus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not attacking any smokers with this question, but can you really prevent someone from smoking in the rooms? I imagine that if all rooms are full, there are a few smokers among them.

I always thought there was some some detection devices in rooms, I am not about to break any rules of course or set any alarms off..

When I was in my first night of my Vegas stay at the Mirage I heard an alarm go off. Every room in the hotel has a P.A. speaker so when some drunk moron decides to light up in a Elevator everyone gets the alarm..well that's what happened my first night. I would normally be a bit upset but I was half in the bag and thinking the world was coming to a end..so I was thinking i guess you can say "outside the box". I woke up the next mourning had my mourning coffee and then started drinking again..
so after the third "jungle Juice" I had in me I thought of the greatest thought in the world (well to me at the time was..) which was "if the world would of come to an end I would of Died with a Tissot on my wrist."..
later that day I bought a Raymond Weil, preparing for the world's end any night in the future..

oh man was i off my rocker..love it! wait what am I talking about again..forget it...

Feb 14, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #21 of 39
I don't mind staying at a hotel with smoking rooms, so long as I don't have to stay IN one and so long as the hotel in general doesn't smell smoky (lobby, elevators, hallways, restaurant).

If I walk into a hotel that's 100% nonsmoking, that's fine. I don't smoke. If it's not 100% nonsmoking, that's fine too so long as I can get a room that hasn't been smoked in. If they tell me they only have smoking rooms, I get back in my car and drive somewhere else unless I'm desperate.

Feb 14, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #22 of 39
Most hotels I have stayed or been at lately, usually have "smoking" rooms, on one floor only

So in other words, if its a 6 or 10 floor building, the 5th lets say, is the smoking level.
Your still only allowed to smoke "IN" your room only, which is how it should be.

I'm a non-smoker, but I think if you can walk down to the local AM-PM or 7-11, and buy a pack of smokes, you should be able to smoke them anywhere you please until you enter someone else's property or ownership. Which then they have the final say

Feb 14, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #24 of 39
I avoid doing any business with smoke free hotels even when I'm staying in a non smoking room.

Feb 14, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #25 of 39
I don't really care, being a non-smoker, but unless smoking is outlawed the smokers ought to have ready access to a hotel if they need it.

Feb 14, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #26 of 39
It depends upon where you plan on implementing this. I live in a major city, with one of the most polluted skies of all the major cities in the United States, so smoking doesn't bother me. Furthermore, the damage to my health caused by one smoker's ciggarette will not make any difference on top of all the exhaust fumes from dirty taxi cabs I get a whiff of every morning before I pick up my coffee.

This is why I find NYC's no-smoking ban on every building a little ironic.

The only reason I could see this plan being reasonable is so that the hotel can avoid any costs and opportunity costs (potential customers, etc.) of having that awful smoke smell all over an otherwise totally clean hotel. A hotel does not have to be respective of other peoples' "rights", as they most likely do not get any funding from the government, so there is definitely no legal problem with this movement. I believe, though, that this idea may end up making you lose more customers than gain, because there aren't a whole lot fewer smokers out there than there were five years ago.

Feb 14, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How come?

Good question. I quit drinking almost two years ago in AA, and was able to handle that. However, just the thought of quitting smoking makes a fear inside of me well up. Its when I think about, say, when I'm sitting around the house, and I get that urge for a smoke, and nothing makes it feel right except stepping outside and taking a puff. The urge is unbelievable, the addiction insatiable. The cigarettes I have come to seriously dislike is that first cigarette in the morning. I never enjoy it, it always makes me feel crappy. But once I get that thick smoky layer over my lungs, for the rest of the day I enjoy every one of them.

I know, I know, the bottom line here is QQ, you black lunged sissy boy! But I have to be honest with myself, in that quitting smoking will not be an easy thing. I just went to my doctor yesterday for a regular checkup, and she told me about a new quit-smoking drug called Cantrix. Apparently its success rate is twice as high as Zyban (according to Pfizer's own study). You start taking it a week before you quit, and on the quit day you just stop. You can use OTC nicotine aids like the gum, patch, etc. Basically it blocks the nicotine receptors in your brain. I'm not the kind of person who wants to take a pill or some prescription medicine for every ailment: I'm a pretty strict on ibuprofen for pain and alka selzter for colds, and thats it as far as pills go. But to get this monkey on my back, I'm willing to take all the help I can get.

Feb 14, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe, though, that this idea may end up making you lose more customers than gain, because there aren't a whole lot fewer smokers out there than there were five years ago.

California was ahead of NYC in the smoking ban (and has car exhaust problems too
wink.gif
) and the rumored customer dip in restaurants and bars after the ban never materialized. The thing, in fact, I found most interesting about the fight against the ban in NYC, is they used the exact same arguments against in California, and the results were clear in that experiment (but rarely brought up) over years at that point. Not sure why hotels would be different than restaurants or bars in either area.

Feb 14, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #29 of 39
Thanks for diverse replies, this is really helpful to me and my parents.

As far as losing business, yes, that will happen. We are not at 100% occupancy daily, so this will hurt on slow days. However, it seems that on busy days (weekends, special events), the smoking rooms are the last to go. It seems to be a toss up really.

We are also making a lot of changes this year, and some of those changes include all new bedding items for all rooms. New pillow mattress toppers, 220 thread count sheets, synthetic down pillows (4 on queens, 5 on a king), fleece blankets and duvet bed covers. Brand new curtains are also being put in along with new carpetting. This is another reason we felt that switching to non-smoking will work.

As far as smoking goes, it will not be banned, you would still be allowed to smoke outside, but just no where in the building.

Another thing I forgot to point out is that not only are smoking rooms, well, smokey smelling, you have, what I like to call, "careless smokers". Just like you have those careless people that dont control there kids who seem to run around the halls screaming late at night, careless smokers (like the man who felt like he should smoke in the halls and lobby), dont have any respect for the hotel. I can't tell you how much furniture, carpet, wall coverings, sheets, bed covers, drapes, even telephones and TV's have been ruined by cigarettes. How? People purposely/carelessly leaving lit cigarettes where they should not be left (like on top of the TV, or on the bed). I am really surprised that we haven't had a fire.

Its really fustrating at times, but there are many customers that are frustrating, not just smokers, so please, do not take this as slander against smokers.

I have a meeting with the manager of the newest hotel in town, its all non smoking. Hopefully I can get more insight on this.

Thanks again to all, its always nice to see a thread not lead into a worthless battle of nonsense.

Feb 14, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd love a 100% smoke-free hotel. I hate smoking, and avoid it when/wherever possible. I'd be willing to pay slightly more or have a slightly less nice room at the same price, to be in a smoke-free hotel.

Same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back