Your source setup? How to get the best/most SQ from your source?
Jun 28, 2010 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

BlackSushi222

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, so I've been around the forums primarily looking for advice on great headphones. Now that that's over I came to notice a big factor in affecting SQ, which is the source.

I myself only have an Ipod Touch 3G (8GB) and I plug the headphones in the jack and ready to go.

But now I have been noticing people with these "techy" setups like what I think is an amp strapped to the source and a bunch of cables and lights going on.

What are these extra devices? What do you need to get the best SQ out of your Ipod? Just an amp? Or is there more?

I also saw some guy having some device plugged in where the connection plug to usb goes into the computer but it's connected to an amp I think, what does that do? @_@

Jun 28, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 13
The setups you have been seeing are most likely iMods (cannot be done on ipod touch):

http://redwineaudio.com/products/imod

With an amplifier. I personally love mine to bits.

I use a DIY version, instructions are available on this forum.

RWA will tell you that the advantages of the imod include:

Quote:
  1. Tighter, more articulate bass (not necessarily more bass quantity… but much improved bass control and definition)
  2. A richer, more seductive midrange
  3. A less flat and more expansive imaging (the soundstage needs to open up and become more 3D… more wide, more deep, and with a better sense of height in recordings that offer this level of resolution).
  4. Improved transients/dynamics
  5. More detail retrieval and overall transparency
  6. Superior treble extension and sweetness, as well as better decay of long held notes and delicate harmonics

Personally I find that to be a little bit wanky, but I do agree that the decay, dynamics, and stereo imaging have definitely improved. I also found compared to my 3GS, there was deeper bass, with more quantity. 

Everyones mileage will vary. 

Someone else should be able to inform you more about the advantages of the second item you asked about, possibly a USB DAC. 

Jun 29, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #3 of 13
Ah yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about :D.

Looks very techy, yet still portable.

Yeah, I have read up that this one plug is suppose to give the Ipod a "cleaner" sound output. Has anyone confirmed this?

Jun 29, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #4 of 13
The line out dock cables can be used with any ipod or iphone; granted the cable was made to work with that specific iPod (cables can work with multiple models too). People use a LoD to get a cleaner signal out of the ipod that, to be frank, just sounds better than the HO of the ipod itself. 

As Jensy stated, you can purchase an iMod or send your ipod classic in (only certain versions) to be iModded for you. With an iMod, you're actually bypassing the internal audio amplifier of the ipod; with regular ipods and iphones you're not completely bypassing that amp. 

With both however, you're going to get a better sound that's cleaner and more "powerful" than the HO. You have to hook that LoD cable up to a portable amplifier which can range from 20 bucks (e5) to 500 (iQube). The gap in between is very large and the quality of the amps at that price varies greatly as well.

However, it really depends on how resolving your headphones are as well as how good your source files are if making the purchase of the LoD cable and amp would be worthwhile; some IEMs don't really benefit from amplication and alas, you would be wasting your money (IMO of course). 

I see that the phones you are getting are the Equation RP-21s; pretty good phones. I had a pair last year and loved them coming from Senn 555s. 

If you have any more questions feel free to ask :) I'd be happy to recommend some ampsl/LoDs for you if you want; no problem here :)

Jun 29, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #5 of 13
Thx for the information info Young Spade, pleasure getting advice from you again :D.

Now that you have told me all of this, do you personally think it is worth it to get an LoD + amp to power the Equation Audio RP-21? Was there any noticeable difference?

Can you also simply use an LoD without an amp, and there would be a difference? Vice versa?

Thx.

Jun 29, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #6 of 13
An LOD is just a means to connect a player to an amp. Think of it as an unadulterated analog audio signal, which must then be passed through an amp to get any sound. You can also just use a 3.5mm-3.5mm cable to go from a headphone jack to the amp, but this isn't the ideal choice, because the headphone jack is already amping the sound. I can't explain it exactly, but if you read around, you'll come across posts discussing the differences between line-out and headphone-out. 

In short, no you cannot use an LOD without an amp of some sort.

Jun 29, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
Thx for the information info Young Spade, pleasure getting advice from you again :D.

Now that you have told me all of this, do you personally think it is worth it to get an LoD + amp to power the Equation Audio RP-21? Was there any noticeable difference?

Can you also simply use an LoD without an amp, and there would be a difference? Vice versa?

Thx.

No problem man, that's what I'm here for. 
However the LoD and amp? It would give a slight increase in sound; if you wanted to do that I would say to spend no more than 100 on the amp (iBasso T3 would do the trick) and a cheap LoD. IMO The differences in LoDs themselves make the smallest difference; you can get copper, solid silver, silver plated copper, gold/copper etc...

And if you use the LoD without an amp (as I've tried when I first got it) the sound is going to be incredibly loud and impossible to listen to. You need the amp to regulate volume control. 

Jun 29, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
No problem man, that's what I'm here for. 
However the LoD and amp? It would give a slight increase in sound; if you wanted to do that I would say to spend no more than 100 on the amp (iBasso T3 would do the trick) and a cheap LoD. IMO The differences in LoDs themselves make the smallest difference; you can get copper, solid silver, silver plated copper, gold/copper etc...

And if you use the LoD without an amp (as I've tried when I first got it) the sound is going to be incredibly loud and impossible to listen to. You need the amp to regulate volume control. 

Ah alright, understood! So LoDs always need to combo with an amp, gotcha!

So from reading a bit more the end product sound would vary between headphones. For the RP-21s, there would only be a increase in sound? Are any frequencies increased?

Jun 29, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
Ah alright, understood! So LoDs always need to combo with an amp, gotcha!

So from reading a bit more the end product sound would vary between headphones. For the RP-21s, there would only be a increase in sound? Are any frequencies increased?

It doesn't really boost specific frequencies, more like gives a "cleaner" sound. However I'm going to say that you might get more detail and a better bass response. 

Jun 30, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
It doesn't really boost specific frequencies, more like gives a "cleaner" sound. However I'm going to say that you might get more detail and a better bass response. 

Alright gotcha! I actually received my RP-21 just now! I'm gunna test em and maybe open a topic on my impressions. I guess I'll see if I need an amp then :). Thx for everythin Young Spade, my Floridian friend :).

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #11 of 13
AMPs connected via LOD gives more power to music and increase soundstage if right cable use like silver cables provide more highend details without increase in power, soundstage, bass and midrange. But Cryo gives much more power, increase in soundstage, better midrange and fuller bass. So cables are more important with source like ipod, S-flo2, X1061 for line out use.

Jun 30, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #12 of 13
Thx for the information! I look into this more later since right now amps + LODs are a bit pricey for me atm.

Jun 30, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
AMPs connected via LOD gives more power to music and increase soundstage if right cable use like silver cables provide more highend details without increase in power, soundstage, bass and midrange. But Cryo gives much more power, increase in soundstage, better midrange and fuller bass. So cables are more important with source like ipod, S-flo2, X1061 for line out use.

Oh btw, what would a LoD + Fiio e5 do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back