Your Soundcard History
Nov 23, 2004 at 5:47 PM Post #32 of 48
now i might have missed someone, but there isn't a single person in this thread that has NOT owned a creative labs sound card (EMU cards excluded).
i think that anyone that got interested in computers in the 80s or 90s didn't have much of a choice if they wanted sound to eminate from their computer.
eggosmile.gif

Nov 23, 2004 at 6:03 PM Post #33 of 48
SB ISA
SB 16 Vibra
SB Live
SB Audigy
M-Audio Revo 7.1 (main pc, sometimes I use the DACs in Denon DMD-1000 just for kicks)
Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro (returned because it didn't work with my laptop)
M-Audio Sonica Theater (linux laptop, but it has some issues... clicking noises)

Where do I go from here? Nowhere for quite some time. When I in 6-12 months time decide to upgrade my Intel motherboard I'll probably start looking for a PCI-E alternative, or maybe I'll be content with the on-board Intel HD audio?

Nov 23, 2004 at 9:04 PM Post #34 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by kalzone
now i might have missed someone, but there isn't a single person in this thread that has NOT owned a creative labs sound card (EMU cards excluded).
i think that anyone that got interested in computers in the 80s or 90s didn't have much of a choice if they wanted sound to eminate from their computer.
eggosmile.gif

Me, me!
biggrin.gif
I feel glad to never have been cursed with a true creative card.

Nov 23, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #35 of 48
EMU are creative
tongue.gif

Anyway....

1. Unknown SB 16 Compatible ISA soundcard
2. Soundblaster AWE 64
3. Soundblaster Live!
4. Videologic Sonicfury (known in the USA as Turtle Beach Santa Cruz)
5. Terratec EWX 24/96
6. E-MU 0404

The latter two are clearly better than all the rest sound quality wise. The E-MU 0404 is astonishing for its cost
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2004 at 9:31 PM Post #36 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by kalzone
eggosmile.gif

mee too don't you see? I'm obviously proud of me and nobody will be telling me E-MU is Creative
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 23, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #37 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Me, me!
biggrin.gif
I feel glad to never have been cursed with a true creative card.

Me as well I've always used external cdps and I've never replaced stock integrated audio. Although soon I'm getting a modded emu 1212m from another head-fier to see how it compares to a rotel rcd-991ae. The winner will stay and the loser will go, can't wait.
biggrin.gif

Nov 24, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #38 of 48
I owned a SB16 because that's all games worked with back in the day... until I slotted the Gravis into my next computer... but then it worked like poop with windows95, and I had to get a SB16 for that computer too. I forget why I got the SBlive... probably because it was real cheap. I swore to never buy annother creative labs product after what they did to Aureal*, and only got the EMU because it wasn't REALLY creative... only sorta, plus desire for better sound quality won out.

*Aureal produced, in the Vortex 2 chip, a superior product to creative in almost every regard, despite being a vastly smaller company. Creative decided that instead of upping the ante with a better part, they would just sue Aureal for copyright and patent infringement, despite there being clear evidence to the contrary. That was also the decision of the judge in the case, that there was no copyright or patent infringement. However, the legal burnded of defending themselves was too great for the small Aureal, and they were forced to file for bankruptcy. They were promptly bought, for pennys on the dollar, by Creative Labs, who then proceeded to do absolutlely nothing with the technology they had aquired.

Nov 24, 2004 at 1:39 AM Post #39 of 48
SB16 ISA (in grandma's PC)
SB AWE64 (dead)
SB Live! (sold on eBay)
Aureal Vortex 2 (sold system)
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz (sold on eBay)
M-Audio Revo 7.1 (in buddy's system)
Chaintech AV-710 (in ex-fiance's system)
M-Audio Transit (portable usage; currently connected to my girlfriend's laptop)
Terratec DMX 6Fire LT (in office machine)
RME DIGI 96/8 PAD (in home workstation)
E-MU 1212M (in gaming machine)

Nov 24, 2004 at 6:01 AM Post #40 of 48
Soundcards are something I don't often upgrade...

The Old Boys' Club (an 8088, AT, 286, 386DX): onboard PC speakers.
Franenstein (c1996): Something from Diamond. I'm too tired to open it up and look.
TuxBox0: Whatever Intel put on the D845PESV
TuxBox1: Don't know; haven't taken possession of the mobo yet. Something onboard to compliment two older Xeons.
Old Compaq, since given to parents: SB Live! 5.1
Grossly overclocked gaming tower: Audigy2, likely to receive am E-MU 0404 or 1212M soon
Dusk&Dawn HTPC: nForce2 SoundStorm

Nov 24, 2004 at 8:27 AM Post #41 of 48
SB AWE32: in my 1st PC 8 years ago
TB Montego: in 2nd PC 6 years ago
TB Santa Cruz: in 3rd and current PC I built for myself
Maudio Revo: Meant to replace the TBSC for music playback; returned 1 week later
RME 96/8 PAD: Meant as the main source for my Heaphone rig, but it was not to be. Quickly replaced by a DVD player and then sold.
Integrated SoundMAX audio: On my PC at work; RUN from these things. By far the worst audio source I have ever heard. I use a Sony D-11 Discman at work now.

Today: No soundcards are in my main headphone rig, and I have no plans to include any in the future. I am considering a soundcard for a work rig, but it would likely be used as a transport for a DAC. I use the TBSC for a few PC games; that's about all I use soundcards for now.

Nov 25, 2004 at 3:37 AM Post #42 of 48
Creative SoundBlaster PRO (w/1x CD-rom!)
MediaVision ProAudio Spectrum w/Narrow SCSI and a 2x SCSI CDROM! wow!
SoundBlaster AWE 64 Gold (i actually liked this card, meh)
EMU Ensonic AudioPCI
Creative SoundBlaster Live! Value (god help me this is the biggest piece of crap ever and absolutely hates my Tyan S2462 motherboard)
M-Audio Sonica (Analog Out w/Cerafine cap mod)
M-Audio Sonics (Optical Out w/Behringer DEQ2496 EQ/DAC)

Nov 25, 2004 at 3:52 AM Post #43 of 48
2000 - Realtek Sound Card/Modem using Conexant Audio drivers
2002 - Creative Vibra 128
2003 - Realtek ALC650
2004 - Creative Audigy LS
(coming soon) - Chaintech AV-710

Nov 30, 2004 at 10:13 AM Post #44 of 48
SB16 ISA - Originally from my 486 and transplanted into a K6 later on
Diamond MX300 - Aureal Vortex 2 was awesome for gaming back then
Xitel Storm Platinum - Aureal Vortex 2 for gaming + optical out for my MiniDisc recorder
Audigy Platinum - Again, for gaming
M-Audio Revo 7.1 - Ahhh, music sounds soooo much better, esp. with foobar doing 24/96 upsampling with ASIO and crossfeed
580smile.gif

Nov 30, 2004 at 10:19 AM Post #45 of 48
Soundblaster Pro
Ensoniq Soundscape
Soundblaster AWE32
Soundblaster Live! (still have it, yes, it's craptacular, but my workstation still needs to make bleeps and bloops.)
Soundblaster Audigy 2 (have 2 of them right now)
RME digi96/8 (had 2, one modded one stock)

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back