Your Satellite Radio Pick?
Jun 16, 2005 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Gigabomber

500+ Head-Fier
My stepdad wants to get satellite radio. so he asked me to do some research. Figured i'd cut out the middleman and just ask you folks here
biggrin.gif

So, what is your choice and why?

Thanks a lot,
Gigs

Jun 16, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #2 of 25
My reason for choosing Sirius probably won't help much. Sirius has a station called Jam On which plays jam bands 24 hours a day. Having said that, since getting Sirius I spend as much time on the jazz stations as I do on the jam station.

Jun 16, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
My reason for choosing Sirius probably won't help much. Sirius has a station called Jam On which plays jam bands 24 hours a day. Having said that, since getting Sirius I spend as much time on the jazz stations as I do on the jam station.

XM does that too.. it's called The Music Lab or something like that ... prog/jam bands 24/7

I like to think of XM being directed towards a more diverse and maybe even more mature audience, while Sirius has an abundance of rap/pop/top40 stations (XM has one or two each). I was told XM had more jazz/blues/classical stations, which made my choice easier.

Jun 16, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
XM does that too.. it's called The Music Lab or something like that ... prog/jam bands 24/7

I like to think of XM being directed towards a more diverse and maybe even more mature audience, while Sirius has an abundance of rap/pop/top40 stations (XM has one or two each). I was told XM had more jazz/blues/classical stations, which made my choice easier.

that reminds me, do both have sports broadcasting?

Jun 16, 2005 at 4:54 AM Post #8 of 25
at this point i would go with xm, only because i was delivering some parts to a stereo shop, while waiting for my check i was looking at the stations xm offered and i was impressed but, i havent seen sirius so i dunno atm i would say XM

Jun 16, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #9 of 25
I like to think of XM being directed towards a more diverse and maybe even more mature audience, while Sirius has an abundance of rap/pop/top40 stations (XM has one or two each). I was told XM had more jazz/blues/classical stations, which made my choice easier.[/QUOTE]

Have to agree with the above. I tried out both and stuck with XM as the clearly better choice, in terms of the variety and overall quality of whats offered.
Also, I would view Sirius as a gamble to purchase equipment for, as its future is uncertain. Based on the last numbers I heard, XM is closing in on 5 million subscribers, and Sirius only recently hit 1 million. You do the math!Sirius has also already gone Chapter 11 twice and had to be bailed out once.
I hope for all of our sake that they can stay solvent, since competition betters not only the products available, but helps keep pricing down.

JC

Jun 16, 2005 at 12:01 PM Post #10 of 25
Don't know how much this counts, but I remember back in the day on "The Screen Savers" on G4TV (before it merged with techtv), Patrick (Norton?) did a comparison between the two, and gave the nod to XM overall, but most importantly, gave the nod to XM for sound quality. This has been a year or two, and the gear has (i'm sure) gotten better, so I don't know how it's going now... but having never heard the two, and chiming in anyways, XM is what I would go with.

**BRENT**

Jun 16, 2005 at 12:21 PM Post #11 of 25
xM... bulk buy deals on an already lower per month fee, NASCAR radio on two channels, plenty rock and alternatives, city traffic in cities I visit...more chanels, though less that are advert free...more third party manufacturers...higher power sats...classical and jazz programming is real good...

Jun 16, 2005 at 2:27 PM Post #12 of 25
I have XM and I love it. I have read that XM has better sound than Sirius. My Dish Network account has some Sirius channels included, but I wasn't really that impressed by what the played.

I find XM has more diverse music. Xm also has a special going on where if you buy any XM reciever you get a free Roady2. The Roady2 can be modded to a portable unit like the Delphi MyFi. XM also has several sports stations like MLB and Nascar. They have one Nascar channel that you can listen to driver's conversation while they race.

Jun 16, 2005 at 2:36 PM Post #13 of 25
I've heard both xm and sirius and if there is a difference in sound quality it is negligible. In terms of sports, sirius has NFL and NBA. You can pick which teams announcers you want to hear. So there are two stations for each game. Sirius also carries the NCAA Mens Basketball Tournament. You also can't forget that Howard Stern will be on Sirius in 6 mos.

As I said earlier, I might have ended up with xm if it were not for the jam band station. Now that I've had it for over a year, I've been pretty happy with it.

Jun 16, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfall
Also, I would view Sirius as a gamble to purchase equipment for, as its future is uncertain. Based on the last numbers I heard, XM is closing in on 5 million subscribers, and Sirius only recently hit 1 million. You do the math!Sirius has also already gone Chapter 11 twice and had to be bailed out once. I hope for all of our sake that they can stay solvent, since competition betters not only the products available, but helps keep pricing down. JC

The subscription numbers and solvency issues were all before Sirius signed Howard Stern and got some real industry pros heading up the business side of things. In the last few months, Sirius has experienced a massive spike in subscriptions and skyrocketing stock prices. Mel Karmazin is transforming this station into a true entertainment force to be reckoned with. In 2 years, XM will be to Sirius what Pete Best was to the Beatles.

-Bababooey

Users who are viewing this thread

Back