Your Recommendations On The Best Sports?Performance Car Under $45k For Me?
Jul 23, 2005 at 7:01 AM Post #46 of 80
11infiniti_g35_06-med.jpg

very nice car indid , even if it recall lot of traits of other brands .. seems much a mixture of slk , a4 , with the face of chrysler

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #47 of 80
boodi said:
11infiniti_g35_06-med.jpg

Test drove (and I mean seriously tested) the Infiniti G35 coupe on Friday, and was quite impressed. In fact it had silver finish of the one pictured above. The new tuned suspension/handlign package makes a real difference. I found the ride quality to be exceptional, the handling, very, very good. The transmission and shifter worked flawlessly, and I gave them a very thorough workout. The interior still wont win any awards, but the seats are excellent, almost infinitely adjustable, and fit me well.
The car is a beautiful design, and just the right size. For anywhere close to this price its going to be extremely difficult to even equal, much less surpass. My only surprise/issue is that while certainly a very quick car in terms of acceleration, it simply didnt seem like it had 300hp under the hood. Could have been the way it was geared, but I continually tried to get it to really, really blast off, at varying points in the shift range, and it never did.
Still, given that I can get this with exactly the equipment I want for $35k, this has to be the frontrunning contender for when I eventually do the lease/purchase.

JC

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #48 of 80
Oh, one other concern, and not related to the quality of the car in any way, is that there are only two Infiniti dealerships in the greater, metro Detroit area, and both are a 45-60 minute drive from where I live. Servicing the car could be a real problem.
eek.gif

JC

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:40 PM Post #49 of 80
Well, the G35 is indeed a pretty quick car. Perhaps the power delivery is really linear so there's never a spectacular "we have liftoff" moment. I noticed it comparing my friend's 300ZX TT to his dad's new G35. The Z feels faster, especially when the turbos kick in and it hurls the car forward. The car isn't stock, so it is in fact faster than the G, but it felt waaaay faster, even though the numbers tell a different story.

Some new things going into that Z soon too! anti-roll bars, 12lb. flywheel, 6 puck clutch, Brembo rotors, SS brake lines.

Jul 26, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #50 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfall
Yes, gas prices are insane here, and I would like to know why! Two co-workers just came back from family summer trips, and reported that every state they were in had significantly lower prices than we do in Michigan. One of them drove to Colorado and back, and said gas was much cheaper EVERYWHERE!
Someone needs to look into this...seriously....if it continues for too long, or prices get any higher it could really become a problem. Drive aways at gas stations, and theft of gas are at an all time high, and there could potentially be outbursts of violence directed at the oil companies who are raking in obscene profits at the expense of desperate people. I've already heard some frightening comments made.

JC

What price do you pay?

Jul 26, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #51 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N
What price do you pay?

Far less than you guys in the UK.

For us, it's hard to get used to paying over $2/gallon here. I did some quick research and probably lousy math and, is this right? $7 USD/gallon in the UK?!

Jul 26, 2005 at 6:51 PM Post #52 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12thgear
Far less than you guys in the UK.

For us, it's hard to get used to paying over $2/gallon here. I did some quick research and probably lousy math and, is this right? $7 USD/gallon in the UK?!

Yeah,that's about right.

If you get Super premium it'll be closer to $7.36 USD/gallon

Jul 27, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #53 of 80
I recently saw a link to this in a computer magazine.

Jul 27, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #54 of 80
even the 298 hp g35 coupe only puts down around 240 to the ground stock.

The acceleration is very linear as was mentioned, but your not paying for the fastest car at the price point, but the best over all package. If you wanted just fast, i mean an srt4 will blow that thing away at 14 grand less, also dont forget it's a neon ; ).

Anyhow, also check into the GTO maybe? It's kind of ugyl though.
Hell if i were you, i'd grab that g35 coupe, then when your leady maybe like into the new aps turbo kit or the greddy one. With both you can get the car to around 400+ actual real whp.

Jul 27, 2005 at 8:55 AM Post #55 of 80
GM is good for "leaking" test data for new vehicles before they hit the streets and the word is the new Pontiac Solstice is a serious tool. I talked to some of the track workers at Gingerman and they swear handheld timing of a pre-production Solstice put it's lap times firmly in Lotus Elise/Corvette Z06 territory. In case you did'nt know,the two fastest laps set at gingerman in stock vehicles were knocked off by a 2003 Z06 and an 2005 Elise( in what we call a "timed tie"). GM really went to ground with the Solstice's chassis and I think it's cool that you'll be able to buy a factory car with adjustable coil-overs at all four corners. Let's hope they don't change anything.
rolleyes.gif

This is certainly outside your budget but additional leakage from GM is that the new Z06 might be the very fastest production car ever from 0-60. GM tests put it at 2.9 seconds. I think the trick GM is playing here is that there is no shift required and the new Z06 hits 60mph in first gear. The engine revs enough,makes enough torque,has enough power and the gearing is just perfect for this record-breaking blast. I think they did this just for bragging rights and GM probably is not concerned at all about top speed. Months ago GM allowed leaks from various test tracks,including Road America,Gingerman and even "The Ring" in Germany,that the new Z06 was knocking down all previous track records for a stock vehicle. Again,let's hope they don't change anything. They previously leaked similar info about the CTS-V and decided to detune the car with a software "governor" (easily removed) to protect the fragile rear-end.

Jul 27, 2005 at 5:13 PM Post #56 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
GM is good for "leaking" test data for new vehicles before they hit the streets and the word is the new Pontiac Solstice is a serious tool. I talked to some of the track workers at Gingerman and they swear handheld timing of a pre-production Solstice put it's lap times firmly in Lotus Elise/Corvette Z06 territory. In case you did'nt know,the two fastest laps set at gingerman in stock vehicles were knocked off by a 2003 Z06 and an 2005 Elise( in what we call a "timed tie"). GM really went to ground with the Solstice's chassis and I think it's cool that you'll be able to buy a factory car with adjustable coil-overs at all four corners. Let's hope they don't change anything.
rolleyes.gif

The Solstice is the first modern Pontiac I've seem whose styling I've really liked. The Saturn Sky is just as nice too. Not quite as nice front end, nicer interior; it all balances out. In pictures they certainly look a lot cooler than the new MX-5.

I've become sort of a Miata guy, so the Solstice/Sky are really interesting. My only concern is weight. They're not heavy, but compared to the new Miata, sorry, MX-5, they pack on about another 400lbs. Dynamically, more weight can be a real liability. They don't produce appreciably more power. The extra torque will certainly help though. Too soon to tell. I really look forward to driving them.

As it stands, these GM roadsters look to be the most serious threat to the MX-5 I've seen yet. The styling has nearly universal appeal, the price is right, and like the MX-5, they lack balls out power but look to contain all the right hardware for some really entertaining driving.

I look forward to the all but guaranteed arms race as competition heats up. A Solstice GTP? A Sky Redline? Another Mazdaspeed MX-5?

Quote:

This is certainly outside your budget but additional leakage from GM is that the new Z06 might be the very fastest production car ever from 0-60. GM tests put it at 2.9 seconds. I think the trick GM is playing here is that there is no shift required and the new Z06 hits 60mph in first gear. The engine revs enough,makes enough torque,has enough power and the gearing is just perfect for this record-breaking blast. I think they did this just for bragging rights and GM probably is not concerned at all about top speed. Months ago GM allowed leaks from various test tracks,including Road America,Gingerman and even "The Ring" in Germany,that the new Z06 was knocking down all previous track records for a stock vehicle. Again,let's hope they don't change anything. They previously leaked similar info about the CTS-V and decided to detune the car with a software "governor" (easily removed) to protect the fragile rear-end.

According to the latest Motor Trend, the C6 Z06 turned in a 7'42.99" at the 'Ring. Behind a Carrera GT (7'32"), tied with a 996 GT2, ahead of the Zonda S (7'44"), Murciélago (7'50"), Gallardo (7'52"), and SLR (7'52").

Certainly intriguing. Gone are the days of the "affordable" Z06 though. They're aiming high now.

Jul 27, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #57 of 80
I have bought quite a few cars in the last few years. My advice: buy a low mile used car under warranty. I picked up a C32 AMG w/ 5K miles for my wife for $42K a year ago. I spent the $15K I save upgrading her car to 430 hp, putting new suspension and wheels. When the car was delivered it looked brand new and has been extremely fun for my wife. I did the same with my CLK55 (although I dumped an extra $100K worth of tuning into it) and am looking to do the same with a 550 Maranello.

In any case, I say look at a used S4 or M3. If you are interested in an M3, I have contacts who are professional BMW race drivers, who could hook you up with one at a great price.

Jul 27, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #58 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
I have bought quite a few cars in the last few years. My advice: buy a low mile used car under warranty. I picked up a C32 AMG w/ 5K miles for my wife for $42K a year ago. I spent the $15K I save upgrading her car to 430 hp, putting new suspension and wheels. When the car was delivered it looked brand new and has been extremely fun for my wife. I did the same with my CLK55 (although I dumped an extra $100K worth of tuning into it) and am looking to do the same with a 550 Maranello.

In any case, I say look at a used S4 or M3. If you are interested in an M3, I have contacts who are professional BMW race drivers, who could hook you up with one at a great price.

100 grand into a clk55? Tell us more, i'd like to know. Why would you buy a top tog ferrari then degrade it with modifications. Are you racing them like fred is?

Jul 27, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #59 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
100 grand into a clk55? Tell us more, i'd like to know. Why would you buy a top tog ferrari then degrade it with modifications. Are you racing them like fred is?

CLK is a gutted so it drives nothing like an MB. 700 hp 700 lb/ft torque custom built 6.3 liter supercharged engine. Chromally rollcage. complete custom tranny, wheels, brakes, etc. complete custom interior/exterior, but nothing crazy. Going to use it as a daily driver... I know I'm nuts.

I don't consider upgrading a F car degrading it. I would do a tubi exhaust and tweak the engine for more power w dedicated Ferrari tuners. Again, it would be for driving, not for show.

I'm a hp junkie if you haven't figured that out.

Jul 27, 2005 at 6:27 PM Post #60 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
CLK is a gutted so it drives nothing like an MB. 700 hp 700 lb/ft torque custom built 6.3 liter supercharged engine. Chromally rollcage. complete custom tranny, wheels, brakes, etc. complete custom interior/exterior, but nothing crazy. Going to use it as a daily driver... I know I'm nuts.

I don't consider upgrading a F car degrading it. I would do a tubi exhaust and tweak the engine for more power w dedicated Ferrari tuners. Again, it would be for driving, not for show.

I'm a hp junkie if you haven't figured that out.

That's cool, more power to you, no pun intended... Yet i don't understand why you'd modify a collectable amazing car, but it's not some mustang, its a freaking ferrari, why would you fuss with it?

Beating on that car should be considered a crime man, but hey it's your money. I'd sooner spend it on a saleen s7 and modify that thing, and leave the ferrari alone! ; )

Oh yea, how is that mercedes a daily driver anyhow? Who tuned your car, from what i'm assuming here it was all custom, and doesn't sound the least bit streetable. Also, one more question... why did you do all of that to a clk 55, which is already amg'd out, when you went and custmoized it on your own, isn't that already like 30+ grand you just threw out in the garbage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back