your prefference: phones or speakers?
Mar 10, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #32 of 64
The room factor is a big drawback of speakers, but if you get it right, a speaker based system can produce a sense of realism that even the best headphones systems can't touch.

I've just made a major speaker upgrade and am now in the hunt for amps that will drive them. I'm also adding a vinyl rig for the first time so my guess is that I'll be moving away from being mostly a headphones/digital guy to being a mostly speakers/analog guy.

But my vote in this poll is a firm "I enjoy them equally." (At least for now.)

Mar 10, 2006 at 7:03 AM Post #34 of 64
I know this question is somewhat ambiguous, but how much do you guys think it would cost to get a speaker system that is comprable to lets say a $600 dollar or so headphone system (not including a source). Would you be able to get 5.1 speaker setup, with reciever that could provide the accuracy of a good $600 headphone system? Or, basically are good speakers and components much more expensive than good headphones and headphone componets?

Mar 10, 2006 at 7:06 AM Post #35 of 64
(meant for it to be one post)

The only memorable 5.1 setup i have heard is Bose top of the line lifestyle system (i forget the model number), and that was because they had a demonstration room at my local mall (pretty fun, got to watch part of the lion king) and my old neighbors had one. While I was genuinely impressed, they cost $2500 or so dollars, which could pretty surely buy a pretty sick headphone steup.

Mar 10, 2006 at 7:09 AM Post #36 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silentpug387
I know this question is somewhat ambiguous, but how much do you guys think it would cost to get a speaker system that is comprable to lets say a $600 dollar or so headphone system (not including a source). Would you be able to get 5.1 speaker setup, with reciever that could provide the accuracy of a good $600 headphone system? Or, basically are good speakers and components much more expensive than good headphones and headphone componets?

mm
my opinion is , I think that with 1000$ , lurking the used market , you can be bery well introduced to a very nice speaker setup ( amp + 2 speakers ) , that's worth comparison with any headphone system .

Mar 10, 2006 at 7:10 AM Post #37 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silentpug387
(meant for it to be one post)

The only memorable 5.1 setup i have heard is Bose

oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooo
basshead.gif

:runs away in fear:

Mar 10, 2006 at 7:32 AM Post #38 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
what i am asking is: are heaphones a marriage of convenience, or one of true love?

I'm not sure exactly what the poll is asking, so I didn't vote. I haven't heard a good speaker setup in years, and am basically a headphone guy for life... not sure which I like better sonically since it's been so long. But speakers are just too inconvenient/expensive to me, and I really like headphones a lot.

Obviously most music is mixed with speakers in mind, so it seems to me the point is sort of moot... why even ask?

Mar 10, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #39 of 64
Given the choice, I prefer speakers.

However, here is the list of the things I DON'T have for a speaker rig.

-A dedicated listening room
-The money for a good set-up
-A quiet enviroment
-Neighbors that don't mind me listening to my stereo system

My biggest problem with speakers is the room, because it makes a HUGE difference. At my parents house there's a room that's pretty decent acoustically and in there I can make a 200 dollar set up sound DAMN good; however, anywhere else and the set up is complete garbage.

Mar 10, 2006 at 9:54 AM Post #40 of 64
I voted that I enjoy them equally, but that is largely based on circumstance.

Lacking the cash and room for a great speaker rig gives headphones the edge, but even if I had both of those things, headphones still give an imtimacy that no speaker can reproduce.

I just can't imagine getting the same enjoyment with speakers when listening to something like Sufjan's Seven Swans. But, with music like Oasis, headphones bow down to good speakers.

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #41 of 64
For me it'd have to be speakers, because I auditioned quite a few of the nicer ones (nautilus 800, avantgarde duo...), and I was completely blown away by the sound. I have to admit that I "only" heard Sennheiser 650, 595, and 555 phones, Sony CD3000, and Beyerdynamic DT990 headphones up to now.

A good thing with headphones is that you get definately more quality sound for your money, and you can position yourself in your room the way you want.

Mar 12, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #42 of 64
I think I've come full circle, like many here. I started with some pretty awful speakers and was thrilled when I first started getting into high-end headphones. Then, when I considered myself finally happy with my headphone setup, I started paying attention to speakers again.

Since finding some speakers I'm really happy with for my computer setup (which is the only place I use headphones) I've found that my headphones rarely get used.

Mar 12, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #43 of 64
Here we go again, the same old question.
I can't really answer it because my main system is K1000 plus speakers playing simultaneously--does not fit into simple categories.
k1000smile.gif

Mar 13, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #45 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
That's not true. The room correction technology available today (and which I use) can get you perfection without going too nuts with acoustic treatments. A certain amount of room treatment is always good, but there is no need to build a room completely around acoustics.

Room correction? Room correction can take care of cancelation, constuructive interference, phase differences, group delay, reflected waves, standing waves, etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back