Your personal top 5 favorite albums that you felt should have been popular and aren't/weren't
Apr 16, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #46 of 63
Manchester Orchestra albums, not many people listen to them, yet there's something for everyone. Great musicians.

EDIT: I'm recommending Manchester Orchestra- Nobody Sings Anymore

Tom.

Apr 18, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #47 of 63
Mira-Mira... great female vocals and a very good drummer
Snowden-Anti_Anti
Amish Rake Fight-Fellow Prisoners... Well produced electronic music
Laura Veirs-July Flame... Saw her open for The Decemberists, and I respect that she sounded better live than she did on this album
The Decemberists-The Hazards of Love

Apr 22, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #49 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBs /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oceanlab - Sirens of the Sea

loved this album. Try listening to this album with a nice dac + 5.1 surround sound set-up. You'll feel like you're in another world
smily_headphones1.gif

also, would like to add the work of Celldweller(aka: Klayton) & Blue Stahli; I love tracks that these guys make.

Apr 22, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #50 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"The Nightfly" by Donald Fagen

Luuuvvv this record, but I dunno…I remember it being hugely successful. "I.G.Y." was all over pop radio at the time, and I think Fagen was even nominated for a Grammy. Just $.02…
floatsmile.png

Apr 23, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #51 of 63
A bit off track but applies to the OP...

How about 80's Grateful Dead? So often ignored or looked down upon relative to the 70's or even the earlier stuff. Some truly great shows and great years in there. For me in particular, I have a real soft spot for 1985. Perhaps it is the memory of the Maxell cassettes from back in the day.

Apr 23, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #52 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by David.M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
loved this album. Try listening to this album with a nice dac + 5.1 surround sound set-up. You'll feel like you're in another world
smily_headphones1.gif

also, would like to add the work of Celldweller(aka: Klayton) & Blue Stahli; I love tracks that these guys make.

Yea, Oceanlab is so good. Kept me awake on a long red eye flight drive to Vegas.

I have some Celldweller. I love their music itself but the singer doesn't do it for me. Their instrumental songs are naturally really good for me then XD

Oh, and if you liked Oceanlab, you should give the Aurosonic album from my sig a listen. Similar feel, but different focus.

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #53 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Luuuvvv this record, but I dunno…I remember it being hugely successful. "I.G.Y." was all over pop radio at the time, and I think Fagen was even nominated for a Grammy. Just $.02…
floatsmile.png

Good point, tru blu. I remember thinking that in the back of my head that that one was quite popular, but then I decided that compared to the Steely Dan stuff it wasn't. But I was probably wrong
redface.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #54 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How about 80's Grateful Dead? So often ignored or looked down upon relative to the 70's or even the earlier stuff. Some truly great shows and great years in there. For me in particular, I have a real soft spot for 1985. Perhaps it is the memory of the Maxell cassettes from back in the day.

Impossible for me to answer that question, as I consider 1980's Grateful Dead to be "Just Exactly Perfect"
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #55 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, Oceanlab is so good. Kept me awake on a long red eye flight drive to Vegas.

I have some Celldweller. I love their music itself but the singer doesn't do it for me. Their instrumental songs are naturally really good for me then XD

Oh, and if you liked Oceanlab, you should give the Aurosonic album from my sig a listen. Similar feel, but different focus.

Yeah, i know about Aurosonic. They're very nice, but lack the vocal divineness that Oceanlab are known for
tongue.gif
<3 listening to their instrumental tracks when gaming tho !

btw, have you listened to the Ocean Lab + Above & Beyond remix album that came out in 2009?

simply amazing. I loved that song 'Sky Falls Down' (feat Armin Van Buuren remix)..It's such a masterpiece. If you have the right equipment and cans that produce a good bass response system, you'll feel like you died and went to heaven.

Apr 25, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #56 of 63
I was into alot of underground stuff in the 70's. But one album by a popular group was "Love Beach" by ELP. A poor atempt at pop but the second side "Memoirs of an Officer and a Gentleman" is a great song...check it out.

Apr 25, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #58 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I always thought that the 80s Dead by and large was better than 1977, that most overhyped year of the 1970s. Garcia's guitar playing becomes even better, and he figures out how to make his acoustic playing sound just like as good as his electric, furthermore, even though his voice starts to go, he becomes a better at using what he has. The dead do songs, they do monster space jams and everything in between, although we coulda used a few more Dark Stars! And Brent, unlike Keith, can keep time and sing, although in fairness to keith his casual relationship to beat did give his playing an otherworldy, spacey charm.

But it is only those of us who were there before that ever say that 70s dead is best. As I recall the dead from 87 on became megastars and one of the top grossing acts in the world. The 80% of the fans that existed after 87 clearly thought 80s dead was best
biggrin.gif
. Hard to say it was underappreciated by as evidenced by the teaming hordes that started following us old farts around show to show from that point on...

ok but this is off topic i suppose.

Apr 25, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #59 of 63
1- Warren Zevon's entire catalog
2- Funkadelic's "Maggotbrain"
3- anything by Captain Beyond
4- Lucifer's Friend "Banquet"
5- Rosie Vella's "Zazu"

and a used to be big but mostly forgotten now - Steppenwolf - They had much better songs then "Born to be Wild" would lead you to believe.

Great idea for a thread!

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #60 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by David.M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, i know about Aurosonic. They're very nice, but lack the vocal divineness that Oceanlab are known for
tongue.gif
<3 listening to their instrumental tracks when gaming tho !

btw, have you listened to the Ocean Lab + Above & Beyond remix album that came out in 2009?

simply amazing. I loved that song 'Sky Falls Down' (feat Armin Van Buuren remix)..It's such a masterpiece. If you have the right equipment and cans that produce a good bass response system, you'll feel like you died and went to heaven.

Yep, have that one =D Very good. Oceanlab and Above & Beyond make a really good pairing. If you haven't heard of him, check out Ronski Speed. His album Pure Devotion is really good as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back