Your personal top 5 favorite albums that you felt should have been popular and aren't/weren't
Apr 6, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #16 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Arto Lindsay - Mundo Civilizado. Lindsay was on the NYC noise scene for years before anyone realized he'd grown up in Brazil (a son of American missionaries) and knew samba, bossa nova, frevo, maracatu and the rest like the back of his hand. He made a string of records in the '90s that blended Brazilian sensuality with hard-edged NYC beats. On this (the second) disc, in addition to his own songs, he covers Al Green ("Simply Beautiful") and Prince ("Erotic City"). I've always thought it was one of the best records of the '90s.

Cool! An Arto Lindsay Brazilian Music fan! Now that is something few have heard and what a shame.

BTW Have you heard his stuff with Jun Miyake? Japanese guy playing Brazilian influenced music with Arto. There's even a song or two with Japanese lyrics. The music is terrific...

Apr 7, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #17 of 63
Switchfoot - The Legend of Chin. Phenomenal album. Very different from their other albums, which did become very popular. But this is in a league of its own.

Bad Brains - Black Dots.

Sleater-Kinney - All Hands On the Bad One

Jon Foreman - Fall/Winter/Spring/Summer EPs

Blur - s/t

Apr 7, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #18 of 63
Great topic!

1) Death - Spiritual Healing

Criminally underrated, no one else I know gives this album its due. This marked Chuck Schuldiner's transition from the "been there-done that" gore lyrics of the previous two albums to socially relevant/introspective subjects. Musically it was also a huge step up, the compositions were noticeably more technical and melodic.

2) Morbid Angel - Domination

For a lot of people this marked Morbid Angel's downfall into watered-down, commercial territory. While it was indeed more simplistic in its approach, it was no less effective. Three highlights in this one - the incredibly powerful opener "Dominate", "Dawn of the Angry" with its ungodly riff and otherworldly solo, and the harrowing "Hatework".

3) Emperor - Prometheus: The Discipline of Fire & Demise

Sure, it sounds like an Ihsahn solo project more than anything. Not that I'm complaining though, the progressive/experimental vibe of this album really works. Those trumpets on "In the Wordless Chamber" = secks.

4) Meshuggah - Catch 33

This one really needs multiple spins to fully digest its manic genius.

5) Immortal - Blizzard Beasts

An overlooked gem in their discography, this was their transition album into a more majestic style that was fully realized in "At the Heart of Winter". "Mountains of Might" and "Frostdemonstorm" are among my favorite Immortal songs ever.

Apr 7, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #19 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by radiohlite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sleater-Kinney - All Hands On the Bad One

Agree this is a great, very under-appreciated record.

Apr 7, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #20 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what are your favorite 5 albums that you are pretty sure there are not a lot of people who like them but that you think they should have? Any era. I'm not talking about complete one-off records by your cousin here (
biggrin.gif
) - but major-label stuff that you feel like you are the only one who likes it.

Here are mine:

1. Big Country - Steeltown - everyone knows their first record, but I don't know anyone likes the second - but I think it's their best

2. Prefab Sprout - Two Wheels Good/Steve McQueen - may be better known in the UK, but I have never met anyone in the US who has heard of it or likes it - but it's an 80's pop masterpiece IMO

3. Aztec Camera - High Land, Hard Rain - same as above
biggrin.gif

4. King Crimson - Islands - even the King Crimson fans I know don't seem to like it, and yet I think it's one of their best.

5. Yes - Drama - the absence of Jon Anderson makes most Yes fans poo-poo this record, and yet as much as I love Jon, this is my favorite Yes album.

I have the Prefab Sprout album on vinyl, lol.

High Land, Hard Rain is simply Aztec Camera's best album - Roddy Frame at his best.

1. Nick Lowe - Jesus of Cool (Pure Pop for Now People in the US) - once you start listening, you can't stop. Awesome (no hyperbole at all!) album full of catchy, pop/rock tunes.

2. Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure - "Do the Strand" and "Editions of You" alone are enough to make this a fine piece, but the other songs "Bogus Man", "Grey Lagoons", etc. aren't filler, either.

3. Lloyd Cole and the Commotions - Rattlesnakes - This album ranks up there with Aztec Camera's best. Catchy, intelligent songs. Very underrated.

4. Afghan Whigs - 1965 - soulful, nasty, predatory, and biting.

5. Madonna - Like a Virgin - just kidding. I need to get to work!

Apr 7, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #21 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Nick Lowe - Jesus of Cool (Pure Pop for Now People in the US) - once you start listening, you can't stop. Awesome (no hyperbole at all!) album full of catchy, pop/rock tunes.

Ahhh, Nick the Knife…now we're gettin' somewhere…excellent, excellent choice…weirdly enough, I've listened to it for decades but had no idea it had another name. What fantastic songs…

The Perceptionists - Black Dialogue. This hip-hop trio is usually categorized as "backpack rap" because they're on Def Jux, El-P's label. But it's really so much more…political, funny, sometimes even relaxing…made by two fine regular-guy MCs (Mr. Lif and Akrobatik) and a hip DJ (Fakts One). Humpty Hump from Digital Underground stops by for one track.

The Mekons - The Mekons Rock'n'Roll. After Big Star, the Mekons may be the most scandalously undervalued major rock band ever; they're certainly the smartest and most topical. They started out kinda art-school with the Gang Of Four, but shifted into cowpunk/Americana territory when several members settled in the states in the '80s, before there was a thing called alt-country. Rock'n'Roll is the major-label record that was s'posed to break them out of the underground, but of course, when it didn't they were shown the door. The band has made several awesome albums since this example of hard-driving perfection.

Apr 7, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #22 of 63
Big Sugar - Heated: riff-based pop rock at its finest. Truly heavy sounding. Gordie Johnson has a truly devastating guitar tone.

Cast Iron Filter - This Ugly Town: Truly great songwriting and playing from a band known more for their instrumental prowess.

The Edison Project - Do You Remember Rock and Roll?: Again, great pop rock going on here. Great playing, great singing, great songwriting, great production. Just never hit that critical mass to take it big.

The Everybodyfields - Halfway There: Electricity and the South: Gorgeous folk with pop sensibilities

The Hiss - Panic Movement: Uneven, but the high points should have been big time radio hits on modern rock radio.

I Can Lick Any Sonofabitch in the House - Menace: Southern rock mixed with punk from a band that isn't from the south shouldn't work, but it does, really well. This album absolutely drives. Seriously one of my 50 favorite albums of all time and it didn't even make a dent. Tragic really. Makes Drive-By Tuckers look like choir boys singing bubble gum pop, no small feat.

J. Mascis + The Fog - More Light: I think this is as good as any Dino Jr. record.

The Jayhawks - Tomorrow The Green Grass: Given every chance to make it big, this didn't. I have no idea why, as its a truly transcendent album. Perhaps alt-country's single best album as a genre.

Joe Purdy - Paris In the Morning: His songs have found their way into commercials and several popular TV shows (Grey's Anatomy and Lost) but his actualy albums don't get much play. A shame. My girlfriend calls this my "sad person" music, but it's also uplifting in ways too. Hits the full run of human emotion with a truly distinctive voice

Ocean Colour Scene - North Atlantic Drift: I think this is a better album than Mosely Shoals, which was a marginal hit in Britain during the prime of Noel Rock (back when Noel Gallagher could mention he liked an album and it would immediately go gold).

Old 97s - Satellite Rides: They tried to sell out and alienated many of their more hardcore alt-country fans and didn't actually make it big. Nobody really likes this album, though it's relatively well known for whatever genre its in. Hardcore fans hate it because they were "selling out" and not doing the same thing they had been doing in bars for years, casual fans barely noticed it. However, if indie pop alt-country was a genre, not only would this be the genre's best album ever, it would be as good as it could possibly get.

People In Planes - Beyond the Horizon: I keep thinking these guys are going to make it big, then they just don't clear the hump. Too good to truly succeed in corporate rock, too catchy to truly catch on with the higher-brow crowd.

Reckless Kelly - Bullet Proof: Another too good to truly succeed in mainstream country, too catchy to catch on with the alt-country crowd, a truly great record.

The Redbelly Band - Petition to the Queen: Changed their name to Dead Confederate on their next album and kinda sorta made it with European tours and spots on Conan, this album is better than the album that ended up making it.

Ryan Bingham - Roadhouse Sun: May have gotten his big break with the soundtrack to Crazy Heart, but this is a masterpiece. Hardcore fans like previous albums better though, but this is the one you want.

The Soundtrack of Our Lives - Behind the Music: Possibly one of the best albums of the early noughties, gets no appreciation.

Stewart and Winfield - 'Bout Time: just fun, laid back alt-country.

The Waxwings - Low to the Ground: Indie pop rock at its finest. Jangly, pretty and catchy all in turns, such a great album.

Apr 7, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #23 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Jayhawks - Tomorrow The Green Grass: Given every chance to make it big, this didn't. I have no idea why, as its a truly transcendent album. Perhaps alt-country's single best album as a genre.

Another tremendously good, unappreciated gem.

LOVING the lists guys!

Apr 7, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #24 of 63
can I use "truly great" a couple more times? lol

Apr 7, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #25 of 63
referring to The Jayhawks - Tomorrow the Green Grass :

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another tremendously good, unappreciated gem.

Almost didn't put it on the list because it is very popular for an alt-country album. However, it should have become massively popular and perhaps pushed alt-country as a genre more into the mainstream, much like Nevermind and Ten did for Seattle grunge.

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #26 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

3. Lloyd Cole and the Commotions - Rattlesnakes - This album ranks up there with Aztec Camera's best. Catchy, intelligent songs. Very underrated.

I love that album!, always have
But I don't know if they are/were underrated, in the Netherlands they were much appreciated at the time.
The same goes for Aztec Camera, underrated? (I never liked them though) and Prefab Sprout (I love the song "Bonny")

So I am not sure about my list, probably more people than I'd imagine like these albums...

Lambchop - How I quit smoking
Screaming Trees - Uncle Anasthesia (with The Pixies and Dinosaur Jr. the reason why I feel and always felt Nirvana was a bit overrated - I don't own any Nirvana record...)
The Only Ones - John Peel sesions
The Wipers - Over the Edge
Kevin Kinney - McDougal Blues
Richard Buckner - all albums...

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #27 of 63
Dweezil Zappa: Shampoohorn -

Frank Zappa: All of it (OK, maybe not 'Man from Utopia')

Defunkt: pretty much all of them

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #28 of 63
Coroner -Grin (1993)
The best and least selling album by possibly the greatest and most underrated thrash band from the (late) golden age of metal. Most old-school fans hate it because it's too progressive. Tasteful and groovy. 'Serpent Moves' is my favourite metal song of all time. It's more than metal; it breathes the blues but has an industrial edge. Check it.

Three piece bands are the best.

^btw how is FZ underrated? Everyone knows he is a legend...the deadly yellow snow cone has blinded me,.. temporarily
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #29 of 63
Blind Faith: Not exactly unpopular, but I don't think it gets the attention it deserves.
Grand Funk Railroad - Grand Funk: GFR sold out Shay Stadium faster than the Beatles. All but 4 of their 13 albums were certified gold or higher. But no one seems to remember them.
Leslie West - Mountain: One of my favorite guitar players. His debut album and the following Mountain albums are great.
mewithoutYou - Catch for us the Foxes: Great album. I wish it was more popular (but it isn't exactly unknown).
The Call - Reconciled: The Call was endorsed by Peter Gabriel, released 10 albums and a few singles, and then forgotten. This is my favorite album of theirs.

Apr 12, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #30 of 63
Enon - Believo!: Electro-rock grunge pop band that write great songs. But don't have the recognition they deserve.
Quasi - Featuring "Birds": Duo from Portland, ex bandmates with Elliot Smith and Sleater-Kinney know how to synth-rock.
Earlimart - Everyone Down here: Very satisfying rock music with warm sweeping melodies.
Herman Dune - Giant: Swedish singer plays some of the sweetest songs I've heard.
Opal - Early recordinds: This is that band that for better or worse hooked up with Hope Sandoval (Mazzy Star) but I liked them more before.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back