Your opinion.......What is the greatest 5 minutes of music ever written / recorded
Sep 12, 2008 at 12:12 PM Post #16 of 33
Final 5 minutes of Mahler 2nd.......... final revealtion of all to man, how can you top that!

Solti/CSO performs it with a transcendent power and drama no one has yet matched, headphones cannot capture this spectacle need room filling stereo with extended low end so you can feel the heavens shake

Sep 12, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which moves you the most?

Why don't you stick to making polls? These questions are way too hard.
tongue.gif

There are so many great and moving parts in so many songs that it's impossible for me to pick just one. But, since that's what you requested, I am going to anyway. For me it would have to be Love Reign O'er by The Who.

Sep 12, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #19 of 33
another vote for Beethoven Opus 111 Arietta. Moving, engrossing, and incredibly ahead of its times.

But for me the greatest five minutes (well maybe ten) in music are not moving, but funny: scenes VI, VII and VIII from the second act of Mozart Marriage of Figaro. This is the moment when the Count of Almaviva storms into his wife apartment certain to find her lover and finds her maid instead. It is absolutely wonderful how the music conveys the continuously changing emotions of the three characters (rage, fear, and then, when it turns out there is no lover in the room, astonishment, relief, mockery). Somehow it makes you laugh and have goosebumps at the same time.

Sep 12, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #21 of 33
For music: Autumn Leaves. I love that song, and most any version I've heard of it, but probably Wynton Kelly Trio's version from Full View takes the cake.

For recording: Nine Inch Nails - Closer.

Sep 13, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Facade19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
4:33 by John Cage.

Somebody had to go there.

Anyways, this is of course a silly question (though not necessarily a bad one) because a single favorite/best/most is unlikely for a music lover. However, an absolutely transcendent moment that comes to my mind right now is the contrast between the molto adagio and the andante in the third movement of Beethoven's String Quartet No. 15 in A minor. Time seems to stop for me during the adagio, and when the andante theme comes in it's incredibly thrilling. I don't know how this movement could be distilled down into 5 minutes, but this is all I can think of right now.

Sep 13, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #27 of 33
Mother Love Bone - Crown of Thorns

One of the best songs ever written in my opinion. It is a shame the band fell into obscurity after Andy Woods death.

-edit-

I guess since the song is 6:22 in length it doesn't really count but it seems the thread has descended into "whats your favourite song" anyway.

Sep 13, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by John E Woven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say brain damage / eclipse from the dark side of the moon.

Though 5 minutes really isn't enough.

I'd have to agree with your choice.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back