Your opinion on Hilary Hahn?
Feb 16, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #16 of 36
How are her Mozart violin sonatas?

Feb 16, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Her playing is outstanding! But there is more to it than that, I’ve heard interviewed several times and she is extremely intelligent, as well.

- augustwest

Most virtuosos are.

Feb 16, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #21 of 36
Lang Lang left mediocrity behind long ago. His "interpretations" are like caricatures of the music. It's sickening that he's the kind of person behind which the music industry is throwing all its marketing muscle.

Luckily there are others, like Hilary Hahn, who are both well-marketed and impeccable artists. In 30 years, Hilary Hahn will be part of the pantheon of legendary performers, while many of the other young stars of this generation will have been fleeting flashes in the pan. She's not superior to the great violinists before her, but she is already on her way to belonging beside them.

-Jay

Feb 16, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #22 of 36
Let us be hospitable and give Lang Lang the duration of this year to show us something just like we have been patient with Ms. Hahn. I do think he is a bit over promoted and heavily marketed, but I also think that he is still one of the better pianists with that kind of fame. Unfortunately, musicians do not develop the way in which our biases would prefer.

Feb 16, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #23 of 36
Welly,

Lang Lang is, very unfortunately, what is termed a virtuoso hack. He can play anything, but the artistic sensiblity that distinguishes the true geniuses seems to be missing. He may mature, but at the age of 24, he should be well into his mature phase. He reminds me of so many child actors who astound the world with their talents as children but then cannot make the transition to mature roles.

Feb 16, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #24 of 36
I saw Lang Lang in China where he has celebrity status. The musical performance was so-so but he sure knows how to put on a show when playing.

Feb 17, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is hilary better than joshua bell?

Yes, I think so. There are some Bell recordings I like quite a bit, but in general he's a little too schmaltzy for me.

Welly, Lang Lang has had more than enough time. Hahn has never put out a record that's even close to as bad as Lang's empty, all-for-show dreck.

-Jay

Feb 17, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #27 of 36
Technically brilliant. Musically, mediocre.

Feb 17, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #29 of 36
In defense of Lang Lang, his problem is that he got sucked into fame too early. He still isn't very mature -- having watched interviews with him, I'd say he's emotionally and socially closer to 19 than 24 -- and so it's no surprise that his performances have much of the same character. The danger though is that he'll be stuck with the child prodigy problem -- getting stuck in the ways/mindset/moment that made him famous, never able to truly move past.

I like Hilary Hahn. Her first two albums were nothing special, but she hit her stride with "Barber & Meyer: Violin Concertos" which does have a very fine emotional component, and she has been maturing since then.

Feb 17, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #30 of 36
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back