Your opinion on Hilary Hahn?
Aug 1, 2005 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

saint.panda

Headphoneus Supremus
Lately I just can't enough of her. I now have all her recordings and enjoy them big time, especially the Bach and Beethoven concertos. For the latter, as far as enyjoment is concerned, I would put her on the same level as Perlman/Giulini or Heifetz/Munch or Schneiderhan/Jochum (not a big fan of this interpretation) although for different criteria. The Bach is just nothing short of amazing.

I've heard some of the complaints: lack of emotion, too dry, all technique but no vigor. But there's just this suasiveness and adorable lightness with which she plays the notes. No edges, poised, serene and with seemingly no effort at all. Not really the grand virtuoso or spiritual player but just so very adorable, especially when I start picturing this still young lady playing the violin in the middle of the grand orchestra.

What are your thoughts on Ms Hahn?

Aug 1, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 36
I am listening to Ms. Hilary Hahn's Bach Concertos on Hybrid SA-CD. It is my reference disc for sure. In fact, I love all of her music including her newest Elgar and Vaughan Williams Hybrid SA-CD which I will replay later tonight. Her critics are just jealous of her prodigious talent and I wouldn't mind them. Her interpretation and virtuousity are simply sublime and raptuous. I can hardly wait for her next release regardless of the format!

Aug 1, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #3 of 36
I wasn't expecting much: another over-hyped wunderkind. Then I picked up her recording of the Elgar concerto. Wow! That is amazing. The technique is flawless. But more important, she plays it with the understanding of many much older virtuosi. I'm sold. She's a real musician.

Aug 1, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #4 of 36
Pretty much everything that's already been said.

Plus, she's a hotty.

Aug 1, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #6 of 36
Maybe it has been over hyped but when I picked up Hilary Hahn's Brahms Concerto, I was not overly impressed. She is good but lack the oomph that I was hoping to hear. Also, to my ears, she lacks the extra romantic touch...... Also, I find her violin sound to be a little "squeeky"...

Personally, I much prefer Sophie Ann Mutter...at least to my ears. She got the Brahms and Beethoven just right. I like her style for the romantic period. Also, I prefer her violin sound. Midori is also not bad...but not quite in the same class as both Sophie nor Hilary.

Oh well, just my 2 VERY subjective cents..

Aug 1, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 36
She is alright. She is also fairly young, which means her style will mature. With a little time, I think she'll be alright.

Not being married to Andre Previn is a plus in my book, too.

Aug 2, 2005 at 2:16 AM Post #8 of 36
I second the notion that she has a "young" sound. This makes her Shostakovich, at least to my mind, second-rate. It seems like she doesn't really get "into" the pathos of the piece.

However, her virtuosity is second to none. In the Mendelssohn, 3rd movement, she is my favorite of all performers. She somehow manages to out-Heifetz Heifetz.

Also, as has already been mentioned, her Brahms is quite good.

Aug 2, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #9 of 36
Technically she is very proficient. She musical interpretation is also quite original. There is a sense of youthful vigor in her music, which is fitting for her age, and I look forward to her maturing over the next decades. She has what it takes to go all the way and become a maestro, IMHO. Unfortunately, record companies are too eager to record all the major repertoire with her. Thus will certianly harm her recording career in the long run. I like Hanh more than Mutter, who to me is overrated. As for Midori, she is the only major violinist I have heard in two live concerts--the less said about the experience the better.

Aug 3, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #10 of 36
A lot of energy, I can't wait for her to mature, but that's all been said.

What I want to add is that a conductor will often tailor the music to fit the soloist. In this case, it probably means playing the music faster and livelier to highlight her strengths. It all adds to the rendition.

More important... Where are the CD recomendations?

Feb 16, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #13 of 36
Her Paganini and Spohr is as good as her Bach Concertos (IMHO) and it showcases not only her development and maturation, but her dogged efforts to combat her stereotypes. Highly recommended!

In fact, I will replay it again later.

Feb 16, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Her Paganini and Spohr is as good as her Bach Concertos (IMHO) and it showcases not only her development and maturation, but her dogged efforts to combat her stereotypes. Highly recommended!

In fact, I will replay it again later.

That Paganini/Spohr recording is excellent; it's garnered awards, and recognition all over the place. Additionally, Eiji Oué's support with the Swedish Radio SO is impeccable. It's only too bad that it wasn't released as an SACD/hybrid. She's easily one of the most brilliant violinists around today.

942908.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back