Your opinion on Hilary Hahn?
Feb 18, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #31 of 36
Apparently, Sibelius and Schönberg are next for Ms. Hahn. I absolutely adore the Sibelius concerto and am really looking forward to this release.

Feb 18, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #32 of 36
yes, me too but it is still at least another 1.5 years away before that CD comes out.
frown.gif

Feb 18, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #33 of 36
10+ years ago I swore I would never get taken in again by any more physically appealing next hot thing violinists. I have constantly been disappointed newer recordings, especially those who came out of the Dorothy Delay school. I own multiple versions of the violin rep. performed by the masters, but have limited listening time, so trying out the new artists was just turning into a waste of money for me.

And what leaves me shaking my head is that violinists who I found rather mediorcre (for soloists) still get these gushing user reviews. I'm not just talking about people with different taste than mine. When was the last time the hot new violinist was just a plain looking person? Imagine the career Kavakos would be having if he looked like Joshie!

Alright, so after reading some rather credible hype, I broke my rule and tried HH's Beethoven, paired with a work by Bernstein, with Zinman/Baltimore. I have to say that I loved it. It was not self-indulgent. Her tone is very pleasing. Technical passages were clean. She sometimes played a little sharp in the top octave during the first movement, but not to an unforgivable degree.

But those are just the reasons why I didn't dislike it. The reason I though it was a great performance is because she displayed a superb sense of line; a concept of the work leading somewhere and not being a string of phrases; a fresh reading but one that was about Beethoven, not the performer's ego.

And the orchestra was with the program. I thought the Baltimore strings were quite strong, the winds a bit flaccid (due to recording technique?). The recordings was pretty nice although as is usually the case the violinist was lit up much larger than life.

I understand that not all of HH's recorded performance are acknowledged to be on the same level of accomplishment, but I now consider myself a fan and will check out more in the future.

Feb 18, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #34 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^I would have to agree with that one... Her playing will never make a baby cry

Could you name one or two that, in our opinion, would 'make a baby cry'?

I'm still 'learning' to 'understand' classical music so I like to try a bit of everything to see what I like
smily_headphones1.gif
...and to fully understand the difference between an 'emotional' performance and a 'cold' one. thank you!

cheers

Feb 19, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #35 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by zowie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
10+ years ago I swore I would never get taken in again by any more physically appealing next hot thing violinists. I have constantly been disappointed newer recordings, especially those who came out of the Dorothy Delay school. I own multiple versions of the violin rep. performed by the masters, but have limited listening time, so trying out the new artists was just turning into a waste of money for me.

And what leaves me shaking my head is that violinists who I found rather mediorcre (for soloists) still get these gushing user reviews. I'm not just talking about people with different taste than mine. When was the last time the hot new violinist was just a plain looking person? Imagine the career Kavakos would be having if he looked like Joshie!

Alright, so after reading some rather credible hype, I broke my rule and tried HH's Beethoven, paired with a work by Bernstein, with Zinman/Baltimore. I have to say that I loved it. It was not self-indulgent. Her tone is very pleasing. Technical passages were clean. She sometimes played a little sharp in the top octave during the first movement, but not to an unforgivable degree.

But those are just the reasons why I didn't dislike it. The reason I though it was a great performance is because she displayed a superb sense of line; a concept of the work leading somewhere and not being a string of phrases; a fresh reading but one that was about Beethoven, not the performer's ego.

And the orchestra was with the program. I thought the Baltimore strings were quite strong, the winds a bit flaccid (due to recording technique?). The recordings was pretty nice although as is usually the case the violinist was lit up much larger than life.

I understand that not all of HH's recorded performance are acknowledged to be on the same level of accomplishment, but I now consider myself a fan and will check out more in the future.

That's one of her early cds. Try something later to see how she's matured. The newest one of the Paganini, Spohr vcs is excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back