Your LAPTOP Predictions....2009
Jan 14, 2009 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

stevenjchang

500+ Head-Fier
okay what are your laptop predictions for this upcoming year? at what point do you think the prices will drop? will windows 7 affect prices at all? are we going to see c2d, 4gb, 500gb at the $600 price tag? possibly with a decent card? if you could sell your current computer at $500plus (hp, c2d, 2gb, nvidia), would you sell now and get a new one now (i'm just looking to upgrade, more out of boredom or looking for a change more than anything else). is now a good time to sell and buy, or would it be unwise to do so? what are your thoughts on the laptop technology and prices of this year.

are any new models going to be coming out, to be honest, i dont like ANY laptop models out there right now (besides apple but that's WAY too expensive and impractical for my taste, even thought if u gave me one for free i'd sell my pc). the closes thing to what i like is the hp dv6000 and 2000, which is what i have now. i dont like the new hp dv4/dv5, i dont like the gateway or compaq or dell or acer. asus is okay. toshiba's totally suck right now, until they revamp it.

Jan 15, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 37
Faster CPU's and cheaper/larger SSD's.
smile.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #3 of 37
Isn't Intel rolling out the i7 chipset soon? Wait for the 32nm chips to be integrated into laptops - you'll get four cores and (hopefully) better battery life. Also, bigger and cheaper SSDs are coming. SanDisk has a 60GB one for $150 - am thinking about popping one into the MacBook.

My MacBook is about two years old, but the specs on the new one aren't that much better. I love the aluminum cases, but I'll wait for the i7 to show up. Another 13" with four cores, SSD and about 8GB of RAM would absolutely rock.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 37
I hope the release of 12" netbooks will cause manufacturers to drop ultra-portable prices, at least by a few hundred. All the decent 11/12" laptops are way too expensive.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #5 of 37
From what I've seen,

Few more of the actuall portable laptops instead of these 17" screen monsters.

2+ hour battery life (made in part to SSD's)

I wouldn't doubt an even thinner laptop also.

... or we could be stuck with the run of the mill non-portable laptops we've always had.

Jan 15, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #8 of 37
seeing as i rarely play games anymore [securom, costs etc] i think i may hang on to my current one until it breaks

its good enough for the games i got its sturdy and fast enough

maybe the more little ones about i think

Jan 15, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2008 sucked for laptops IMO. Way overpriced. I really hope things change this year.

One must never forget the "old days" of laptops. Way heavier, small screens, less performance, way less features, and last but not least, SUPER HIGH PRICES
$2000 and up.

Makes today seem not so bad. I don't know about you guys but I get spoiled more and more each day.
smile.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #12 of 37
I'd like to see Apple expand it's MacBook Air line to include a 17" inch version with a 2.5" hard drive, better speakers and the 1920x1200 screen even though I doubt it will happen but the technology is in place. There isn't much else going to be happening to the Apple laptops for a couple of years except faster processors and bigger hard drives and maybe a larger iPod Touch.

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #13 of 37
Hmm..
Lower netbook prices.
More concentration towards 10~12" netbooks.
More competition in the slim notebook section.
Cheaper 1.8"& 2.5" SLC SSDs.
Even cheaper 1.8" & 2.5" MLC SSDs.
More concentration towards increasing battery life.

Jan 15, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #14 of 37
Lenovo's revamp of their ThinkPad line last summer was great, but I'm hoping that they'll release a larger version of the X61t, possibly to be called the X500t? Lenovo will also probably update their ThinkPad line again in Q3.
Laptop-equivalent of GTX260/280?
And definitely i7 for laptops!
Windows 7 probably won't be released later this year, so it won't affect prices or anything.

Also, if you're saying that you don't like any laptop models out right now, then you definitely haven't seen ThinkPads yet! (I've never been much of a fan of HP, or at least not since my dv9000 broke... They're loud and run very hot. And the screen glare and flashiness... ew.)
You should probably wait until Q4 to buy a new laptop, to see if there are any release updates with Windows 7.

Jan 16, 2009 at 9:45 AM Post #15 of 37
I just bought myself a new laptop that I'm very happy with. 15,4 inch screen, 800€, 4gb 800hz memory, 300gb storage, RM-72 dualcore processor, HD3650 graphics card (512MB DDR3) + all the usual ingredients. Runs bioshock with full graphics very nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back