your gear or your life?
Mar 6, 2009 at 10:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

a1b2c3

hi, this is obviously a second account as I did not want to use my proper account here.

it kind of comes down to this, i've spent a lot of money on electronics and furiture to go along with it over the years. i've been able to spend $$$ because i have no other life except to come back after class to my gear and solitarily entertain myself (no pun intended). but just the other day, i've had flick through at dental and facial cosmetic surgery and found that they seem to be getting cheaper now and what ever is not, i can fly back to china and do it there.

i've always dimissed it because it was previously unaffordable so I just continued to do what i did since i was a adolescent and got my 1st job as a paperboy (i am 20 this month), buy better hardware for digital entertainment or material stuff.

after my latest round of spending i suddenly realise my spending power and the value of stuff accumulated over the years has caught up with at least getting a step into the cheaper procedures if i look around (or at least clinics are desperate for buisiness)

but it would mean either selling 1 or 2 very high quality item and/or downgrade across the board. and if i was to be normal and have a life, have friends and have a relationship, i obviously couldnt' spend nearly 90% of my disposable money on gear or related which is what currently make my life bearable and indeed pleasurable at times because otherwise i would just come back to my room and it'll be like a prison cell alone.

I guess i'm afraid that if even if i had the procedures my life wouldn't be much different. i'm also afraid because surgery isnt' instant, so the full effects will come after i've left college, if i did badly in life or become even more socially isolated than i am now then it would have been all for nothing. i'm just afraid that i've been socially isolated for so long it'll be like one those zoo animals that dont' do well when they're released back into the wild. but at the same time, i know i won't even start to have confidence/self esteem blah blah without physically changing something because i regard "inner beauty/glow" etc as utter rubbish.

I just thought i'd post this here because there should be a significant demographic of young people around high school, college, graduates and all of us here to varying degrees have spend a lot more than what other people would have and might have some words to put in

thanks

Mar 6, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #2 of 49
i think life is worth it. life hurts sometimes, but sometimes it's also very, very good. what it takes to get a life, i don't know if a surgery will always be the answer to that. but hey, it could help.

Mar 6, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #4 of 49
when you say "finer", it's obviously finer than what i have now, but what i have now is worse than other people's comparatively, i am not stupid and am not deluded.

insomuch as getting surgery will mean i suddenly will have a "finer" teeth or nose than other people, that would be a fortunately side effect. i mean would anyone turn to the surgeon and ask "make it look a bit worse than your normally do please"

i am considering this as a means to remove social impediments in the first instance

Mar 6, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #6 of 49
without being a jerk, no one should ask this question.
Being alive in its own right is simply magnificent.
If someone doesnt agree with me they should watch the J-drama 1 litre of tears (lololol)
^ seriously, btw
ph34r.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 11:44 AM Post #7 of 49
I think it's also a bit daft to go to China for surgery, considering I wouldn't even trust a back street chinaman to repair a DVD player. If they bodge it you have no chance of lawsuit. And you may come back looking like these "things"

Leslie_ash_mb2.jpg

128338681772968750.jpg

Mar 6, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #8 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0ofassa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
without being a jerk, no one should ask this question.
Being alive in its own right is simply magnificent.
If someone doesnt agree with me they should watch the J-drama 1 litre of tears (lololol)
^ seriously, btw
ph34r.gif

I love this dorama
smily_headphones1.gif

---------

I think from your post you really want to have the surgery. But getting the surgery does not automatically mean that your life will be better afterwards. But if you think it will help improve your life or make it easier to socialize afterwards then go for it.

Is the surgery that you are contemplating a major surgery that will require general anesthesia?

You have to realize that there are differences with the way western medicine do things as compared to eastern teachings. If you expect the medical services to be at par as to what you would get in the US that might not be so. You have to do a bit more of research first before you commit on having the surgery done in China. China is not the only option for Surgical Tourism, there are other countries that offer this as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #9 of 49
i wish you didnt call it a dorama so much...
to OP, consider yourself lucky. When you find someone who likes you, they'll like you for you and not your shiny nose.
being beautiful is such a curse
rolleyes.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #10 of 49
To the Looking-Glass world it was Alice that said
"I've a sceptre in hand, I've a crown on my head.
Let the Looking-Glass creatures, whatever they be
Come dine with the Red Queen, the White Queen and Me!"

Then fill up the glasses as quick as you can,
And sprinkle the table with buttons and bran:
Put cats in the coffee, and mice in the tea--
And welcome Queen Alice with thirty-times-three!

"O Looking-Glass creatures," quoth Alice, "draw near!
'Tis an honour to see me, a favour to hear:
'Tis a privilege high to have dinner and tea
Along with the Red Queen, the White Queen, and Me!"

Then fill up the glasses with treacle and ink,
Or anything else that is pleasant to drink:
Mix sand with the cider, and wool with the wine--
And welcome Queen Alice with ninety-times-nine!

Lewis Carroll

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #11 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by insyte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the surgery that you are contemplating a major surgery that will require general anesthesia?

China is not the only option for Surgical Tourism, there are other countries that offer this as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am considering Invisalign orthodontic braces followed by replacing all currently too yellow colour fillings (people might think i dont brush teeth, hence the yellowish colour but thats not true) and getting veneers. then i have some spots due to either natural melanin or late chickenpox at 18 that i would like to be blasted off the skin.

i mention china because that's where i was from originally.

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #12 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by usc goose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think life is worth it. life hurts sometimes, but sometimes it's also very, very good. what it takes to get a life, i don't know if a surgery will always be the answer to that. but hey, it could help.

Listen to that. There are ups and downs.
Live your life, find your friends and just be yourself. It is okay for you to get into a fight every now and then with friends and all so don't try working around it. It stops you from actually living. You can't be happy if you don't know sadness, really. I hope you feel happier in the future!

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #13 of 49
Not to say you shouldn't fix your teeth or get your spots zapped off, but I doubt if it will 'fix' your life. However, dealing with your insecurity and de-cloistering yourself might help.

You have all this gear because you love music, right? Go out and check out some original live music at a local lounge or bar, or wherever you can if you're underage. Go see a funk band or electronic artist and dance your tail off, or go to a scuzzy blues or jazz club. Some clubs will have better musicians than others, and you can use the power of the internet to find out which offer the best music and ambience in your city. You will make friends and bond with people who like music as much as you do (even if they're not as obsessed with gear as most of us are). I cannot tell you how many lifelong friends I have met in small live music venues, while getting my mind blown by top quality session musicians jamming at 2 am.

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #14 of 49
Most of us are self-conscious of how we look...if you think its affecting your social life..your mindset is the culprit...not your looks..

ya grooming is important...you can get the teeth fixed if it makes you feel better.

but If your gear is replacing your social life...its not worth it.

i listen to music mostly at night time ..during day i go out..infact just got back from a field trip to a beer factory...drank freshly brewed beer in the tavern with friends..thats life.

go and experience it.

you will have plenty of time to spend with the gear when you are old and no ones around you.

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #15 of 49
Who are you?
Obviously don't have balls to stand behind this with your regular user name...
popcorn.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by a1b2c3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi, this is obviously a second account as I did not want to use my proper account here.

it kind of comes down to this, i've spent a lot of money on electronics and furiture to go along with it over the years. i've been able to spend $$$ because i have no other life except to come back after class to my gear and solitarily entertain myself (no pun intended). but just the other day, i've had flick through at dental and facial cosmetic surgery and found that they seem to be getting cheaper now and what ever is not, i can fly back to china and do it there.

i've always dimissed it because it was previously unaffordable so I just continued to do what i did since i was a adolescent and got my 1st job as a paperboy (i am 20 this month), buy better hardware for digital entertainment or material stuff.

after my latest round of spending i suddenly realise my spending power and the value of stuff accumulated over the years has caught up with at least getting a step into the cheaper procedures if i look around (or at least clinics are desperate for buisiness)

but it would mean either selling 1 or 2 very high quality item and/or downgrade across the board. and if i was to be normal and have a life, have friends and have a relationship, i obviously couldnt' spend nearly 90% of my disposable money on gear or related which is what currently make my life bearable and indeed pleasurable at times because otherwise i would just come back to my room and it'll be like a prison cell alone.

I guess i'm afraid that if even if i had the procedures my life wouldn't be much different. i'm also afraid because surgery isnt' instant, so the full effects will come after i've left college, if i did badly in life or become even more socially isolated than i am now then it would have been all for nothing. i'm just afraid that i've been socially isolated for so long it'll be like one those zoo animals that dont' do well when they're released back into the wild. but at the same time, i know i won't even start to have confidence/self esteem blah blah without physically changing something because i regard "inner beauty/glow" etc as utter rubbish.

I just thought i'd post this here because there should be a significant demographic of young people around high school, college, graduates and all of us here to varying degrees have spend a lot more than what other people would have and might have some words to put in

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back