Your first music purchase?
Oct 4, 2002 at 7:50 AM Post #33 of 55
What an interesting question!
I think it was a local band called "Kalapana" or "Chicago at Carnegie Hall."
I also bought my first set of cans too...some tan Koss closed cans that lasted me through high school.
md

Oct 5, 2002 at 7:47 AM Post #34 of 55
when in rome is the group's name, i think. they did that song 'the promise.' (crappy album, btw) quite different from the vandels.

Oct 6, 2002 at 1:14 AM Post #35 of 55
Back in 1997 when I was a teenager (oh wait, I'm still a teenager).
smily_headphones1.gif

It was "What's The Story (Morning Glory)?" by Oasis.

Oct 6, 2002 at 1:23 AM Post #36 of 55
Great question which I'm happy to answer on the basis that my first purchase turns out to be pretty cool.

I was 10 years old in 1980, and my first music purchase with my own hard-earned allowance (although not the first album I owned) was AC/DC "Back in Black". Pretty cool, huh?
cool.gif
Thanks for bringing back this memory.

Mark

Oct 6, 2002 at 4:20 PM Post #38 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by millerdog:

I think it was a local band called "Kalapana" or "Chicago at Carnegie Hall."

I purchased the Chicago at Carnegie Hall vinyl LP when I was in Jr. High. It came with a poster that was about the size of the ceiling in my bedroom, which is where I put it. I think I still have the poster somewhere.

Oct 7, 2002 at 5:59 PM Post #39 of 55
My first purchase myself of any music was a 7" single of Kim Wilde: Rage To Love with Putty In Your Hands as the b-side. That would be around 1983. I was 9!

My first music casette was bought for me by my father back in the late 70' and it was Abba - Greatest Hits. You know, the one with them sat on a park bench with a big tree in the background.

My first CD was the OST of Blues Brothers. I bought this in 1990 and still have it. It gets played occasionally, usually after watching the movie on tv.

I do remember with some fondness, sitting on my fathers knee at a very young age listening with a cheap pair of headphones to various singles that he had. Cat Stevens springs immediately to mind as one that got played regular. Leo Sayer and Elton John were big favourites of my dad so those are ingrained in my Psyche.

I remember my first day at school which would be around 1978 - I was 4 years old - and I distinctly remember (christ know why) him playing "The Times They Are A Changin" by Bob Dylan.

I do remember that at Christmas 1980 he got the John Lennon - Collection on LP along with Abba - Super Trouper.

I guess music has played a big part in my life from an early age. Initially I took a liking to the nice colourful sleeves to LPs like the War Of The Worlds by Jeff Wayne, Flash Gordon and News Of the World by Queen (with the robot on the cover).

Ah.... happy days.

Sound As Ever

Oct 7, 2002 at 9:51 PM Post #40 of 55
(Oh My, I want that Denon M30)

I don't remember the very first recording I bought (cassette)... but the first CD I bought was Roxette's "Tourism" in 1993 (it came out in 92). It's an American release, back when "EMI America Records" was around as a label.

Pray for the female half of Roxette cause she just had a brain tumor removed
smily_headphones1.gif

I always say my first musical memory was Peter Cetera's "glory of love"... and started watching music videos when I was 6. Much better than going out to play
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 9, 2002 at 9:26 PM Post #42 of 55
I am going to trump you all in the coolest first music purchase ever in my life:

Cassette single - C+C Music Factory "Everybody Dance Now"

I am proud to say I have no idea where the hell it is these days...

Oct 10, 2002 at 1:30 AM Post #43 of 55
First LP: Beatles, "Let It Be." I bought it as a cut-out in Korvettes (!!) in NYC around 1971

First CD: David Murray, "Home," around 1983

Oct 10, 2002 at 2:21 AM Post #44 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
First LP: Beatles, "Let It Be." I bought it as a cut-out in Korvettes (!!) in NYC around 1971

Oh man, Korvettes was the best. I have their 25th anniversary three record set. The music is crap, but I really wanted to own a three-record set and it was only .99 as a cut-out in the days I bought records with piggy-bank change.

This thread got me remembering for the first time in years how the records and tapes had letter stickers, not prices, and you had to look up the price on a big board. Double letters meant bad news.

Oct 10, 2002 at 2:48 AM Post #45 of 55
Boston - self titled album (vinyl)

We had an assembly in elementary school and they played "more than a feeling" with lasers 'dancing' to the music on a big screen in the front of the auditorium...it rocked and I thought that was the best thing since sliced bread
biggrin.gif

(what was the best thing before sliced bread
wink.gif
)

I still have that album in vinyl but I sold my turntable
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back