Your Favourite Basshead Album
Oct 18, 2003 at 2:24 AM Post #17 of 39
DJ Shadow "Diminishing Returns"

Damn thing has some slamming bass. I dare anyone to listen to this cd with DT770 pros.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #20 of 39
Covering the classic rock angle, Entwistle really tears up his fretboard on Quadrophenia, but it's not really a basshead album. Same thing for Larks' Tongues in Aspic by King Crimson; John Wetton doesn't shine as often, but hear his lines in the title tracks.

In hip hop, The Low End Theory by A Tribe Called Quest. Great emphasis on bass (they even managed to get legendary bassist Ron Carter to guest), even greater lyrics.

Apr 29, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #21 of 39
Dynamix II-"Color Beats"
Simple yet techy retro breaks with some of the most wicked bass lines youll ever hear.

Apr 29, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #22 of 39
when i think basshead i usually think hip hop or electronic music. for that arabian prince is old school bass heavy.
but for real bass from an amazing bass player mike watt is king. try the firehose cd flyin the flannel, a powerhouse bass performance

Apr 30, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #23 of 39
Sandra Collins - Tranceport III - Track 3 "Bradley-Rush" The bass in that song drags you down into a deep dark black hole and then brings you back out again. Listened to it at Headfest with my e500/Vibez(flac) combo and the Tomahawk that was there. Pure audio bliss.

Apr 30, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #25 of 39
I can't speak to its album as a whole, but Three6 Mafia's Late Nite Tip has the most melodic bass overload I've ever heard. I find the song fairly stupid content wise, but from a pure bass standpoint, this is it imho.
Though there are so many. I'm sure some will argue anything modern is too heavy in bass already.

Also BT and Crystal Method.

Apr 30, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #26 of 39
Isn't "basshead" old slang for a crack addict?

Reggae is my crack.

Dub Massive vol. 1 is a bunch of old dub tunes that were enhanced by Bill Laswell. Awesome stuff. Also a Jersey group called Dub Trio that plays dub live.

Apr 30, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Braver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
King Crimson - Discipline

the way Levin plays the Stick on that disc just completely blows my mind. off-the-hook!

For "real" basshead goodness with super deep extension I go for The Projekcts. They hit the lowest registers on those improvs, earth rattling stuff.

Just had a listen to a couple sides of MMW's End of the World Party, definitely some good basshead moments there especially when the acoustic bass is bouncing along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back