Your favorite web browser? and why is it your favorite?
Feb 13, 2011 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

bcasey25raptor

Aka: Brycon Casey
aka mental patient
aka Enter Darkness
aka Shurefan
aka reaperofaudio
aka everyone knows
aka very funny
i will start. my favorite is firefox and it always will be firefox. my reasons are the following. firefox has plenty of add ons. it is fast especially firefox4 beta 11. and it looks good. i love the open source community and will always use firefox. that is unless they make a really garbage release. which is yet to happen other then the fact that firefox 3.6.x is a bloat monster i find firefox4 beta 11 to be less bloaty and much faster. and i am patiently awaiting the firefox 4 release. another reason i stick with it is i dislike internet explorer as it is a very slow and insecure web browser and chrome is made by google and i have a fond hatred of most things google makes, safari just plain runs bad on windows, and the only good contender is opera which i rather like but i find it rather slow sometimes.

so what is yours.

Feb 13, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #2 of 64
I'm also a Firefox user....yet I have no complaints with 3.6.13. Internet Exploder sucks.

Feb 13, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #3 of 64
Firefox user here. The whole flexibility it has that allows the user to customize it to do just about anything. I mean, if you want you can even control your media player from within the browser
biggrin.gif
Though I do have safari around just in case of the rare page that doesn't render properly. Also very curious to see what firefox 4 will bring. I did a parallel older beta install only to run the addon compatibility checker to inform the authors of my addons if they were compatible or not, then I went back to 3.6.

Feb 13, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #5 of 64
I've settled on Chrome for the time being. Over the past summer I used Opera for a while, and it worked very well. I used to be strictly Firefox until the bloat caught up with me. It got to the point where it was almost useless on my netbook, whereas Chrome performed noticeably better. Firefox's initial startup time was positively glacial, to the point that it made my little Eee practically catatonic when it was loading.

I'm anxiously watching Firefox 4 and have downloaded numerous betas; however, the fonts look weird and fuzzy with the Direct2D stuff enabled, and as that's where a lot of its speed potential is rooted, it's a non-starter for me. I would also love a working port of Turn Off the Lights, a Chrome extension for YouTube I've found I now cannot live without. The current one requires manual input every time you want the effect to happen which, on a long playlist, entirely defeats the point.

Feb 13, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #6 of 64
If that chrome extension is what I think it is, then I'd love to have it for firefox, and to use on media sites other than youtube as well.

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #7 of 64
Microsoft Windows Internet Explorer 8. I love it because it plays my Sirius XM satellite radio whereas the other web browsers do not work. It is secure too with good security and privacy features. It is easy to use with little fuss. Sure, it has its detractors and its quirky problems. But, I uninstalled all of the other web browsers and I stick with IE 8 because it is a proven web browser and technology. I can also do my FAFSA direct student loans and my Social Security work on IE 8 because it is compatible.

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #8 of 64
^^^

Another vote for IE. I've tried Firefox a couple of times and wasn't all that impressed. Several years ago I tried Opera and it ended up crashing my PC twice. I haven't tried Chrome, but at this point I figure why bother when I'm satisfied with IE. I'm also looking forward to IE9.

Feb 13, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #9 of 64
I'm currently using Firefox. I love the plug-ins, especially X-Marks, which lets me sync my bookmarks across all the PC's I use, at work and at home. I've been thinking about Chrome, but I don't want to give up my X-Marks, as I have multiple PCs at work and home.

Feb 13, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #10 of 64
Feb 13, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #13 of 64
Firefox with Chrome as a close runner up

fast and not (all that) bloated. Also I have to admit to a huge hate for IE#, kludgy pos

Feb 13, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #15 of 64
Firefox 4 beta.

I can't get used to chrome. IE9 is looking better than its predecessors but I don't like how tight the layout is nor the combined search/adress bar. Firefox 4 is striking a good compromise in between a compact layout (tabs are now in the title bar when maximized) and usability.

Oh, and I can't live without the "elements hiding helper" for adblock plus and strangely it seems to work best in firefox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back