Your Favorite War Movie/Film?
Apr 30, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #17 of 94
the pianist
The Great escape
btw... apparently "They marched into sunlight" is going to be made into a movie in a few years.

Apr 30, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #18 of 94
Apocalypse Now.
M*A*S*H

Grave of the Fireflies is one of the most devastating movies I've ever seen. It should be seen, but is so heartbreaking that it is nearly unwatchable.

Apr 30, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #19 of 94
The Longest Day, without a doubt. And, though not as critically acclaimed, I've always liked Tora, Tora, Tora.

Apr 30, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #20 of 94
Band of Brothers
The Green Berets
Full Metal Jacket
Platoon
Blackhawk Down
Patton
Saving Private Ryan
Apocalypse Now
The Battle of the Bulge
Hotel Rawanda

Apr 30, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #21 of 94
hmmm....what a tough question.

Give me Apocalypse Now or The Bridge on the River Kwai tied for first.

Full Metal Jacket is a distant third.

Saving Ryan and the List are good, but after every repeated viewing I just can't get the Spielberg heavy shmaltz taste out of my mouth:

"I should of sold the car!" Oscar

"Earn it" Captain

Please, ol' Steven just can't help himself. He can show depravity with the best but can't help tying a neat little bow when it is all said and done. In fact, I'm inclined to rank Empire of the Sun above the two, and definitely Munich if one views it as a war film.

I'm sure many like the above would beg to differ though.
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #22 of 94
Oops, thought of one more, though it might not be a true war movie: Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love The Bomb.

From the performances by Peter Sellers (who played three roles: the President, Colonel Lionel Mandrake and Dr. Strangelove), to the wildly psychotic Gen. Jack Ripper (whose chief fear in life is the corruption of his precious bodily fluids), to George C. Scott's bombastic Buck Turgidson, to the folksy Slim Pickens, this film is, imho, the greatest black comedy in the history of American cinema.

Apr 30, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #23 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
Oops, thought of one more, though it might not be a true war movie: Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love The Bomb.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room!."

Apr 30, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #25 of 94
I have to put in another vote for Tora Tora Tora and also The Great Escape

Apr 30, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #26 of 94
Quote:

Grave of the Fireflies is one of the most devastating movies I've ever seen. It should be seen, but is so heartbreaking that it is nearly unwatchable.

QFT

I didn't think it was good until I realized how well the main character worked as a metaphor for Japan at the time.

spoilers:
He could have gone back to that lady's house, like the guy in the rice field told him to, but he was too proud, which had devastating consequences for those depending on him.

Apr 30, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #27 of 94
paths of glory
platoon
full metal jacket
thin red line
dr strangelove
apocolypse now
saving pvt ryan
guns of navarone
spartacus
mash
year of living dangerously
henry v (branaugh)
gallipoli
breaker morant

Apr 30, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #29 of 94
*Warning Rant*

I'm probably the only person in this whole freaking world that hated Grave of the Fireflies, not because it was sad, but because it was annoying. I know they were trying to make us sympathic to the main characters but by the end I hated both of them so much....

To me the older brother was simply stupid. Yes I know that he is only a kid and these were extreme circumstances, but at the same time he acted like an idiot for most of the movie that I didn't care about him after the first half hour.

The younger sister was the same. The movie kept forcing it down our throats how cute and innocent she was that I wanted to strangle the little brat myself.

HOWEVER, I did think the storyline was good. For the most part it was well animated and well plotted. I just first they did a better job of developing the characters.

Apr 30, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #30 of 94
Quote:

To me the older brother was simply stupid. Yes I know that he is only a kid and these were extreme circumstances, but at the same time he acted like an idiot for most of the movie

I agree completely. Did you read my post?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back