Your Favorite V Shape cans?
Jun 19, 2020 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TWerk

Headphoneus Supremus
For my fellow lovers of the dirty V (the frequency response, you dirty mind...) what's your favorite V shaped can?

I listen to a lot of EDM, so having exciting sparkly treble and tight punchy bass is very important to me.

1) I'll volunteer Ultrasone first - in general, I've always found them to sound extremely exciting with their punchy low end and with crisp crunchy highs and great imaging. Their Performance 880 headphone is my favorite so far. A perfect V shape. However, HFI 2400 and 780 do well enough along with some of their pro models. The general sound signature remains pretty consistent across models, of which I've had many.

2) Beyerdynamic nailed V shape with the PRO 1770. I've heard a lot of Beyers, but for me often they can have pretty fatiguing sharp highs. The 1770 has a great bass response, goes low and hits hard. The treble is dialed in just right, aggressive but not overly so. These headphones to me are just V shape through and through, but done so well. The imaging is stellar as well.

So yeah, I'll go with Ultrasone 880 and Beyer 1770 to kick this off for over ears.

For IEM - my recommendation is for Yamaha's EPH-100. Absolutely love those little buds. My favorite IEM's by a long shot.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #2 of 8
For headphones, it's definitely the Fostex TH900 Mk2. The king of v-shaped cans, IMO.

Other good headphones with a v-shaped signature are the Beyerdynamic T5p (2nd Gen), the Ultrasone PRO 900, and the Ultrasone Signature DJ.

For earphones, these are my favorites with a V-shaped sound - Acoustune HS1650CU, Beyerdynamic Xelento, and the FiiO FH7.

Jun 20, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #4 of 8
Probably Denon D2000. Its not "over-the-top" -V, mids, even if they are a quite recessed, still exist/have presence, bass emphasis is centered mainly in the sub-bass so it doesnt mess up mids too much and treble is delicate enough. In many ways I prefer them over D5000. One of the most versatile cans I have tried so far and I can listen pretty much everything with them despite of the V-tuning. I would call them barely V-shaped actually, "strong U" if you ask me.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #5 of 8
Denon AH-D5000. V-shaped relative to my other pair of headphones.

Jun 20, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #6 of 8
The 3 Denon cans from the past, the D2000, D5000, and the D7000 all had a mild v-shaped sound. However, they are some of the best cans in the world with that particular signature.

Jun 20, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #7 of 8
I don't like V shaped cans or speakers. But from my experience with the Fostex TR-X00 I'm willing to bet all similar headphones (TH900, Denons etc.) are great choices if you are looking for a V with slam and excellent control of bass and percussion.

Jun 20, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #8 of 8
I don't like V shaped cans or speakers. But from my experience with the Fostex TR-X00 I'm willing to bet all similar headphones (TH900, Denons etc.) are great choices if you are looking for a V with slam and excellent control of bass and percussion.
The Foster-made cans have some of the best bass in the business. Some of these headphones take a more balanced approach, whilst others, such as the TH900, go the "v-shaped" route. One thing they all have in common, though, is an excellent bass presentation. Great slam, texture, punch, and decay; it's all there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back