Your favorite sub $10,000 Speakers,...
Jul 23, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #31 of 56
Quote:
Depending on your musical taste, you generally don't need a subwoofer with a pair of high-end monitors... Most traditional instruments don't go much below that.

Fair enough... though as a bass enthusiast I have a few artists that play five and six string basses whose low B is tuned just south of 31Hz (30.868Hz) so solid response down to 30Hz was my requirement.  Not to mention that there is also a fair amount of "non-traditional" electronic music in my collection that has tones well down into the 20's.

Just clarifying.  I am sure that high end monitors like the ones you have mentioned would suit most people just fine.

Cheers

Jul 25, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #32 of 56
Stats, ribbon, planar, cone, sat/sub all have design sound, meaning characteristics specific to design. If you want all the sound, sub-bass is used in a lot of music today for electronic/electric material. Natural instruments don't live in that realm but can.

When I went looking for main channel speakers, I thought I could live with imaging, hyper-detail and sacrifice bass extension. Natural instrument wise, the non-cone technologies are impressive. But toss in prog. rock and there is a lot of sub-bass underpinnings. A well integrated sub is tricky with non-cone technologies. A smaller driver sub will be easier to match than one big driver. Three 8" vs one 18". The big driver subs are better suited for HT.

The better sounding integration of bass is cone. In this arena, there are so many sounds that you do have to do a quick spin to identify what house sound fits your tastes and environment. If your room acoustics suck, maybe single driver speakers in near field position would sound better. If you have the space, a non-cone will give you more spatial presentation. If the room is big, the full range speaker would fill the room with sound.

Cone wise, there are a lot of choices. I've liked Dunlevy, Wilson, Mirage, Dynaudio, Thiel, Snell, Dalquist, Paradigm, Harbeth, Omega, Sonab, to mention a few. Today there are hundreds of speaker makers. Hell, the older Pioneer multi driver monsters sound great on a SX-1250.

Good luck in your search.

Jul 26, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #36 of 56
In case of larger room and larger bank account :

Audionec Answers

Vivid Audio G1

wink.gif

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #37 of 56

Quote:
In case of larger room and larger bank account :

Audionec Answers

Vivid Audio G1

Um, I believe this thread is your favorite sub $10K speakers, not "name some expensive stuff you saw". The Rockport Arrakis is all conquering, but it's about as relevant here as the $54K Vivid Audio. 

Jul 26, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #39 of 56

I have owned the 3.7's for about two months, replacing a pair of Sonus faber Guarneri Memento's which go for over twice the price of the Maggies. I have heard LOTS of high-end speakers and I cannot speak highly enough of the 3.7's. They are simply amazing for the money.

Quote:
How about Magnepan 3.7's powered by some nice Pass Lab's class A amps.  You might be able to swing both for around $10k.

Jul 29, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #40 of 56
My choices below 10K

Focal Electra 1008be and 1028 BE, either is awesome and can be had for under 10K

Zu Audio Essence, with a nice tube amp, these will sound beautiful.

PSB may have some nice ones too, I have not heard any though.

Jul 30, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #42 of 56

Quote:
4N6, are the Thiel 3.7s analytical with any kind of "chill" sound at all? Thanks.

Thiel 3.7's are a completely different sounding speaker than the Magneplanar 3.7's. Both excellent, but excel in different areas. I love the Maggies due to the huge amount of unforced detail. The sounds of drums (with the skin and resonance) could not be more accurate, yet this detail is never "in your face."

Aug 2, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #44 of 56
I have a set of Linn Akkurate 242s (pricing give or take 9500 for the pair so fitting in the qualifications)  I have them set up with three linn 2250 amps, five wires, and an extra sub setup and blended in.  At the time I auditioned and then purchased them (05 or so?) they blew me away and I found for my taste I preferred them by far over a lot more expensive setups.  Haven't compared recently, but then again, I've been perfectly happy with them and upgradeitis hasn't crept in at all.  Not to mention, I can't really use them anymore with little ones in the house, and ended up moving over to head-fi.

Aug 2, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #45 of 56

Quote:
I have a set of Linn Akkurate 242s (pricing give or take 9500 for the pair so fitting in the qualifications)  I have them set up with three linn 2250 amps, five wires, and an extra sub setup and blended in.  At the time I auditioned and then purchased them (05 or so?) they blew me away and I found for my taste I preferred them by far over a lot more expensive setups.  Haven't compared recently, but then again, I've been perfectly happy with them and upgradeitis hasn't crept in at all.  Not to mention, I can't really use them anymore with little ones in the house, and ended up moving over to head-fi.

I've the Akurate 212's setup with a Majik DS-i myself. I would probably pick the Akurates as my favorites in this category as well, and I've compared a lot. At least from what's available in the Finnish market, there isn't an equivalent... If I had the extra money, I wouldn't hesitate going active with my setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back